Advertisement

The Power Girl Thread

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 94 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:35 pm

McTroy wrote:[spoiler]http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs43/f/2009/079/f/a/Wonder_Woman__Power_Girl_Beach_by_powerbook125.jpg[/spoiler]

I little to dirty but I luv it!

[]

Not dirty at all. I like it.

Advertisement

achilles
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 142 posts
Title: Much Eviler Than GOSD!

Postby achilles » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:34 pm

I thought Power Girl #15 was an excellent issue of the series. Winick is doing far more with Kara and her supporting cast in his what 3 issues so far than Palmiotti and Gray did in their 12. Which isn't to say P and G were bad, just that they favored a rather static form of storytelling that didn't really effect the characters, grow them, or change them---at all.

OTOH, Winick gives us the first one of PG's supporting cast I can distinguish from the others apart from Terra of course. And he shows us just how tough and resilient Kara is, and how she can direct a battle, thinking through things rather than just hitting. I get Herald, he's just reflexively anti-DC most days, and really, really hates Winick. But the one or two others who share his view on this issue I don't get.

Sure, there are a couple of minor quibbles, like the Kryptonite thing, which may or may not be Winick forgetting she's immune, (though someone pointed out it might also be Max making her think it was hurting her), or the lack of her putting Crash in the middle of the Atlantic, (which upon actually reading it seemed like it was something that would be a lot easier said than done with a Doomsday level guy---recall that Superman tried to get Doomsday into space and couldn't). But on the whole, this issue advanced Kara's story, presented her as not only a mega powerful hero, but one who had guts and brains to go with it, as well as a certain toughness and willingness to do a few not terribly nice things to win.

How the latter plays out with Nikko remains to be seen, though we seem sure to get him as a continuing character and sidekick to PG from comments elsewhere. Though he is one of many hacker type sidekicks in the DCU these days, he works in context of who PG is and what she's doing, and seems an interesting character in his own right.

And while taking the focus away from Terra takes away all of that relationship stuff that was nice and fun, it also allows more focus on Power Girl herself, and on developing her as a hero.

Perhaps not the best issue of the series, but certainly one of them on the whole. It did what it needed to do and moved the title character and the series along, setting up some good stuff for later issues.
Achilles is the kind of evil that hollows out a volcano for a lair, and sends killer robots after his enemies.---Lord Simian

Flynn the Pirate
OMCTO

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:53 pm

achilles wrote:I thought Power Girl #15 was an excellent issue of the series. Winick is doing far more with Kara and her supporting cast in his what 3 issues so far than Palmiotti and Gray did in their 12. Which isn't to say P and G were bad, just that they favored a rather static form of storytelling that didn't really effect the characters, grow them, or change them---at all.

OTOH, Winick gives us the first one of PG's supporting cast I can distinguish from the others apart from Terra of course. And he shows us just how tough and resilient Kara is, and how she can direct a battle, thinking through things rather than just hitting. I get Herald, he's just reflexively anti-DC most days, and really, really hates Winick. But the one or two others who share his view on this issue I don't get.

Sure, there are a couple of minor quibbles, like the Kryptonite thing, which may or may not be Winick forgetting she's immune, (though someone pointed out it might also be Max making her think it was hurting her), or the lack of her putting Crash in the middle of the Atlantic, (which upon actually reading it seemed like it was something that would be a lot easier said than done with a Doomsday level guy---recall that Superman tried to get Doomsday into space and couldn't). But on the whole, this issue advanced Kara's story, presented her as not only a mega powerful hero, but one who had guts and brains to go with it, as well as a certain toughness and willingness to do a few not terribly nice things to win.

How the latter plays out with Nikko remains to be seen, though we seem sure to get him as a continuing character and sidekick to PG from comments elsewhere. Though he is one of many hacker type sidekicks in the DCU these days, he works in context of who PG is and what she's doing, and seems an interesting character in his own right.

And while taking the focus away from Terra takes away all of that relationship stuff that was nice and fun, it also allows more focus on Power Girl herself, and on developing her as a hero.

Perhaps not the best issue of the series, but certainly one of them on the whole. It did what it needed to do and moved the title character and the series along, setting up some good stuff for later issues.

I agree with you on a lot of this. I thought the endings, both of the fight and the last page itself, were stellar. I'm really excited that this book is being worked back into the larger DC universe, as opposed to just sitting off in its own corner. Not that there's anything wrong with putting in its own sandbox, but having Power Girl interact with Brightest Day opens whole new possibilities for this book.

I'm also thrilled that she's actually getting her own honest-to-goodness cast of characters to work with. Has that ever really been something this character has ever had, outside of Terra?

Arion
Twenty-Something

Re: The Power Girl Thread

Postby Arion » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:27 pm

I haven't read a PG story in ages .

Flynn the Pirate
OMCTO

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:12 pm

Arion wrote:I haven't read a PG story in ages .

You're definitely missing out. I'd go out and pick up the last two issues, along with this ones, since they just started a new story arc with a new creative team.

It really is one of the two best DC books.

achilles
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 142 posts
Title: Much Eviler Than GOSD!

Re:

Postby achilles » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:31 pm

Duck Punch wrote:
I agree with you on a lot of this. I thought the endings, both of the fight and the last page itself, were stellar. I'm really excited that this book is being worked back into the larger DC universe, as opposed to just sitting off in its own corner. Not that there's anything wrong with putting in its own sandbox, but having Power Girl interact with Brightest Day opens whole new possibilities for this book.

I'm also thrilled that she's actually getting her own honest-to-goodness cast of characters to work with. Has that ever really been something this character has ever had, outside of Terra?

She had a 'Lois Lane' character of her own back on Earth-Two whose name I can't recall off hand, but mostly her interactions were with other heroes.
Achilles is the kind of evil that hollows out a volcano for a lair, and sends killer robots after his enemies.---Lord Simian

Herald
biny little tird

Liked in: 275 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:48 pm

Arion wrote:I haven't read a PG story in ages .

You're not missing anything in Winick's run. Just the usual Winick misery.

Flynn the Pirate
OMCTO

Re: Re:

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:53 pm

achilles wrote:
She had a 'Lois Lane' character of her own back on Earth-Two whose name I can't recall off hand, but mostly her interactions were with other heroes.

Yet another point for this book.

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 34 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:48 pm

Herald wrote:
You're not missing anything in Winick's run. Just the usual Winick misery.

Winick is doing a good job on PG, sure it is not the same goofy fun level that Gray and Palimioti but I think what has been done so far has been a nice addition to the character.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:42 pm

OK, so there are different opinions about Winick in this thread. Why that doesn't surprise me?

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 293 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:39 pm

Herald wrote:You're not missing anything in Winick's run. Just the usual Winick misery.

ITT: Herald admits he gets miserable when it's not all tit jokes. and PG getting her outfit torn off every issue like Palmiotti and Gray did :P
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Herald
biny little tird

Liked in: 275 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:47 pm

bkthomson wrote:
Winick is doing a good job on PG, sure it is not the same goofy fun level that Gray and Palimioti but I think what has been done so far has been a nice addition to the character.

I don't consider "Now with the trademark Winick misery!" to be a nice addition to the character...

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:20 am

I haven't read Gray and Palmiotti run, and I haven't read Winick's run. So I feel like I'm completely neutral about them.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 59 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:17 pm

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Flynn the Pirate
OMCTO

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:35 pm

GLX wrote:Image

Those are my two favorites. Who did them or do you know?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand