Advertisement

The Review Group Poll 08-05-09

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Which Book Should we run the rake over?

Poll ended at Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:24 pm

Absolution #1
9%
Doom Patrol #1
48%
Chew #3
9%
Red Circle Presents The Hangman #1
13%
Luke Cage Noir #1
17%
Other (please specify)
4%

Total votes : 23

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 227 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:13 pm

doombug wrote:So funny story: I could give two shits about cosmic marvel a few years ago and then people kept telling me I should read annihilation.

I did, suddenly I found myself loving guys like Nova and Drax and caring about all this crazy cosmic stuff. Guardians of the galaxy is certainly a favorite book of mine. Like I said it really is some of the strongest stuff in the marvel u.

I find it odd as you are in the minority critically and fan wise on this one lee, I've never seen that happen with you. But I'll respectfully disagree with your opinion. Unlike slamburger your a fellow reviewer/journalist who is intelligent and never looking to just bitch about things.

just weird for me to read cosmic marvel hate.

Do you at least love REBELS over at DC?

REBELS is okay, but to be honest I don't dig any cosmic stuff... in fact since the light wars started I have not been too keen on GL.
Last edited by thefourthman on Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

Advertisement

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:13 pm

thefourthman wrote:It's boring, I don't know who any of the characters are, nor do I care, DNA can't write dialogue to save their lives (I mean they made me hate a talking raccoon, that shouldn't even be possible), it is old recycled stories, sometimes not even old recycled stories, and worst of all, all the meaningless pompous first grade philosophy. Ekkk.

I can understand you not liking it because you just don't like it, I mean everyone has their opinion but I could say the same thing you said about the majority of the stuff we review... for example the last JLA book we just reviewed

thefourthman wrote:It's boring, I don't know who any of the characters are, nor do I care, (Robinson) can't write dialogue to save his live (I mean they made me hate a Green Lantern, that shouldn't even be possible), it is old recycled stories, sometimes not even old recycled stories, and worst of all, all the meaningless pompous first grade philosophy. Ekkk.

I heart Marvel Cosmic 8)

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:15 pm

48THRiLLS wrote:quote
blah blah blah
I heart Marvel Cosmic 8)

And that is why I detest reviewing the Marvel Cosmic stuff. It doesn't do it for me and to look at it critically is hard. When you are interested, you aren't interested.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Postby 48THRiLLS » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:17 pm

thefourthman wrote:And that is why I detest reviewing the Marvel Cosmic stuff. It doesn't do it for me and to look at it critically is hard. When you are interested, you aren't interested.

fine :smt011
:D

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:22 pm

48THRiLLS wrote:fine :smt011
:D

I read it and Blue Beetle for over a year because everyone was raving about them. One day I woke up and went why am I reading something I don't like? And I stopped. Just like I dropped JLA back in the middle of the Milestone stuff. When McDuffie was fucking up his own characters it was time to throw in the towel.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Postby 48THRiLLS » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:34 pm

thefourthman wrote:I read it and Blue Beetle for over a year because everyone was raving about them. One day I woke up and went why am I reading something I don't like? And I stopped. Just like I dropped JLA back in the middle of the Milestone stuff. When McDuffie was fucking up his own characters it was time to throw in the towel.

I did the same thing with Proof, I enjoyed the hell out of the first arc and I just started getting disinterested in the second and halfway into the Julia arc I was like this is boring and I dropped it... I sorta feel this was with this weeks pick also...I like the concept (mice with swords!) but the pace in the last arc was slow as balls and it was almost too much to take in at once, I almost dropped it before but feared exile due to the praise it received by everyone... I have not read this weeks yet but if it doesn't knock my socks off I will probably not continue reading.

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Mr_Batman » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:39 pm

thefourthman wrote:I read it and Blue Beetle for over a year because everyone was raving about them. One day I woke up and went why am I reading something I don't like? And I stopped. Just like I dropped JLA back in the middle of the Milestone stuff. When McDuffie was fucking up his own characters it was time to throw in the towel.

Yeah, everyone was talking about how good BB was, so I bought the first few issues or so, and wasn't that impressed.

I do that on certain things, like JLI, awesome stuff, and Y: The Last Man, more good stuff. It tends to work out.

I almost dropped JLA, but was glad I didn't. This week's issue was awesome

Daringd
Review Grouper

Postby Daringd » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:43 pm

Chew #3 of course

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:49 pm

doombug wrote:So funny story: I could give two shits about cosmic marvel a few years ago and then people kept telling me I should read annihilation.

I did, suddenly I found myself loving guys like Nova and Drax and caring about all this crazy cosmic stuff. Guardians of the galaxy is certainly a favorite book of mine. Like I said it really is some of the strongest stuff in the marvel u.

Me too, in fact, about 4 years ago I made a thread on Newsarama about how much Marvel's space titles sucked compared to DC's (who had Green Lantern and Adam Strange running at the time). Now, I read all of Marvel's cosmic books, because of Annihilation, and prefer them to Green Lantern. Giffen and DnA have really revamped that side of the MU, made it more 'realistic', more gritty and real, it's not old Battlestar, it's new Battlestar.

If Giffen can do the same thing with the Doom Patrol (who have been broken since Grant Morrison), we can expect good things. Hell, even his Magog series sounds decent, and I despise Kingdom Come.
Last edited by Punchy on Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:49 pm

48THRiLLS wrote:I did the same thing with Proof, I enjoyed the hell out of the first arc and I just started getting disinterested in the second and halfway into the Julia arc I was like this is boring and I dropped it... I sorta feel this was with this weeks pick also...I like the concept (mice with swords!) but the pace in the last arc was slow as balls and it was almost too much to take in at once, I almost dropped it before but feared exile due to the praise it received by everyone... I have not read this weeks yet but if it doesn't knock my socks off I will probably not continue reading.

See and its cool that you don't go around spouting your hate/dislike for those. I try not to either, but Annihilation/WOK is a high profile, internet popular book so when my distaste is made public it spreads.... Proof and Mice Templar I absolutely love. I hope the current schedule for Mice Templar helps with its readability. I think it was hurt more by its schedule than it was by its pacing.

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:53 pm

DnA peaked with The Legion and have been getting steadily worse.
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:54 pm

King Impulse wrote:DnA peaked with The Legion and have been getting steadily worse.

The Legion sucks!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:57 pm

Punchy wrote:Me too, in fact, about 4 years ago I made a thread on Newsarama about how much Marvel's space titles sucked compared to DC's (who had Green Lantern and Adam Strange running at the time). Now, I read all of Marvel's cosmic books, because of Annihilation, and prefer them to Green Lantern. Giffen and DnA have really revamped that side of the MU, made it more 'realistic', more gritty and real, it's not old Battlestar, it's new Battlestar.

If Giffen can do the same thing with the Doom Patrol (who have been broken since Grant Morrison), we can expect good things. Hell, even his Magog series sounds decent, and I despise Kingdom Come.

Dude, you need to ship me some of that Kool-Aid, because Magog is stupid and his series sounds dumb.

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:58 pm

Punchy wrote:The Legion sucks!

You suck!
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:59 pm

thefourthman wrote:Dude, you need to ship me some of that Kool-Aid, because Magog is stupid and his series sounds dumb.

I know Magog sucks, but Giffen's interviews actually made it sound good.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand