Advertisement

The Reservoir: A Moth City Prequel (Now With More Press Kit)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 234 posts

Postby LOLtron » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:09 pm

Try something new this week. The Outhouse wouldn't steer you wrong.

Back in December, I wrote a review of Moth City, a horror crime comic set in Civil War era China. I don't usually write reviews because they offer comparatively far fewer opportunities to make up fake quotes from comics industry executives about having sex with donkeys than the news stories I usually write. I make an exception occasionally, as I did for Moth City because it's an unusual comic book that offers something different from 99% of the stuff you'll find on the shelves on your local comic shop, and I highly recommend you check it out. But today, I want to talk to you about Reservoir, a one-shot prequel to Moth City that is out now on comiXology. that takes the story out of Asia and into to the American frontier, telling the backstory of Moth City villain Governor McCaw. More specifically, I want to talk to you about the press kit Moth City and Reservoir creator Tim Gibson put together for the book.

You see, we get a lot of requests to cover comics here at The Outhouse, but rarely do they come with such a helpful guide to writing about it. For instance, because of this press kit, I can tell you that Reservoir is a one-shot origin tale told with the twists you expect from the Moth City series. I can tell you this because Tim Gibson's press kit, his first one ever I might add, provides this information in an extremely efficient quote. You may think I'm being sarcastic, but do you know how tiring it can be to come up with succinct, one-sentence descriptions for comic books multiple times per day, every day? Tim Gibson makes it easy, and I appreciate that.

Speaking of Tim Gibson, did you know that Tim spent three years illustrating worlds, characters, and monsters for Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson, with film credits including Tintin, District 9, and Avatar to his name? Well, he did, and that's another fact provided by the press kit. I actually did know this, because I did a lot of Googling while writing my Moth City review, since Tim Gibson did not provide a press kit at that time. That's okay though, because Tim Gibson, who, by the way, lives with his fiance in Wellington, New Zealand and enjoys reading Elmore Leonard, Stephen King, and Agatha Christie, corrected that error and created a very thorough and useful press kit this time around.

However, there are elements of the press kit that are lacking. For instance, though it contains praise for Moth City from respected comics media outlets like Robot 6 ("Moth City is a murder mystery wrapped in noir... packed with shrewd tycoons, communists and a love story, laid beneath a veneer of soot... a great story... rollicking world."), Newsarama ("Highly recommended."), and Multiversity ("Moth City is arguably the most important digital comic being published right now."), as well as industry professionals like Mark Waid ("This story is fucking great. Moth City is an arresting, compelling work.") and Alex De Campi ("A brilliantly executed thrilling adventure comic... one of the most visually innovative I've seen in a long time... So damn exciting."), Tim Gibson's press kit does not contain a quote from The Outhouse.

What gives, Tim Gibson? Is praise from TheOuthousers.com (that's the name to use when you quote us, in case you're wondering) not as good as praise from Newsarama? Just because they get millions more hits than us and employ professional journalists like Vaneta Rogers? Does the word of Mark Waid mean more than mine? Just because he's an accomplished, award-winning creator with decades of experience, a legendary career, and his own digital comics company, and a comic shop? I write (sometimes) funny articles on the internet, for fuck's sake!

To be honest, I was so hurt after finding that no quotes from my review made it into Tim Gibson's press kit that I almost didn't read Reservoir. And though I read it anyway, I didn't want to write an article telling readers that it's the perfect way to dip your toes into the waters of the Moth City universe because it reveals the fucked up backstory of Governor McCaw in a standalone story with stunning black and white artwork that's satisfying, requires no prior knowledge of Moth City to enjoy, and doesn't spoil any of the enjoyment of reading the main series, which you will most certainly want to do after reading Resovoir. But despite my personal feelings, ultimately, Resovoir is too good a comic to keep from you, dear readers.

So head over to comiXology today and check this book out for $2.99. If you like it, you can buy the rest of Moth City on comiXology, or you could read Moth City for free at Thrillbent if you're some kind of fucking cheapskate.

As for you, Tim Gibson, I have just one thing to say:

( choose one: Reservoir | Moth City ) is a ( choose one: a. wild thrill ride of evocative visual storytelling | b. breathtaking tour de force from a rising star | c. harrowing look at the inner workings of a cold blooded killer ) that ( choose one: a. is sure to leave you dying for more | b. will knock you right out of your shoes, socks, and possibly your pants | c. leaves no doubt in your mind that Tim Gibson takes digital comics to a whole new level ).

Here's a preview:

Written or Contributed by Jude Terror

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Tim Gibson
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 163 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: The Reservoir: A Moth City Prequel (Now With More Press Kit)

Postby Tim Gibson » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:53 pm

Thanks Jude, I appreciate your contribution and submission for Tim Gibson Press Kit 2.0 However, your pull quote is far too long. Perhaps you could edit your piece to simply say 'highly recommended' - then I could simply add you to the existing press kit using the same quote as Newsarama's.

Newsarama would go first, of course.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 767 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Re: The Reservoir: A Moth City Prequel (Now With More Press

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:16 pm

:x
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 339 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Re: The Reservoir: A Moth City Prequel (Now With More Press

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:31 pm

I'm sorry, Jude, but .. :lol:

I almost spit out my Cobb Salad reading this
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand