Sunday, December 11, 2016 • Midnight Edition • "We're so sorry, DC. Please take us back."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

The Eisner Winners

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Mr. Batman

Postby Mr. Batman » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:29 pm

Glad JLA #11 won 8)

C20Percent

rubber spoon

Postby C20Percent » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:44 am

Mr. Batman wrote:Glad JLA #11 won 8)

QFT -- I think SSM Annual was good, but JLA #11 was edge-of-your-seat type stuff. And the art was creative; it really added to the mood and atmosphere. I remember reading it and thinking, "This is Meltzer's best issue of JLA." This issue was deserving.

CountD

Undead Member

Postby CountD » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:50 am

The final issue of Y, the last man was really moving.

zombiemichaeljackson

rubber spoon

Postby zombiemichaeljackson » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:43 am

I'm sorry, I just don't get the love for JLA #11. I couldn't get passed the third issue, but my friend absolutely loved it and wouldn't quit bugging me until I borrowed his and gave it another chance. I finally relented and read the first 12 issues the other day and I found it one of the most interminably boring books I've read in my life. If you liked it, good for you, but do you really think that was the best single issue of the year? Really?

Eli Katz

OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:57 am

twoheads wrote:I'm sorry, I just don't get the love for JLA #11. I couldn't get passed the third issue, but my friend absolutely loved it and wouldn't quit bugging me until I borrowed his and gave it another chance. I finally relented and read the first 12 issues the other day and I found it one of the most interminably boring books I've read in my life. If you liked it, good for you, but do you really think that was the best single issue of the year? Really?

I didn't read it, so I can't say. But I highly doubt it. I dropped JLA after issue 9 -- I just couldn't handle it anymore.

Instead, I would have picked one of the following from 2007:

Civil War: The Confession. Whatever you thought about Civil War, this last meeting between Steve and Tony was very powerful. No action, but very memorable dialogue

Criminal #5. The last issue of the first arc, Coward, was amazing. It was a perfectly written and wildly powerful conclusion.

Punisher War Journal #4. A great stand-alone issue, with B-list villains and a Doombot showing up to Stillman's wake at a seedy bar. It's a clever little story, with a very sinister but clever twist ending.

zombiemichaeljackson

rubber spoon

Postby zombiemichaeljackson » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:03 pm

Eli Katz wrote:Criminal #5. The last issue of the first arc, Coward, was amazing. It was a perfectly written and wildly powerful conclusion.

Punisher War Journal #4. A great stand-alone issue, with B-list villains and a Doombot showing up to Stillman's wake at a seedy bar. It's a clever little story, with a very sinister but clever twist ending.

Seconded on the PWJ #4, one of the best comic stories I've ever read, much less last year.

I'd say that just about any issue of Criminal, Casanova, Fables, Iron Fist, and Y: the last man are better than most of the nominees except for Johnny Hiro. That really was a great issue. I've got the first three and they're fantastic. It's basically just about this normal dude living in New york that has all this crazy shit happen to him. It's hard to explain but it's really well made and really funny.

C20Percent

rubber spoon

Postby C20Percent » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:29 pm

Eli Katz wrote:I didn't read it, so I can't say. But I highly doubt it. I dropped JLA after issue 9 -- I just couldn't handle it anymore.

Instead, I would have picked one of the following from 2007:

Civil War: The Confession. Whatever you thought about Civil War, this last meeting between Steve and Tony was very powerful. No action, but very memorable dialogue

Criminal #5. The last issue of the first arc, Coward, was amazing. It was a perfectly written and wildly powerful conclusion.

The Confession story was probably better than JLA #11, but I also think it was better than the SSM Annual. My favorite issue of any comic last year was Detective Comics #833 -- the biggest Holy Shit moment ever.

leave a comment with facebook