Advertisement

The Punisher #1 Review

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 168 posts

The Punisher #1 Review

Postby LOLtron » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:03 am

TheGeek reviews a brand-spanking new The Punisher #1! Frank is back!

Comic Review Cover

Credits & Solicit Info:

The Punisher #1

Written by Greg Rucka

Art by Marco Checchetto

Colors by Matt Hollingsworth

Letters by VC's Joe Caramagna

Price: $3.99

Review:

The Punisher's been an angel, a Frankenstein, and has even gone toe-to-toe with Marvel's more colorful characters, but this time Marvel brings him back to the mean streets and dark alleys where the scum of society fester with The Punisher #1. It's all part of Marvel's Big Shots initiative, giving new #1s to fan-favorite characters using superstar creative teams. It's a pretty exciting move, made even more exciting by virtue of The Punisher's new writer, superstar Greg Rucka.

Best news we've had all year.

With The Punisher #1, Greg Rucka shows us he not only gets Frank Castle, aka The Punisher, but he's willing to craft a new legend for Marvel's violent anti-hero. As this is a new #1, you might think they would use this time to bring us up to speed on who the Punisher is and what he can do, as a good first issue should. But the most you'll get is a brief description in the opening page that explains who he is and how he came to be. And you know what? That's all you need to enjoy this book. The Punisher punishes bad guys in the worst way possible, and with that in mind, you're free to enjoy what Rucka's got in store for you here.

It starts off introducing the world the Punisher is about to rock. A world of really bad people doing gruesome crimes...and lurking in the shadows, of course, is Frank Castle waiting to strike. It's a very interesting way of introducing everyone, including new readers, to this character. It's the detectives investigating the crime and the faces of the victims that are on display here. The Punisher's presence amounts to seething silhouettes, adding a layer of mystery and tension to the book.

Rucka's use of him here is interesting, as if he's setting the Punisher up to become this force of nature, this mysterious dealer of death you only hear in whispers (if you're a bad, bad man), who you only see at the last second when he's about to put a bullet through your head. And it works. The moment the Punisher does appear, you feel what the bad guys are feeling right there and then: Oh crap. He's here. I'm dead.

Marco Checchetto on art is perfect. He brings clarity to Rucka's story where word balloons aren't enough. You could skim through this book without the words and understand what's going on. That kind of sequential storytelling skill is rare, but Checchetto pulls it off and then some. There are a few times when gritty becomes too gritty, or panel choices lead to confusion, but it's not enough to detract from the story. Matt Hollingworth's colors are just the icing on this bloody cake, giving the book a lot of atmosphere and a cinematic feel.

All in all, The Punisher #1 does what a good first issue does and then some. It's a fresh and exciting start for Frank Castle with gorgeously bloody art to boot. If you haven't read about the Punisher before and don't know where to start, you absolutely can't go wrong with this one.

Review by: TheGeek

http://173.199.169.70/index.php/reviews/comics-reviews/15031-the-punisher-1-review.html/
Last edited by LOLtron on Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: JFusion Discussion Bot UPDATE

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Re: The Punisher #1 Review

Postby Punchy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:08 am

Yes, that's right, a review before it comes out for a Marvel book.

We're moving up in the world!

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 165 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:37 am

I was going to pick this up anyway, but this take has piqued my curiosity even more. Curious how it'll read for me.

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Be the leaf

Postby mrorangesoda » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:47 am

Question: If someone only likes the Punisher enough to buy one book a month, is there any reason to read this instead of Aaron's book?
Frank as a force of nature with more of a focus on the villains seems like a summary of Ennis's run.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:48 am

mrorangesoda wrote:Question: If someone only likes the Punisher enough to buy one book a month, is there any reason to read this instead of Aaron's book?
Frank as a force of nature with more of a focus on the villains seems like a summary of Ennis's run.

Well, this series is set in the Marvel Universe, so some superheroes will show up down the line.

TheGeek
Snake On A Plane

Title: Awesome!

Postby TheGeek » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:59 am

I've never read Aaron's take on this, nor Ennis', so this is all new to me. I trust Rucka enough to make this take unique. I guess being firmly set in the Marvel universe proper is one way of making it so.
Behold The Geek!
A look at all things comic and awesome!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:22 am

TheGeek wrote:I've never read Aaron's take on this, nor Ennis', so this is all new to me. I trust Rucka enough to make this take unique. I guess being firmly set in the Marvel universe proper is one way of making it so.

Dude, you owe it to yourself to read the Ennis and Aaron runs, they own.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:36 pm

Now that I've read it myself, I see why the reviewer says it got really confusing at times. There are still a couple scenes that I just don't get in the first story. Checchetto's art is perfect though...haven't seen this fittingly good art on a Punisher book since Dougie Braithwaithe on a few early Ennis Punisher stories.

Still a solid start that sold me on this though. Hopefully just wtf happened at the wedding will be fleshed out and there'll be a reason as to why Frank let that Irish guy live.

Potter Who
penile prisoner

Postby Potter Who » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:40 pm

Didn't want to be spoiled by the review, but would you say that it's quality is competitive with Aaron's MAX series?

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:04 pm

I find it hard to compare the two, they're just totally different books. It's like comparing Ennis's MAX run with Aaron's.

I'd say it carries the spirit of Ennis's MAX run minus what made it a MAX title (nudity and swearing).

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:09 am

That was a different take on the Punisher, but one that works. While Ennis and Aaron’s runs have focussed on Frank Castle as a character, Rucka seems not too fussed with that, and the Punisher here is a terrifying force of nature. The scene at the bar at the end of the issue was just brilliant, and I really liked how the back-up story showed how Detective Bolt got embroiled with Frank, and the technique of having the story contradict the words was brilliant. The art from Checchetto was excellent too. If I have one problem it would be that Rucka didn’t really get across why exactly the wedding of the War Vet at the start was shot at, something to do with the Owl? I don’t know, it was not clear at all.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand