Wednesday, June 29, 2016 • Afternoon Edition • "Magneto was right."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

The Legion of Super-Heroes Fan Thread

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:01 pm

!Pharozonk! wrote:
I wouldn't mind seeing an adaptaion of Levitz's The Great Darkness Saga.


If they really throw money at and use Giffen's style used in it... HELL YES! :-D Do it scene for scene.
User avatar

Pharozonk

cheese

Postby Pharozonk » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:07 pm

The Old Doctor wrote:
If they really throw money at and use Giffen's style used in it... HELL YES! :-D Do it scene for scene.


What if it's done in GIffen's 5YG style? :wink:

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:19 pm

!Pharozonk! wrote:
What if it's done in GIffen's 5YG style? :wink:


:smt078

Liked it in the comic, but no... never... not ever... for animation. Same with his late 80s/pre 5YG LoSH style. The bastard has multiple styles... ever since getting in trouble for swiping the one from another artist.
User avatar

Pharozonk

cheese

Postby Pharozonk » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:25 pm

The Old Doctor wrote:
:smt078

Liked it in the comic, but no... never... not ever... for animation. Same with his late 80s/pre 5YG LoSH style. The bastard has multiple styles... ever since getting in trouble for swiping the one from another artist.


I'm in agreement with you there. Giffen was it has best before the Baxter series era Legion.

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:32 pm

!Pharozonk! wrote:
I'm in agreement with you there. Giffen was it has best before the Baxter series era Legion.


His later style was good too, but that initial one was hard to enjoy. His early 90s style was okay too. Crunchy but okay.

Mahlstedt was a lot of the reason LoSH looked so good in the 80s. Throw in Shoemaker inking over folks in Tales and viola!
User avatar

Pharozonk

cheese

Postby Pharozonk » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:46 pm

The Old Doctor wrote:
His later style was good too, but that initial one was hard to enjoy. His early 90s style was okay too. Crunchy but okay.

Mahlstedt was a lot of the reason LoSH looked so good in the 80s. Throw in Shoemaker inking over folks in Tales and viola!


Greg LaRocque is my definitive Legion artist. I loved his work on the Baxter series.
User avatar

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:00 pm

The Old Doctor wrote:
:smt078

Liked it in the comic, but no... never... not ever... for animation. Same with his late 80s/pre 5YG LoSH style. The bastard has multiple styles... ever since getting in trouble for swiping the one from another artist.


The last style he used on his last Legion stint swiped from Mark Buckingham so fraking much it wasn't funny.
User avatar

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:02 pm

!Pharozonk! wrote:
Greg LaRocque is my definitive Legion artist. I loved his work on the Baxter series.


Some of his takes on the Legionaires were interesting, like Brainy's longer hair. But I liked Lightle better.

Then again John Forte may be my fave Legion artist. So what the frak do I know?
User avatar

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:07 pm

Kurosawa wrote:I have no interest in a darker take on the Legion at all. The only dark superhero comics I like at all is street level crime books like Miller's Daredevil.


What Giffen, (and to a point, D&A) never understood that Legion is more of an epic Star Wars/Star Trek kind of concept, and not a dystopic Blade Runner/Terminator concept.
User avatar

Kurosawa

cheese

Postby Kurosawa » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:22 pm

!Pharozonk! wrote:
I wouldn't mind seeing an adaptaion of Levitz's The Great Darkness Saga.


That's a different kind of darkness, though. I don't mind villains being evil and dark, but the heroes should be heroes.
User avatar

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:03 am

!Pharozonk! wrote:
Greg LaRocque is my definitive Legion artist. I loved his work on the Baxter series.

Greg was exceptional - despite the awful inking by DeCarlo on his later issues.
User avatar

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:13 pm

!Pharozonk! wrote:
JLA Adventures:Trapped in Time features Karate Kid and Dawnstar and the Time Trapper is a villain in it

The only downside is that the crappy Nu52 costumes are used...


Watching it now. That's not the only downside... :(
User avatar

Chessack

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby Chessack » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:56 pm

Kurosawa wrote:That's a different kind of darkness, though. I don't mind villains being evil and dark, but the heroes should be heroes.


^^^^ This. So very much this.

The Great Darkness Saga is, in my view, the definitive characterization of Darkseid. He was so over the top and evil and had such great presence, that it made him one of my all-time favorite villains. Some of his quotes are just to die for. "As you wish, Master, so it shall be." "Of course. There is no other possibility." Or, "Let my mind range free and sense what pitiful threat it is that you have to offer."

This is what I used to like about comics. The good guys were good, and the bad guys were bad. There wasn't any real "grey area." Was that realistic? No. But it was damn fun to read.
User avatar

Kurosawa

cheese

Postby Kurosawa » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:42 pm

Chessack wrote:
^^^^ This. So very much this.

The Great Darkness Saga is, in my view, the definitive characterization of Darkseid. He was so over the top and evil and had such great presence, that it made him one of my all-time favorite villains. Some of his quotes are just to die for. "As you wish, Master, so it shall be." "Of course. There is no other possibility." Or, "Let my mind range free and sense what pitiful threat it is that you have to offer."

This is what I used to like about comics. The good guys were good, and the bad guys were bad. There wasn't any real "grey area." Was that realistic? No. But it was damn fun to read.


I like villains to be evil, but I find villains who are nothing but kill kill kill boring. Darkseid is usually handled in such a way that he is above such petty bloodletting. What Darkseid loves is the spreading of misery, and that and the Anti-Life Equation is worse than death in many ways.

Incredible character, and a great series. I'm rereading it now, as a matter of fact.
User avatar

Chessack

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby Chessack » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:10 pm

I used Darkseid in my Champions campaign to great effect. We had been running games with a couple of different GMs, and in the summer we decided to cross the universes over. My universe had Egyptian gods, but the other main universe didn't really have any, so I used Darkseid as the mega-villain from the other universe. He then teamed up with Set from my universe to try and complete the anti-life equation. Their goal was to destroy Osiris, god of the dead, making them co-rulers of all dead things. Then by activating the A-L Equation, they would kill everyone in both universes, thus making them the rulers of all things. (Of course, had they succeeded, I am sure the first thing Set and Darkseid would have done was turn on each other to try and be the sole ruler of all.)

Of course it didn't work... the superheroes teamed up with Horus (from my universe) and Orion (from the other universe) to take down both bad guys and save Osiris. But it was extremely fun, and I enjoyed using Darkseid's quotes from the Darkness Saga in the game. Heheh.

Darkseid later showed up as an ally of the heroes when the Crimson Claw tried to gate his demon masters in from another universe at the end of the Great Super-Villain Contest, which is probably the best adventure ever written from Champions.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Schlemmer and 142 guests