Advertisement

The Legion of Super-Heroes Fan Thread

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

!Pharozonk!
Snake On A Plane

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Run! It's a reboot!

Re: The Legion of Super-Heroes Fan Thread

Postby !Pharozonk! » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:51 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
Take the "mina" out of "abomination", replace it with "ort," and you have what the classic "reboot" was.

What didn't you like about it?

Also, did you like the Threboot Legion?
Long Live the Legion!

Advertisement

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 156 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:55 pm

!Pharozonk! wrote:Did you guys like the retroboot Legion? I thought Legion of Three Worlds was pretty awesome.

You mean "Legion of three Worlds, Starring Superboy Prime, Conner Kent, Bart Allen, and Superman, with a special guest appearance by the neo-classic Legion, and cameos by the Archie Legion, and the Threeboot?"

It was barely a Legion story.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:11 pm

!Pharozonk! wrote:
What didn't you like about it?

Also, did you like the Threboot Legion?

It never seemed to really get off the ground, for one thing. And as soon as things started looking optimistic during the LSV storyline, Flashpoint happened and f**ked everything up.

There were just too many issues that Levitz ignored, such as continuity problems created by Johns (among others), and a team that had really been aged a little too much into their mid-20's to early 30's.

As for the Threeboot, I liked it for what it was. It set the Legion in a more constructed 31st century, as opposed to the "generic SF" future that it had always been set in.

I liked the characters did (shock!) act like the teenagers they were supposed to be instead of acting like adults in teenaged bodies (which happened a lot in the 60's and 70's). I liked that there were cliques and relationships that were more like real teens in high school.

I liked Waid's take on Timber Wolf as more of a loner with a bit of a James Dean or Dylan Walsh kind of aura instead of being semi-feral. Not to mention his warrior-barbarian princess version of Shadow Lass.

And the tension between the not-quite boy scout Cosmic Boy and the Kerr Avon-like Brainy was brilliant. Especially the incident with the goats, because it showed Cos could outwit Brainy.

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 400 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:36 pm

Juan Cena wrote:I liked Waid's take on Timber Wolf as more of a loner with a bit of a James Dean or Dylan Walsh kind of aura instead of being semi-feral. Not to mention his warrior-barbarian princess version of Shadow Lass.

I thought Waid's take on the LSH was the best since the COIE, pretty much... Once Giffen took over the story and made them "older" and "not using code names" (which then turned into a frakking clone story ultimately)... it was never the same. Waid's felt more like the old stuff than anything else I've read since... what was that, 1987 or so?

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:46 pm

Chessack wrote:
I thought Waid's take on the LSH was the best since the COIE, pretty much... Once Giffen took over the story and made them "older" and "not using code names" (which then turned into a frakking clone story ultimately)... it was never the same. Waid's felt more like the old stuff than anything else I've read since... what was that, 1987 or so?

I know FYG has its supporters, and had its good parts (like Laurel Gand). But in the end, Legion doesn't really work in a darker, dystopian future. A furure with dark places, yes. But not a future without hope with its best days behind it.

- Sons of the Desert

!Pharozonk!
Snake On A Plane

Postby !Pharozonk! » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:57 pm

Juan Cena wrote: I know FYG has its supporters, and had its good parts (like Laurel Gand). But in the end, Legion doesn't really work in a darker, dystopian future. A furure with dark places, yes. But not a future without hope with its best days behind it.

I liked the 5YL Legion for about the first 50 issues. After that it became pretty shitty, though issue #62 is one of my all time favorite comics.
Long Live the Legion!

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 949 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:38 pm

The LoSH only really was great during the 1980s. The 1990s with the 5YG was apocryphal while entertaining was the next best. The Archie/Reboot LoSH had it's moments but nose dived by the end. The Threeboot had nice artwork from Kitson and nothing else going for it. The LS/Fourboot/52 was another apocryphal era with characters that were off and choked with political correctness and little by way of answers. 70s and earlier were fun and often silly, but fun.

What got me, and to this day, is that there was going to be a LoSH - In The Beginning series that would have retconned a ton of the classic stuff to more relevant with the modern stuff. Always wished that they had done that. Given the designs were used for the SW6 batch LoSH and the The Archie/Reboot LoSH... I had hopes.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 72 posts

Postby holtom2000 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:26 pm

not having time to read all this ... has this been mentioned?
look I the background... saw this today!
http://brandedinthe80s.com/11934/awesome-princess-bride-bedroom

!Pharozonk!
Snake On A Plane

Postby !Pharozonk! » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:55 pm

Wow, I actually have that Tales of the LoSH #320 on top of my longbox right now! :smt005
Long Live the Legion!

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:37 am

!Pharozonk! wrote:Wow, I actually have that Tales of the LoSH #320 on top of my longbox right now! :smt005

It really wasn't too bad of a story. And wasn't "Triangle?" (where Gim, Yera, and GiGi punked Sun Boy) the backup that issue?

- Sons of the Desert

Kurosawa
crash test dummy

Liked in: 165 posts

Postby Kurosawa » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:33 am

Once again, seeing the GOTG movie and the beauty of Xandar makes me wish for a LoSH movie...but knowing the DC/WB people, it would be not even a dystopia, but more of a nightmare.
Doomed planet. Desperate scientists. Last hope. Kindly couple.

Juan Cena likes this post.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:05 am

Kurosawa wrote:Once again, seeing the GOTG movie and the beauty of Xandar makes me wish for a LoSH movie...but knowing the DC/WB people, it would be not even a dystopia, but more of a nightmare.

Ironically, Giffen's dull, dark, depressing, and generic version of the MU in Annihilation really dampened my interest in checking out any of the Marvel Cosmic stuff any further.

- Sons of the Desert

!Pharozonk!
Snake On A Plane

Postby !Pharozonk! » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:55 am

Juan Cena wrote:Ironically, Giffen's dull, dark, depressing, and generic version of the MU in Annihilation really dampened my interest in checking out any of the Marvel Cosmic stuff any further.

I'm not against an adaptation of the 5YG Legion. However, hacks like Snyder or Goyer don't have the passion for the Legion or the understanding of the complexities of that story to achieve something like that on film.
Long Live the Legion!

Kurosawa
crash test dummy

Liked in: 165 posts

Postby Kurosawa » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:50 am

I have no interest in a darker take on the Legion at all. The only dark superhero comics I like at all is street level crime books like Miller's Daredevil.
Doomed planet. Desperate scientists. Last hope. Kindly couple.

Juan Cena likes this post.

!Pharozonk!
Snake On A Plane

Postby !Pharozonk! » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:12 pm

Kurosawa wrote:I have no interest in a darker take on the Legion at all. The only dark superhero comics I like at all is street level crime books like Miller's Daredevil.

I wouldn't mind seeing an adaptaion of Levitz's The Great Darkness Saga.
Long Live the Legion!

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand