Saturday, October 1, 2016 • Morning Edition • "The CBR of comic book journalism."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

The Cover Poll Poll!

How Do You Prefer Your COTW Art

With Trade Dress
45%
Clean Art
32%
No Preference
23%
  Total votes : 22

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:16 pm

Stephen Day wrote: I don't truly understand why you guys even want to nominate covers without the cover dress

I can't help but notice that the 'dress' supporters have presented where their case and the 'naked' voters have not ('Suck it up and just don't vote for us' is hardly explaining your position).

So I ask the nakeders - why do you feel a piece of art is the same as a cover?

Maybe you feel the dress isn't important - if so, what books were these the 'naked' covers of? (hint - none of them are related to the book they adorn) :-D
ImageImageImageImageImage

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:20 pm

All this talk about nakedness reminds me that I absolutely love nudity.

Perhaps I'm destined to enjoy more that which is not fully or properly dressed?

Oh, my therapist would love to analize that.

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:30 pm

Arion wrote:My point is, and I hope no one takes it the wrong way, we shouldn't feel angry or upset about what kind of cover we're posting in the thread. Some will prefer trade dress others cover art, and that's fine. We shouldn't have rules about this. Let's keep things casual and welcoming to both political parties (the trade-dressers and the cover-artsies).

I'm neither angry, not upset about this issue at all. I feel very strongly that my position is correct, but it's not like I have anything against those that disagree with me. We disagree when it comes to this issue -- it happens and that's life. :smt102

alaska1125

dINGO

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:26 pm

Amoebas wrote:I can't help but notice that the 'dress' supporters have presented where their case and the 'naked' voters have not ('Suck it up and just don't vote for us' is hardly explaining your position).

This is just a bullshit statement. I explicitly said that I thought it was about the art. Why the heck is this such a sticking point for you. Seriously...the poll was in a dead tie the last time I checked. Do you really need to dress down nice guys like Arion just to make a point? This whole argument has me reconsidering whether this poll is actually as fun as I thought it was supposed to be.

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:48 pm

alaska1125 wrote:This is just a bullshit statement. I explicitly said that I thought it was about the art. Why the heck is this such a sticking point for you. Seriously...the poll was in a dead tie the last time I checked. Do you really need to dress down nice guys like Arion just to make a point? This whole argument has me reconsidering whether this poll is actually as fun as I thought it was supposed to be.

Please don't stop just because of this disagreement. I agree that Amoebas seems to be taking this more seriously than he should, but that shouldn't ruin your enjoyment.

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:07 pm

alaska1125 wrote:This is just a bullshit statement. I explicitly said that I thought it was about the art. Why the heck is this such a sticking point for you. Seriously...the poll was in a dead tie the last time I checked. Do you really need to dress down nice guys like Arion just to make a point? This whole argument has me reconsidering whether this poll is actually as fun as I thought it was supposed to be.

Stephen Day wrote:Please don't stop just because of this disagreement. I agree that Amoebas seems to be taking this more seriously than he should, but that shouldn't ruin your enjoyment.

I didn't know I was dressing down Arion (who I've never once had anything but respect for). Arion, if I have somehow offended you, I apologize.

I was merely making points and asking questions in what I thought was an on-going debate.

nietoperz

The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:19 pm

All things considered, it's so even that I think it's probably wisest just to keep things the way they are.

alaska1125

dINGO

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:25 pm

Amoebas wrote:

I didn't know I was dressing down Arion (who I've never once had anything but respect for). Arion, if I have somehow offended you, I apologize.

I was merely making points and asking questions in what I thought was an on-going debate.

I only pointed out Arion because we have the same view on this and I really don't care if you dress me down...I'm only kind of nice. He's the real deal.

habitual

Silly French Man

Postby habitual » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:01 pm

nietoperz wrote:All things considered, it's so even that I think it's probably wisest just to keep things the way they are.

Truly this is a topic that only we here at the Outhouse could argue about :-D

Hab

alaska1125

dINGO

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:19 pm

You know, I pretty much started this ridiculous debate so can I end it? I'm sorry if I came off as somehow jerky. I initially wanted a ruling on what was expected since it seemed to be becoming an issue. I'm ready to just drop it and hope everyone can move on.

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:22 pm

alaska1125 wrote:You know, I pretty much started this ridiculous debate so can I end it? I'm sorry if I came off as somehow jerky. I initially wanted a ruling on what was expected since it seemed to be becoming an issue. I'm ready to just drop it and hope everyone can move on.

It's alright, I don't think this entire thing has been that great for the group of us. The debate has been had, the vote is in and Nieto has made the ruling about where things go from here. I agree it's just best to move on. :)

Pizza Dog

Dog of Pizza

Postby Pizza Dog » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:30 am

alaska1125 wrote:You know, I pretty much started this ridiculous debate so can I end it? I'm sorry if I came off as somehow jerky. I initially wanted a ruling on what was expected since it seemed to be becoming an issue. I'm ready to just drop it and hope everyone can move on.

:smt026 :smt026 :smt026

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:05 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
I'm neither angry, not upset about this issue at all. I feel very strongly that my position is correct, but it's not like I have anything against those that disagree with me. We disagree when it comes to this issue -- it happens and that's life. :smt102

Oh, I'm glad to hear that.

Most times people get upset when there is a disagreement, it's great to know that's not the case here.

All this talk about dressing down is still making me think about nudity. I've got a dirty mind, don't I?

Amoebas wrote:

Ah, don't worry about it. No offense taken. And, I hope, no one got offended by anything I said.

nietoperz wrote:All things considered, it's so even that I think it's probably wisest just to keep things the way they are.

Goody goody. That's what I wanted to hear.

alaska1125 wrote:I only pointed out Arion because we have the same view on this and I really don't care if you dress me down...I'm only kind of nice. He's the real deal.

Thank you! Nice to know I'm appreciated around here.

GHERU

Rain Partier

Postby GHERU » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:19 pm

IMO
for nomination purposes it doesn't matter
but, when voting it should be the cover people will buy

Not only because that is the actual cover, but because not all covers will have a "clean" version

GHERU

Rain Partier

Postby GHERU » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:22 pm

Arion wrote:Dynamite and other publishers offer 'virgin art' variants. And the absence of logos, numbers or any other details does not invalidate them as covers.

fair point
in those cases the nominated cover should be labeled as a virgin variant

leave a comment with facebook