Advertisement

The Secret Service #1 (Doobie? Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Shitlord

The Secret Service #1 (Doobie? Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:24 pm

Another Millarworld title begins, and so far, it looks like being another pretty big success. The premise here is basically a James Bond type spy story but set in the real world. No superheroes here. The opening scene with Mark Hamill getting killed was a pretty good laugh, and I’m interested that his kidnapping does seem to tie into the main plot, the central mystery here is about a bunch of famous science fiction actors getting kidnapped. This is a typical Millar idea really, and it allows him to get in some funny references. I found the stuff set on the council estate with Gary very interesting, it’s rare to see depictions of the British Working Class in comics, and this, to me, seemed fairly realistic (not that I’m working class, I’m decidedly in the middle), and it’s going to be fun to see Gary go from the Chav we see here to a spy. The artwork here of course came from Dave Gibbons, and as befits a living legend, it’s fantastic, his style works here because of the realism, he’s always drawn even the most fantastical of things in a way that grounds them, and he does that here. If there’s any justice in the world, this new project here will outsell DC’s retread of his past. But that’s a pipe-dream isn’t it? For now, let’s just enjoy some fantastic art, a cool new concept from the master of high-concepts in Mark Millar, and await the inevitable blockbuster movie.

Advertisement

alaska1125
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 7 posts

Re: The Secret Service #1 (Doobie? Spoilers)

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:45 pm

This one didn't grab me. It felt like it thought it was way more clever and witty than it actually was. Possibly the worst art I've seen from Gibbons as well. I'll be hard pressed to purchase the next issue.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand