Advertisement

"The I'm So Screwed" Superior Spider-Man #26 Edition

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 196 posts

Re: "The I'm So Screwed" Superior Spider-Man #26 Edition

Postby Draco x » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:53 pm

Zechs wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
I skimmed the Spock/Avengers/Ghost Pete portions.

Basically the two sides due battle in an abandoned Oscorp building (probably the one from waaaaay back in Amazing Spider-Man #649). Green Goblin demands a truce with Hobgoblin in the fact that both their sides will be wasted if they continue this battle and it'll only benefit Spock.

So a compromise is made between the two: they will do battle and winner gets the other's army. Hobgoblin agrees and the true Goblin War begins. The pair spare back and forth mocking previous goblins before them: Ned Leeds, Jason Macendale, Daniel Kingsley, Bart Hamilton, and Harry Osborn. It's when the later is mentioned and a modified pumpkin bomb is blown point blank that sends Green Goblin into a berserk state. He rips the remaining parts of his costume on his chest to reveal the scar Norman got from Amazing #123.

Green Goblin then starts whaling on Hobgoblin until he has his hands
around the other's throat. Not even after Hobgoblin slams two razor bats
into Green Goblin's exposed sides halt the move and the Hobgoblin dies.

Green Goblin stands victorious with all crime in New York now under his glove. However, Phil lingers next to Hobgoblin's body recalling Amazing #649 and "Danger Zone". He just has to peak whose under the mask. Sure enough the Hobgoblin under the mask ain't Kingsley(it's the butler who showed up at the end of "Danger Zone"). For fear of the Green Goblin instantly losing Hobgoblin's newly acquired lackeys, Phil sets to dispose of the body. However, he ponders where the hell is Kingsley?

Cue the final page we're back in Paris, France with Kingsley brainwashing another poor sap in the Winker Device to think he's the Hobgoblin. He laments on the waste of using his Butler as a pawn since the man knew how to whip a good mixed drink, but sacrifices have to be made.

Cue the final page I posted with Kingsley ready to probably make a huge profit in the new post-Superior world. So basically, Green Goblin wins, but the Hobgoblin wins the larger game.

Aha, I predicted this would happen as this is basically the same trick that Dr. Doom used on Osborn at the beginning of Siege and GG fell for it again( Although this is obviously not Osborn). Kingsley will predictably watch GG and co fall on their sword in the upcoming battle with Spock and strike when everyone least expects it.

Advertisement

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:32 pm

Zechs wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
I skimmed the Spock/Avengers/Ghost Pete portions.

Basically the two sides due battle in an abandoned Oscorp building (probably the one from waaaaay back in Amazing Spider-Man #649). Green Goblin demands a truce with Hobgoblin in the fact that both their sides will be wasted if they continue this battle and it'll only benefit Spock.

So a compromise is made between the two: they will do battle and winner gets the other's army. Hobgoblin agrees and the true Goblin War begins. The pair spare back and forth mocking previous goblins before them: Ned Leeds, Jason Macendale, Daniel Kingsley, Bart Hamilton, and Harry Osborn. It's when the later is mentioned and a modified pumpkin bomb is blown point blank that sends Green Goblin into a berserk state. He rips the remaining parts of his costume on his chest to reveal the scar Norman got from Amazing #123.

Green Goblin then starts whaling on Hobgoblin until he has his hands
around the other's throat. Not even after Hobgoblin slams two razor bats
into Green Goblin's exposed sides halt the move and the Hobgoblin dies.

Green Goblin stands victorious with all crime in New York now under his glove. However, Phil lingers next to Hobgoblin's body recalling Amazing #649 and "Danger Zone". He just has to peak whose under the mask. Sure enough the Hobgoblin under the mask ain't Kingsley(it's the butler who showed up at the end of "Danger Zone"). For fear of the Green Goblin instantly losing Hobgoblin's newly acquired lackeys, Phil sets to dispose of the body. However, he ponders where the hell is Kingsley?

Cue the final page we're back in Paris, France with Kingsley brainwashing another poor sap in the Winker Device to think he's the Hobgoblin. He laments on the waste of using his Butler as a pawn since the man knew how to whip a good mixed drink, but sacrifices have to be made.

Cue the final page I posted with Kingsley ready to probably make a huge profit in the new post-Superior world. So basically, Green Goblin wins, but the Hobgoblin wins the larger game.

Isn't it funny that Phil of all people was the one who was smart enough to remember that Kingsley has a stichkt for using dupes and not GG himself? It's public knowledge that Roderick has set up people as the Hobgoblin so the Green Goblin( Whether or not it's Osborn) would have been the one to have wondered if he really killed Kingsley or not-plus the new dupe went out way more easier than Kingsley would have by the way. If GG is really Norman he would have recalled how physically tough Roderick is to take in a fight for him to go out that easily.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:14 am

With only a few issues left in the Superior Era (it sort of rhymes, shut up), we really are in the endgame now for SpOck, as Dan Slott moves every plotline that little bit closer to culminating. This issue is pretty much evenly split amongst 3 separate stories, and each one has a different artist accompanying Slott.

The first one, drawn by Humberto Ramos, features the surprisingly swift end of the so-called ‘Goblin War’, as Green Goblin leads his forces against those of the Hobgoblin. In the midst of battle, Green Goblin calls for a halt, and suggests that, rather than waste any more time, money or henchman, they end the battle in one-on-one combat between Gobby and Hobby, which is cool indeed, and as I said, surprising. The fight between them is mostly involved with eacho of them finding out who is actually under the other’s mask. Green Goblin quickly figures out that yep, this is Roderick Kingsley, but Hobgoblin actually thinks it might be Harry Osborn. That is until he rips open Gobby’s chest and sees a craterous scar that could only come from being impaled by a Glider. This means that it can only be the real deal, Norman Osborn, which shocks Hobby enough and allows Gobby to take control of the fight and kill his enemy, declaring himself ‘The Goblin King’. Now of course, we still haven’t seen the Green Goblin’s face, so the mystery still stands, and I do still think it’s a misdirect, and it isn’t actually Stormin’ Norman.

Green Goblin brings all of Hobgoblin’s men onto his side, and now it looks like he finally has an army to take on Spider-Man. Of course, there’s another twist, as it turns out that this Hobgoblin wasn’t actually Roderick Kingsley, but instead a stooge that had been brainwashed and modified into acting, talking and fighting like Kingsley. Only Phil Urich knows the truth, and he’s keeping it from Green Goblin, so who knows when this will come back into play? I imagine Kingsley won’t appear again until Amazing Spider-Man is back.

The second storyline, with art from Javier Rodriguez focuses on Spider-Man and the Avengers. Spidey is leading his Spiderlings against some AIM soldiers, but they are interrupted by Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Black Widow, Wolverine and Spider-Woman, who take everyone out, both AIM and the Spiderlings, so they can take Spider-Man in and question him about why he deleted all their files on him. Basically, all of SpOck’s chickens are coming home to roost, and now he’s got an intellect that beats even his in Tony Stark’s trying to find out the truth. So, rather than try and worm his way out once again or face discovery, Spider-Man just quits, by, in quite a symbolic moment, jumping through the same window that ‘Doctor Octopus’ (Peter Parker) pushed him through back in Amazing Spider-Man #700. So now, Spider-Man is all alone, with the Goblins circling.

The final storyline of this issue, where Slott is joined by the always awesome Marcos Martin, is focused on the ‘ghost’ of Peter Parker, as he wanders around inside his and Otto’s shared mind, seeing some of his remaining memories. Because he has lost so much, Peter thinks he’s weaker, that he has no hope of fighting back, but then he realises that the memories that are left are the most important ones, like busting out from under the machinery, and that he’s actually been ‘distilled to his core’ rather than erased, and that he will find a way to win. Which we know he obviously will, but it’s going to be fun to see how he does it. Also, this raises some interesting possibilities about what Peter Parker will be like when he does return, will he have lost a lot of his memories? I’m not sure how I’ll feel about that if it happens, but Slott has a way of making strange-seeming ideas work, just look at this series!

This issue was mostly about moving things into place for an epic final story, but it was still highly enjoyable, with 3 great artists working in tandem with Slot to give each story it’s own feel.
Last edited by Punchy on Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 121 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:40 am

Yeah it'll be curious to see how Peter and his cast react when Amazing restarts.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:25 pm

Punchy wrote:With only a few issues left in the Superior Era (it sort of rhymes, shut up), we really are in the endgame now for SpOck, as Dan Slott moves every plotline that little bit closer to culminating. This issue is pretty much evenly split amongst 3 separate stories, and each one has a different artist accompanying Slott.

The first one, drawn by Humberto Ramos, features the surprisingly swift end of the so-called ‘Goblin War’, as Green Goblin leads his forces against those of the Hobgoblin. In the midst of battle, Green Goblin calls for a halt, and suggests that, rather than waste any more time, money or henchman, they end the battle in one-on-one combat between Gobby and Hobby, which is cool indeed, and as I said, surprising. The fight between them is mostly involved with eacho of them finding out who is actually under the other’s mask. Green Goblin quickly figures out that yep, this is Roderick Kingsley, but Hobgoblin actually thinks it might be Harry Osborn. That is until he rips open Gobby’s chest and sees a craterous scar that could only come from being impaled by a Glider. This means that it can only be the real deal, Norman Osborn, which shocks Hobby enough and allows Gobby to take control of the fight and kill his enemy, declaring himself ‘The Goblin King’. Now of course, we still haven’t seen the Green Goblin’s face, so the mystery still stands, and I do still think it’s a misdirect, and it isn’t actually Stormin’ Norman.

Green Goblin brings all of Hobgoblin’s men onto his side, and now it looks like he finally has an army to take on Spider-Man. Of course, there’s another twist, as it turns out that this Hobgoblin wasn’t actually Roderick Kingsley, but instead a stooge that had been brainwashed and modified into acting, talking and fighting like Kingsley. Only Phil Urich knows the truth, and he’s keeping it from Green Goblin, so who knows when this will come back into play? I imagine Kingsley won’t appear again until Amazing Spider-Man is back.

The second storyline, with art from Javier Rodriguez focuses on Spider-Man and the Avengers. Spidey is leading his Spiderlings against some AIM soldiers, but they are interrupted by Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Black Widow, Wolverine and Spider-Woman, who take everyone out, both AIM and the Spiderlings, so they can take Spider-Man in and question him about why he deleted all their files on him. Basically, all of SpOck’s chickens are coming home to roost, and now he’s got an intellect that beats even his in Tony Stark’s trying to find out the truth. So, rather than try and worm his way out once again or face discovery, Spider-Man just quits, by, in quite a symbolic moment, jumping through the same window that ‘Doctor Octopus’ (Peter Parker) pushed him through back in Amazing Spider-Man #700. So now, Spider-Man is all alone, with the Goblins circling.

The final storyline of this issue, where Slott is joined by the always awesome Marcos Martin, is focused on the ‘ghost’ of Peter Parker, as he wanders around inside his and Otto’s shared mind, seeing some of his remaining memories. Because he has lost so much, Peter thinks he’s weaker, that he has no hope of fighting back, but then he realises that the memories that are left are the most important ones, like busting out from under the machinery, and that he’s actually been ‘distilled to his core’ rather than erased, and that he will find a way to win. Which we know he obviously will, but it’s going to be fun to see how he does it. Also, this raises some interesting possibilities about what Peter Parker will be like when he does return, will he have lost a lot of his memories? I’m not sure how I’ll feel about that if it happens, but Slott has a way of making strange-seeming ideas work, just look at this series!

This issue was mostly about moving things into place for an epic final story, but it was still highly enjoyable, with 3 great artists working in tandem with Slot to give each story it’s own feel.

Good review and all but like I was telling Zechs, that it's odd that given the public history of Kingsley using decoys to stand in for him that the Green Goblin wouldn't have thought to have thought to have checked under the mask to make sure it was really Kingsley instead of Phil being the one to figure it out.
I have a theory that with Green Goblin that there are perhaps two of them: one being Norman and the other being either Harry or Gabe possibly.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand