Advertisement

The Wake #7 (The Golden Net Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Shitlord

The Wake #7 (The Golden Net Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:14 am

Scott Snyder and Sean Murphy delve even deeper into the Dystopian Future side of this epic story here, and man, it’s just getting better and better as we find out more about the world the Mers have created.

The issue begins with a flashback to Leeward’s childhood, as we see she and her parents attempting to escape from the Gov and try their luck on the open sea in an awesome looking zeppelin/truck/boat hybrid. However, before they can get going, the Arm (that’s not a typo, the army is called the arm in the future) shows up to stop them, led by General Marlow. Leeward’s dad gets out to talk to him, but tells her to set off without him. She puts her foot on the pedals, but we don’t see anymore. I’m guessing it doesn’t turn out well, as Leeward is still in America in the present, and neither of her parents are around.

In fact, we get confirmation that her parents are dead in the next scene, as both Leeward and Pub have been captured and imprisoned on a floating gulag for trying to listen into the bottom of the ocean. Leeward tells Pub she plans on escaping, to maybe try her luck with the so-called ‘Outliers’, rogue pirates who live out on the sea and are supposedly cannibals who mate with the Mers. But she doesn’t have much luck here, as Marlow is right behind her and hears everything. Marlow is going to take Leeward and have her walk the plank.

I found the short scene that shows Marlow’s talk with the Governess before getting on the ship very interesting indeed, as she tells him that all of the soldiers who heard Lee Archer’s message are to be killed. The conspiracy here goes deep, but why? What does this woman have to gain from the world slowly being drowned?

Just as Leeward is thrown off the side of the ship, a giant fucking Mer attacks it, and what follows is an amazing action sequence from Sean Murphy. I’ve been a fan of his art for a long time, but The Wake is his best work yet I feel, and this huge monster attack shows that. Lee splashes into the water, where her Dolphin, Dash, comes to the rescue, but even then she’s in trouble, Marlow has her in his sights and then… she gets swallowed by a giant Mer. But instead of just being eaten, Leeward finds a strange metal structure inside the Mer and it’s inhabited by a bunch of men dressed up like old-school Pirates. These have to be the Outliers, but is it out of the frying pan and into the fire? Are these men just going to eat Leeward? Or are they going to help. It’s probably the latter, but you never know. They certainly look cool.

This title really is going for it in the second half, I can’t wait to see all of the mysteries explored, and to see how Leeward connects with Lee Archer, other than her name.
Last edited by Punchy on Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 149 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Re: The Wake #7 (The Golden Net Spoilers)

Postby habitual » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:26 pm

This book is fantastic.

I hope to see more of this world beyond this mini-series.

Hab

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 375 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Re: The Wake #7 (The Golden Net Spoilers)

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:29 pm

The ending surprised me.

WTF, the pirates are controlling one of the big Mers?

Thank you Troy for the sig

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand