Sunday, November 18, 2018 • Morning Edition • "We put the "O" in OCD."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

The Day Bleeding Cool Showed Its True Colours

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron

Rain Partier

Postby LOLtron » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:35 pm

The Day Bleeding Cool Showed Its True Colours

Alt-righty then. Let's get into it.

Source: Uncle Rich's Rumour Rag

It's well known that BleedingCool, and non-journalist Rich Johnston specifically, is known to run literally anything under the guise of news or rumors. They're not above articles like "Things I Overhead While Taking A Shit At Thought Bubble One Time." But Thursday saw a new low for the site.

On Thursday, Managing Editor Mark Seifert ran an interview with Vox Day, where he said, "he's someone who blogs about the politics and methodologies of the Alt-Right quite a lot." But before the interview portion of the article Seifert wrote a 4,800 word introduction to the piece. In the introduction, Seifert manages to touch on Chuck DixonThomas PaineThomas Nast, and Ben Franklin in an attempt to give a brief history of the political nature of American comics.

Seifert goes so far as to say that he'd rather not be interview Vox Day, which can easily be done by not fucking interview Vox Day.

I'd much rather be reading the There Will Be War series than discussing Vox Day's politics. Or writing that post about Luis Senarens that I mentioned earlier. But politics are the core of who Vox Day is and what he talks about — for the moment — so let's go.

While Johnston's name is absent from the now-deleted interview, Vox Day mentions on his blog that Johnston was involved.

Over the last few weeks, I was interviewed extensively by Mark Siefert and Rich Johnston of Bleeding Cool, the comics media site.

As mentioned in the apology/retraction article which took nearly a day to go live, Bleeding Cool's staff was unaware of the article until publication and had no chance to object.

The author admits that this was an extreme error of judgement that never should have been made and that other members of the Bleeding Cool writing staff were unaware of the contents of this article.

Following the retraction, Kaitlin Booth was promoted to Editor-In-Chief, a position many thought Johnston held, once Hannah Means-Shannon made the jump from Bleeding Cool to Dark Horse, which Johnston denies.

Bleeding Cool's apology ends with a statement to do better. While we won't hold our breath there, we know that just like a port-a-potty at a music festival, there's always a need for a place for people to spew their shit

Written or Contributed by Tim Midura

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

StupidActingSmart

Tip Top Dancer

Postby StupidActingSmart » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:46 pm

I’m not saying it couldn’t have used a little editing for length, but Seifert eruditely ripped Day’s politics to shreds.

But tell me this... is Kaitlyn Booth now RJ’s boss?

Rebirth NoctourneM

Rain Partier

Postby Rebirth NoctourneM » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:47 pm

StupidActingSmart wrote:I’m not saying it couldn’t have used a little editing for length, but Seifert eruditely ripped Day’s politics to shreds.

But tell me this... is Kaitlyn Booth now RJ’s boss?

Certainly seems to be the shake of things.

StupidActingSmart

Tip Top Dancer

Postby StupidActingSmart » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:53 pm

Generally I’d prefer not to read the views of alt-right folk, but I still find that personnel change, over this incident, baffling. And I highly doubt the apology was posted after a thorough digestion of the +17, 000 words and what they actually said.

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:38 pm

Once again, I read these things and still have no idea what it's about. What's a Vox Day, and is there a vaccine? Also, WTF is this about. All I got from casually scanning it before deciding I'd rather push nails into my skull was something something about an interview, and Bleeding Cool something something.

Cliff Notes comprehensible version for someone who has no idea what this is about, anyone?

jephd

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby jephd » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:52 pm

achilles wrote:Once again, I read these things and still have no idea what it's about. What's a Vox Day, and is there a vaccine? Also, WTF is this about. All I got from casually scanning it before deciding I'd rather push nails into my skull was something something about an interview, and Bleeding Cool something something.

Cliff Notes comprehensible version for someone who has no idea what this is about, anyone?

Vox Day is a blogger/writer who many credit as being at the forefront of the alt-right. He decries the alt-right label but mainly because its not right wong enough.
Bleeding cool ran an article in which he was interviewed. Unfortunately the interview, which by all accounts painted vox day in a terrible light, was preceded by a rambling justification of why Day was important and what his place in.pop/geek culture wss, and why bleeding cool fans should care. Whilst a critical tone was struck at times by Mark Seifert a lot of the preamble read like the build up to a puff piece.....

The internet "masses" started kicking off on anyone even remotely adjacent to bc. Including all the low/un paid writing staff who werent told about the piece and are largely very anti altright.
Seifert wss removed/jumped/moved back to his main job at avatar. Uncle Rich claims ignorance.

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:00 pm

:smt017

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:03 pm

Still confusing...

Mac E Tero

dINGO

Postby Mac E Tero » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:29 am

All you need to know is Smurfer was right.

* outhousers might know him as Peter J Deadpoole.

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:41 am

jephd wrote:Vox Day is a blogger/writer who many credit as being at the forefront of the alt-right. He decries the alt-right label but mainly because its not right wong enough.
Bleeding cool ran an article in which he was interviewed. Unfortunately the interview, which by all accounts painted vox day in a terrible light, was preceded by a rambling justification of why Day was important and what his place in.pop/geek culture wss, and why bleeding cool fans should care. Whilst a critical tone was struck at times by Mark Seifert a lot of the preamble read like the build up to a puff piece.....

The internet "masses" started kicking off on anyone even remotely adjacent to bc. Including all the low/un paid writing staff who werent told about the piece and are largely very anti altright.
Seifert wss removed/jumped/moved back to his main job at avatar. Uncle Rich claims ignorance.

Okay then, I still have questions. Like..."Vox Day"? Seriously? :lol: That was the best he could come up with? :lol: Damn, no one ever better mock "achilles" again! :lol: Or did his mom call him "Vox Day", in the hopes that he would one day become a weird blogger?

Also....why the hell would BC think any political blogger is relevant to it's mission of running with articles on comic or pop culture related stuff that is nearly 3% accurate? I mean does....excuse me while I laugh..."Vox Day" write for Marvel on the side or something?

jephd

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby jephd » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:46 am

achilles wrote:
Okay then, I still have questions. Like..."Vox Day"? Seriously? :lol: That was the best he could come up with? :lol: Damn, no one ever better mock "achilles" again! :lol: Or did his mom call him "Vox Day", in the hopes that he would one day become a weird blogger?

Also....why the hell would BC think any political blogger is relevant to it's mission of running with articles on comic or pop culture related stuff that is nearly 3% accurate? I mean does....excuse me while I laugh..."Vox Day" write for Marvel on the side or something?

All valid questions with no real answers. Welcome to teh inturwubs

Johnny Smith

biny little tird

Postby Johnny Smith » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:46 pm

I wonder what Jude Terror’s reaction to this is?

StupidActingSmart

Tip Top Dancer

Postby StupidActingSmart » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:51 am

achilles wrote:Also....why the hell would BC think any political blogger is relevant to it's mission of running with articles on comic or pop culture related stuff that is nearly 3% accurate? I mean does....excuse me while I laugh..."Vox Day" write for Marvel on the side or something?

He does write and publish superhero comics and I think that was the main reason as to why he was seen as a legitimate interviewee.

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:23 pm

Johnny Smith wrote:I wonder what Jude Terror’s reaction to this is?

Depending on how this has affected him since he works there I would think he's probably either laughing or rolling his eyes at how a story of this "importance" has been so inefficiently covered that very few here still seem to understand WTF it's about or how we should be reacting to it. :?

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:12 pm

Between this and the "article" about Wendig getting fired for his Twitter comments (which didn't address the comments he was allegedly fired for, except for the quote of "fired for 'not being civil' "), I have to wonder if it's shitty fucking journalism or excessive virtue signalling/biased writing.

leave a comment with facebook