Advertisement

The Outhouse Comic Awards 2007

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Starlord
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 35133
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 1 post
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:03 pm
Location: Michigan


Postby Starlord » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:14 am

I think his Batman was kind of like Brubaker's Uncanny X-Men. It showed that no writer is perfect one hundred percent of the time. :wink:
Image

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Advertisement

nietoperz
User avatar
The Goddamn Bat-min
 
Posts: 42601
Likes: 129 posts
Liked in: 141 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:36 pm
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Title: Forum Manager


Postby nietoperz » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:51 am

I think his Batman still has promise - the Club of Heroes storyline was great, for example. Dini's run on Detective Comics is blowing him out of the water, however...
Image

Lord Simian
User avatar
The Lord of the Monkeys
 
Posts: 34794
Likes: 110 posts
Liked in: 195 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:57 am
Location: Poosting from The Outhouse


Postby Lord Simian » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:00 am

nietoperz wrote:I think his Batman still has promise - the Club of Heroes storyline was great, for example. Dini's run on Detective Comics is blowing him out of the water, however...


Club of Heroes? Is that like a "Batmen of many nations" thing?
Image
Image

Kong created the Outhouse to train the Faithful. One cannot go against the Word of Kong.---
The Teachings of Pawl Monk'Dib

Monkey, I like your style!
--Lex Luthor

Zenguru wrote:I trust Lord Simian's word more than my friend.

nietoperz
User avatar
The Goddamn Bat-min
 
Posts: 42601
Likes: 129 posts
Liked in: 141 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:36 pm
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Title: Forum Manager


Postby nietoperz » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:02 am

Lord Simian wrote:Club of Heroes? Is that like a "Batmen of many nations" thing?


Exactly that, yeah. There was a 3-issue storyline which was a murder mystery set at a reunion of the club of heroes - it was just great, I thought...
Image

Lord Simian
User avatar
The Lord of the Monkeys
 
Posts: 34794
Likes: 110 posts
Liked in: 195 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:57 am
Location: Poosting from The Outhouse


Postby Lord Simian » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:04 am

nietoperz wrote:Exactly that, yeah. There was a 3-issue storyline which was a murder mystery set at a reunion of the club of heroes - it was just great, I thought...


It'd have to be brilliantly written just to avoid being stupid, then. ;)


I'm sorry, I ALWAYS hated the "Batmen of all nations" concept. :?
Image
Image

Kong created the Outhouse to train the Faithful. One cannot go against the Word of Kong.---
The Teachings of Pawl Monk'Dib

Monkey, I like your style!
--Lex Luthor

Zenguru wrote:I trust Lord Simian's word more than my friend.

nietoperz
User avatar
The Goddamn Bat-min
 
Posts: 42601
Likes: 129 posts
Liked in: 141 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:36 pm
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Title: Forum Manager


Postby nietoperz » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:06 am

Lord Simian wrote:It'd have to be brilliantly written just to avoid being stupid, then. ;)


I'm sorry, I ALWAYS hated the "Batmen of all nations" concept. :?


Me too, but it was very well done. Morrison does well with updating the goofier concepts, I think, and this was no exception. It was pretty dark while still adhering to the basic silliness of most of the characters.
Image

DeadFett
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 14512
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:17 am
Location: A galaxy far, far away...
Title: Medicated and X-Rated
Formerly: FormerMember


Postby DeadFett » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:11 am

starlord wrote:I think his Batman was kind of like Brubaker's Uncanny X-Men. It showed that no writer is perfect one hundred percent of the time. :wink:


Agreed. I love Bru but his Uncanny certainly didn't live up to what I expect. Especially after Cap and Criminal.
Image

Zenguru
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 12684
Likes: 5 posts
Liked in: 8 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: West-by-God-Virginia!


Postby Zenguru » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:56 pm

DeadFett wrote:Agreed. I love Bru but his Uncanny certainly didn't live up to what I expect. Especially after Cap and Criminal.
I liked Bru's Rise and Fall of the Shiar, but didn't stick around after that. The looming spectre of another X-crossover chased me away.

DeadFett
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 14512
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:17 am
Location: A galaxy far, far away...
Title: Medicated and X-Rated
Formerly: FormerMember


Postby DeadFett » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:31 pm

Zenguru wrote:I liked Bru's Rise and Fall of the Shiar, but didn't stick around after that. The looming spectre of another X-crossover chased me away.


Rise and Fall was good. The arc after it. Eh, not so much. Messiah Complex has been really good so far. Maybe give it a shot when the trades come out.
Image

MoneyMelon
User avatar
Chief Yankee Wanker
 
Posts: 26406
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 1 post
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:02 pm
Title: Internet Celebrity


Postby MoneyMelon » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:43 pm

nietoperz wrote:Exactly that, yeah. There was a 3-issue storyline which was a murder mystery set at a reunion of the club of heroes - it was just great, I thought...

That's the one story that Morrison has done so far that I really liked.

Morrison does a great job by taking the wacky silder-age stuff and making it kind of creepy and interesting.

All-Star Superman is a lot like that.
Image

Man of Steel wrote:get over myself? You're the one who fancies himself some sort of internet celebrity.

john lewis hawk
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 29331
Likes: 11 posts
Liked in: 77 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Southern California
Title: not here


Postby john lewis hawk » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:13 pm

nietoperz wrote:Me too, but it was very well done. Morrison does well with updating the goofier concepts, I think, and this was no exception. It was pretty dark while still adhering to the basic silliness of most of the characters.
Plus it had JH Williams III on art. Can't get much better than that.

nietoperz
User avatar
The Goddamn Bat-min
 
Posts: 42601
Likes: 129 posts
Liked in: 141 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:36 pm
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Title: Forum Manager


Postby nietoperz » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:15 pm

john lewis wrote:Plus it had JH Williams III on art. Can't get much better than that.


Agreed. The art in that storyline was just amazing!
Image

Severed Djed
User avatar
Bastard #1
 
Posts: 2043
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:49 pm


Postby Severed Djed » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:23 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:That's the one story that Morrison has done so far that I really liked.


I've liked it all so far but that was definitely the best one to date.

Zenguru
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 12684
Likes: 5 posts
Liked in: 8 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: West-by-God-Virginia!


Postby Zenguru » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:40 pm

DeadFett wrote:Rise and Fall was good. The arc after it. Eh, not so much. Messiah Complex has been really good so far. Maybe give it a shot when the trades come out.
I'm enjoying Messiah Complex for the art. I've only bought the one-shot and the Uncanny issues. Silvestri and Tan are worth seeing no matter what the story.

Daniel
User avatar
Great Scott!!!
 
Posts: 4497
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:14 pm
Location: Los Angeles


Postby Daniel » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:55 pm

I thought the Club of Heroes arc was confusing. :o
Image
starlord wrote::shock: That's the first time paper has ever given me an erection!

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexa [Bot], Google [Bot] and 206 guests

Advertisement