Advertisement

Things DC Doesn't Like!

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 79 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Re: Things DC Doesn't Like!

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:22 am

Golden Age characters

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Advertisement

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 139 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Postby GOSD » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:11 am

nietoperz wrote:Things DC doesn't like: my money, apparently.

Agreed.

I've been a fan of the Flash since forever but this is unforgiveable to me.

When I get my copy of this rape, I will burn it.

Flash dropped.

2 people like this post.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 240 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:53 am

GOSD wrote:
Agreed.

I've been a fan of the Flash since forever but this is unforgiveable to me.

When I get my copy of this rape, I will burn it.

Flash dropped.

Wally being black doesn't enter into it for me. Flash was dropped just because it wasn't very good (especially now when the name Brett Booth is reason to drop a book regardless).

Wally, in his last known incarnation, was overshadowed and bogged down by his kids. Now that their not in the picture (I hope) it's time for the character to get a chance to shine.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 142 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:05 am

Amoebas wrote:Wally being black doesn't enter into it for me. Flash was dropped just because it wasn't very good (especially now when the name Brett Booth is reason to drop a book regardless).

Wally, in his last known incarnation, was overshadowed and bogged down by his kids. Now that their not in the picture (I hope) it's time for the character to get a chance to shine.

Except that this isn't Wally West, not really - and ethnicity has nothing to do with it. Wally West was Barry Allen's sidekick who grew up, stepped out of his mentor's shadow and became one of the greatest heroes of the DCU in his own right. This character shares his name, but that's it.

In the end, I don't begrudge people who want to follow this universe the right to enjoy the stories, but let's not kid ourselves that it's the DCU. That particular institution ceased to exist after Flashpoint - this is something entirely new, with a bunch of new characters with familiar names. For me, that means it's time to step off, enjoy the back issues and trades I have and mourn the passing of something that meant a great deal to me for a long time.

And no, this is not just because of Wally (who, admittedly, was my favourite DC character for more than two decades) - not one DC character remains anything more than a similarly-named shadow of what they once were, and the universe itself suffers, in my opinion, from having been precised and abbreviated to the extent that it has.

2 people like this post.

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 139 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Postby GOSD » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:49 am

nietoperz wrote:
Except that this isn't Wally West, not really - and ethnicity has nothing to do with it. Wally West was Barry Allen's sidekick who grew up, stepped out of his mentor's shadow and became one of the greatest heroes of the DCU in his own right. This character shares his name, but that's it.

In the end, I don't begrudge people who want to follow this universe the right to enjoy the stories, but let's not kid ourselves that it's the DCU. That particular institution ceased to exist after Flashpoint - this is something entirely new, with a bunch of new characters with familiar names. For me, that means it's time to step off, enjoy the back issues and trades I have and mourn the passing of something that meant a great deal to me for a long time.

And no, this is not just because of Wally (who, admittedly, was my favourite DC character for more than two decades) - not one DC character remains anything more than a similarly-named shadow of what they once were, and the universe itself suffers, in my opinion, from having been precised and abbreviated to the extent that it has.

Exactly.

When Mile Morales "replaced" Peter Parker as Spider-man, I was hesitant but ok with that. This was a new character with tons of potential and I'm glad that I'm onboard.

I've been an avid Flash fan since 1986 and my Flash has always been Wally.

I've never felt the term "raped my childhood" applied to me until now.

Thanks DC.

HNutz likes this post.

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 270 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:55 am

nietoperz wrote:Except that this isn't Wally West, not really - and ethnicity has nothing to do with it. Wally West was Barry Allen's sidekick who grew up, stepped out of his mentor's shadow and became one of the greatest heroes of the DCU in his own right. This character shares his name, but that's it.

^^^^ This. 100%... 1,000%... 1,000,000% this.

The New 52 characters are all "INOs" -- the character In Name Only. There are a few who are closer than others, but the vast, VAST majority of them are really the character in name and in very broad powerset terms only.

But I guess DC would say that we need to "get with the program." That the original versions we liked, those aren't hip enough, grim enough, gritty enough, badass enough, to attract popular attention. And maybe that's true.

But as someone else said above, this decision also means that something else DC doesn't like very much is my money. Because I now spend WAY more of it per month on indies than I do on DC Comics. And that is something that last happened in the 1980s (when I spent more on Marvel than on DC).

HNutz likes this post.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:47 am

Chessack wrote:
^^^^ This. 100%... 1,000%... 1,000,000% this.

The New 52 characters are all "INOs" -- the character In Name Only. There are a few who are closer than others, but the vast, VAST majority of them are really the character in name and in very broad powerset terms only.

But I guess DC would say that we need to "get with the program." That the original versions we liked, those aren't hip enough, grim enough, gritty enough, badass enough, to attract popular attention. And maybe that's true.

But as someone else said above, this decision also means that something else DC doesn't like very much is my money. Because I now spend WAY more of it per month on indies than I do on DC Comics. And that is something that last happened in the 1980s (when I spent more on Marvel than on DC).

Why do want to be like Herald? Haven't enough hookers died because of him?

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 240 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:05 am

nietoperz wrote:

Likewise, I don't begrudge those who've left. I've just seen DC retcon and reboot itself often enough that I don't mind rolling with it. It's what DC does every decade or so (going back to something like George Perez's Wonder Woman - that wasn't the Wonder Woman anyone had known, yet it was damn good. New 52 Swamp Thing isn't the same as the Pre-Flashpoint Swamp Thing - but Swamp Thing is probably the best book being published right now)(The New 52 Wonder Woman is a close second).

This new Wally West could very well be a great character, or he could be a dud. I'll judge this based on this new character and not on what I'd prefer him to be based on a different continuity.

That said, it'll be a while before I judge anything because right now I can't stand the art enough to get me to follow the book.

2 people like this post.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 57 posts

Postby doombug » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:57 pm

nietoperz wrote:

Just exactly this.

There's very little I actually enjoy about the new 52 because for the most part, these aren't the characters I grew up reading. (and once again, I'm only 26)

I do enjoy Earth 2 for changing things up the way they do but that's different to the issue of changing a characters complete identity but keeping their name.

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 270 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:03 pm

doombug wrote:There's very little I actually enjoy about the new 52 because for the most part, these aren't the characters I grew up reading. (and once again, I'm only 26)

Think how much worse it is for someone much older than you are (I'm 45).

2 people like this post.

Herald
biny little tird

Liked in: 207 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:31 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
Why do want to be like Herald? Haven't enough hookers died because of him?

The real question is: Why not? :-D

holtom2000 likes this post.

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 52 posts

Postby holtom2000 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:47 pm

nietoperz wrote:

what he said. how can a completely different character they happen to be named wally West be anything but compared to the Wally West we all knew, loved, and the one that sold very very well I might add...

HNutz likes this post.

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 52 posts

Postby holtom2000 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:48 pm

Chessack wrote:
Think how much worse it is for someone much older than you are (I'm 45).

40!

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:07 pm

Herald wrote:

The real question is: Why not? :-D

Because you aid and abet this man:

- Sons of the Desert

RoosterHardwood
expert hobo killer

Liked in: 26 posts
Title: Cock of the Walk

Postby RoosterHardwood » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:19 am

I heard DC hates people who read comics.

am i doing it right you guys?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand