Advertisement

The Shade #5 (Call me Richard Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

The Shade #5 (Call me Richard Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:59 am

Another very enjoyable issue of The Shade, and one made even better by Robinson being joined by Javier Pulido’s artwork. Pulido has always been a favourite of mine, and while he’s not quite as experimental in his layouts as the similar Marcos Martin, he’s still very stylish and perfect for this story and character. The best thing about this story was the introduction of La Sangre, who not only expanded the global side of the DCU as we see which ‘hero’ protects Barcelona, but also added a never before seen wrinkle to The Shade’s character, in that she’s his adopted daughter. Oh yeah, and she’s a vampire. (Nice nod to Andrew Bennett in this issue, I wonder if La Sangre might show up in I, Vampire? That would be excellente). I’m sure some purists will complain about how come Shade never mentioned this in 80 or so issues of Starman, but he’s always been a secretive fellow, and Robinson did tie it into a mystery about the character, how exactly he turned completely from a man with shadow powers to a full shadow-being. This is an excellent mini, yes it’s a little verbose, but it’s a fun journey around the world of the DCU and the through-line of The Shade’s blood is a strong one. Forget your continuity concerns and whether or not it’s on Earth-2 or whatever and just dive in!

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand