Tuesday, June 19, 2018 • Morning Edition • "We put the "O" in OCD."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

The Spectre: Why Does DC Keep Screwing Up With Him?

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Zechs

Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:57 pm

Honestly watching Chill of the Night and the short he's getting quite some publicity lately. Yet, DC keeps throwing him around like a rag doll always getting owned by the bad guys. In fact it's quite sad now. I remember talking to God-Man how when in Zero Hour the Spectre's appearance meant something.

Final Crisis and Blackest Night he's nothing more than a joke with the villains pulling some deus ex machina to avoid God's Wrath. The question I ask is when will somebody at DC just give the Spectre his due again?

Is it because in the end he has the same flaw as the Punisher does in the Marvel Universe? Or is it more to the fact every writer seems to shoehorn their all powerful character owning him?

Also was his series which ended during the 90s good? I remember hearing good things about it.

nietoperz

The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:00 pm

The character has been made to be too powerful, so it's hard to do much with him. Writers essentially have to take him out of the action immediately otherwise he becomes a deus-ex-machina.

I thought that Will Pfeiffer's mini series right after Infinite Crisis was really good though, and I'd love to see more of that.

Windom URL

Rain Partier

Postby Windom URL » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:01 pm

Same thing happened to Swamp Thing.

nietoperz

The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:05 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:Same thing happened to Swamp Thing.

Yup, especially after Millar made him the embodiment of the entire planet at the Parliament of Worlds.

Zechs

Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:08 pm

Yeah but he was used so well in Zero Hour. Where he used at the last moment and bam was one of the reasons why the heroes won. Nowadays it's an utter joke with him.

Mister Traves

Birdman

Postby Mister Traves » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:37 pm

I actually think the Spectre story that was included in Countdown to Mystery was quite good.

TheSecondLex

cheese

Postby TheSecondLex » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:09 pm

Zechs wrote:Yeah but he was used so well in Zero Hour. Where he used at the last moment and bam was one of the reasons why the heroes won. Nowadays it's an utter joke with him.

For Spectre to work properly, then, we need Hal Jordan-going-crazy levels of apocalypse to happen? I like it!

But with Commander Cuckoobananas in charge, this is probably unlikely.

Tendrin

Flying Mongoose

Postby Tendrin » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:12 pm

As good as the end of Ostrander's run was?

They never should've gotten rid of Corrigan. The character has been a complete mess ever since.

john lewis hawk

Founder of The Outhouse

Postby john lewis hawk » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:16 pm

Because DC sucks nowadays.

The Spectre's a big-time deus ex machina character but writers have trouble dealing with conflicts besides power vs. power so they have to have the Spectre job to the villains. I mean, I always enjoy when Lex Luthor can challenge Superman without using power suit, kryptonite, a powerful goon, or some other way to go to Supes's level.

Windom URL

Rain Partier

Postby Windom URL » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:17 pm

Tendrin wrote:As good as the end of Ostrander's run was?

They never should've gotten rid of Corrigan. The character has been a complete mess ever since.

Yeah, I have zero interest in a non-Corrigan Spectre.

Greg

Rain Partier

Postby Greg » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:23 pm

Cuz he's black.

mrorangesoda

FROGMAN

Postby mrorangesoda » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:52 pm

Spectre is one of those characters that works best in his own book/stories. When DC tries to Marvel-fy everything into a cohesive universe with lots of crossovers he has to make an appearance in, the character loses the appeal he has when, say, feeding a mobster to ants.

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:17 am

Spicy Dick wrote:Yeah, I have zero interest in a non-Corrigan Spectre.

I floated an idea around here and at old Rama that they should bond him to Terry Sloane, the first Mister Terrific. But have them able to seperate like Corrigan and the Spectre did in the Sixties book. The whole idea would be the kind of an "Odd Couple" embodiment of Fair Play trying to reel in the Spirit of Vengance who doesn't play fair.

Benderbrau

Twenty-Something

Postby Benderbrau » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:19 am

Greg wrote:Cuz he's black.

He's the whitest black character in the DC universe. He's DC's own alchemic_spider.

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:48 am

Because they took a character who was never supposed to be a superhero, a character from a police comic, a fairly realistic series, and jammed him up a mystical cosmic butthole.

leave a comment with facebook