Tuesday, May 24, 2016 • Afternoon Edition • "Where your childhood dreams don't have to die alone."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

The Legion of Super-Heroes Fan Thread

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Pharozonk

cheese

Postby Pharozonk » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:51 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
Take the "mina" out of "abomination", replace it with "ort," and you have what the classic "reboot" was.

What didn't you like about it?

Also, did you like the Threboot Legion?

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:55 pm

!Pharozonk! wrote:Did you guys like the retroboot Legion? I thought Legion of Three Worlds was pretty awesome.

You mean "Legion of three Worlds, Starring Superboy Prime, Conner Kent, Bart Allen, and Superman, with a special guest appearance by the neo-classic Legion, and cameos by the Archie Legion, and the Threeboot?"

It was barely a Legion story.

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:11 pm

!Pharozonk! wrote:
What didn't you like about it?

Also, did you like the Threboot Legion?

It never seemed to really get off the ground, for one thing. And as soon as things started looking optimistic during the LSV storyline, Flashpoint happened and f**ked everything up.

There were just too many issues that Levitz ignored, such as continuity problems created by Johns (among others), and a team that had really been aged a little too much into their mid-20's to early 30's.

As for the Threeboot, I liked it for what it was. It set the Legion in a more constructed 31st century, as opposed to the "generic SF" future that it had always been set in.

I liked the characters did (shock!) act like the teenagers they were supposed to be instead of acting like adults in teenaged bodies (which happened a lot in the 60's and 70's). I liked that there were cliques and relationships that were more like real teens in high school.

I liked Waid's take on Timber Wolf as more of a loner with a bit of a James Dean or Dylan Walsh kind of aura instead of being semi-feral. Not to mention his warrior-barbarian princess version of Shadow Lass.

And the tension between the not-quite boy scout Cosmic Boy and the Kerr Avon-like Brainy was brilliant. Especially the incident with the goats, because it showed Cos could outwit Brainy.

Chessack

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby Chessack » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:36 pm

Juan Cena wrote:I liked Waid's take on Timber Wolf as more of a loner with a bit of a James Dean or Dylan Walsh kind of aura instead of being semi-feral. Not to mention his warrior-barbarian princess version of Shadow Lass.

I thought Waid's take on the LSH was the best since the COIE, pretty much... Once Giffen took over the story and made them "older" and "not using code names" (which then turned into a frakking clone story ultimately)... it was never the same. Waid's felt more like the old stuff than anything else I've read since... what was that, 1987 or so?

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:46 pm

Chessack wrote:
I thought Waid's take on the LSH was the best since the COIE, pretty much... Once Giffen took over the story and made them "older" and "not using code names" (which then turned into a frakking clone story ultimately)... it was never the same. Waid's felt more like the old stuff than anything else I've read since... what was that, 1987 or so?

I know FYG has its supporters, and had its good parts (like Laurel Gand). But in the end, Legion doesn't really work in a darker, dystopian future. A furure with dark places, yes. But not a future without hope with its best days behind it.

Pharozonk

cheese

Postby Pharozonk » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:57 pm

Juan Cena wrote: I know FYG has its supporters, and had its good parts (like Laurel Gand). But in the end, Legion doesn't really work in a darker, dystopian future. A furure with dark places, yes. But not a future without hope with its best days behind it.

I liked the 5YL Legion for about the first 12 issues. After that it became pretty shitty, though issue #62 is one of my all time favorite comics.

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:38 pm

The LoSH only really was great during the 1980s. The 1990s with the 5YG was apocryphal while entertaining was the next best. The Archie/Reboot LoSH had it's moments but nose dived by the end. The Threeboot had nice artwork from Kitson and nothing else going for it. The LS/Fourboot/52 was another apocryphal era with characters that were off and choked with political correctness and little by way of answers. 70s and earlier were fun and often silly, but fun.

What got me, and to this day, is that there was going to be a LoSH - In The Beginning series that would have retconned a ton of the classic stuff to more relevant with the modern stuff. Always wished that they had done that. Given the designs were used for the SW6 batch LoSH and the The Archie/Reboot LoSH... I had hopes.

holtom2000

dINGO

Postby holtom2000 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:26 pm

not having time to read all this ... has this been mentioned?
look I the background... saw this today!
http://brandedinthe80s.com/11934/awesome-princess-bride-bedroom

Pharozonk

cheese

Postby Pharozonk » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:55 pm

Wow, I actually have that Tales of the LoSH #320 on top of my longbox right now! :smt005

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:37 am

!Pharozonk! wrote:Wow, I actually have that Tales of the LoSH #320 on top of my longbox right now! :smt005

It really wasn't too bad of a story. And wasn't "Triangle?" (where Gim, Yera, and GiGi punked Sun Boy) the backup that issue?

Kurosawa

cheese

Postby Kurosawa » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:33 am

Once again, seeing the GOTG movie and the beauty of Xandar makes me wish for a LoSH movie...but knowing the DC/WB people, it would be not even a dystopia, but more of a nightmare.

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:05 am

Kurosawa wrote:Once again, seeing the GOTG movie and the beauty of Xandar makes me wish for a LoSH movie...but knowing the DC/WB people, it would be not even a dystopia, but more of a nightmare.

Ironically, Giffen's dull, dark, depressing, and generic version of the MU in Annihilation really dampened my interest in checking out any of the Marvel Cosmic stuff any further.

Pharozonk

cheese

Postby Pharozonk » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:55 am

Juan Cena wrote:Ironically, Giffen's dull, dark, depressing, and generic version of the MU in Annihilation really dampened my interest in checking out any of the Marvel Cosmic stuff any further.

I'm not against an adaptation of the 5YG Legion. However, hacks like Snyder or Goyer don't have the passion for the Legion or the understanding of the complexities of that story to achieve something like that on film.

Kurosawa

cheese

Postby Kurosawa » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:50 am

I have no interest in a darker take on the Legion at all. The only dark superhero comics I like at all is street level crime books like Miller's Daredevil.

Pharozonk

cheese

Postby Pharozonk » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:12 pm

Kurosawa wrote:I have no interest in a darker take on the Legion at all. The only dark superhero comics I like at all is street level crime books like Miller's Daredevil.

I wouldn't mind seeing an adaptaion of Levitz's The Great Darkness Saga.

leave a comment with facebook