Advertisement

The True Lives Of The Fabulous Killjoys #1 (SPLRS)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

The True Lives Of The Fabulous Killjoys #1 (SPLRS)

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:23 am

Yes, this is a comic from the lead singer of My Chemical Romance, and yes, it’s a sequel to a concept album by them that came out 3 years ago, but it’s worth your time. First of all Danger Days is probably MCR’s best record, and Gerard Way’s previous comics work, The Umbrella Academy, is just damn good whichever way you slice it. Call me an emo or whatever, but I enjoyed this comic.

This series picks up after the end of the Danger Days album, where the heroes, the Killjoys were killed. It’s kind of hard to follow the plot of a musical album, but I don’t think you really need to have listened to it, the post-apocalyptic world of the Killjoys is introduced well enough in the comic, albeit in a mysterious way that only begs more questions. I’m not really sure how to describe it, there’s Dracula zombies, masked teenage vigilantes and robotic prostitutes, it’s kind of crazy, but still very cool. Way and co-writer Shaun Simon really drop you into this fascinating world, and their dialogue is very strong, for those who have listened to the music, there are echoes of it here and there. The comic also features radio snippets from ‘Doctor Death-Defying’ just like the record, and it says something that you can really here that same voice in your head when reading it.

I’m still not sure what the Danger Days album was about, and the comic isn’t helping, but it’s all very stylish and fun. Part of that comes from the artwork of Becky Cloonan, who is just as great here as she always is, perhaps better. The most recent work I’ve seen from her was Conan, which was dark and muddy, but here, with the bright, day-glo colours of Dan Jackson, everything really pops. This was a solid start to a very intriguing world, and I think it’s great to see a celebrity come into comics and stick around and deliver some really interesting work. If you like MCR, you need to pick this up, and even if you hate them, you’ll probably like this anyway, Way is a creative and interesting person to follow, in any genre. And hey, the villain is Grant Morrison, you can’t say no to that can you?
Last edited by Punchy on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Re: The True Lives Of The Fabulous Killjoys #1 (SPLRS)

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:52 am

I expected to buy this book until I flipped through it on the rack.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:53 am

Victorian Squid wrote:I expected to buy this book until I flipped through it on the rack.

What put you off?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:09 pm

Punchy wrote:
What put you off?

Not sure precisely, but it was a combo of the art and some isolated panels I read. I know that's not truly enough of a sample to pass judgement on it, but sometimes you have just a moment to go with your gut. I was sort of choosing between this and the new A1 anthology book, money's a bit tight this week although I could have bought both if I wanted to. The A1 anthology won the day, and a lot of that comes down to one segment having Garrie Gastonny art because he's very talented, and because of past A1 books I quite like.

I don't actually remember the dialogue that put me off of Killjoys, though, I was rushing a bit at the time.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 53 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:03 pm

I'll trade wait and then likely it'll sit nicely next to my sweet-ass Umbrella Academy books.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand