Advertisement

I'm thinking of dropping the Bat-books.

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

L Independant
25 To Life

Liked in: 0 post

Postby L Independant » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:00 am

Shady wrote:weed out all the crap eh!?!
Yup.

Advertisement

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Title: Internet Celebrity

Re: I'm thinking of dropping the Bat-books.

Postby MoneyMelon » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:40 am

nietoperz wrote:There are several reasons for this. Firstly, with Final Crisis, Ambush Bug and a few other things coming this summer, I need to make some room on my pull list. Secondly, the whole Batman: RIP thing turns me right off. Thirdly, I'm kind of undecided on Morrison's Batman run anyway. Fourthly, a five-part story featuring Hush (a villain I really don't care for) in Detective Comics.

I don't know, though. Dropping my favourite character is a big step. What say you guys?

I say drop the books if you plan on trying something else. There's no sense in spending your hard earned money on something you're not getting 100% enjoyment out of.

And these days, everything gets put in trades. If you decide you want to go back and read it later, you can always get the trade which usually saves you a couple bucks and comes with a lot of bonus material.

However, I would like to recommend Batman & The Outsiders. I'm really enjoying that book a lot. Chuck Dixon does great, fun action stories and Julian Lopez is one of the best new artists I've seen in a long time.

Man of Steel wrote:get over myself? You're the one who fancies himself some sort of internet celebrity.

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:40 am

That's funny as I'm thinking about picking the Bat-books up. I have no clue what Morrison's planning and the possiblities really exict me and I think Hush, in the right hands (which wouldn't be Loeb or Liberman), could be a very interesting villain.

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:41 am

nietoperz wrote:I'm even gladder I'm making room now that I've read about Greg Rucka's Final Crisis mini starring The Spectre and The Question. That's going to be good, I think.

I'm really excited about Geoff Johns' "Legion of Three Worlds" and "Rogues' Revenge" tie-in minis.

I usually hate tie-ins, but Geoff Johns has never disappointed me.

Man of Steel wrote:get over myself? You're the one who fancies himself some sort of internet celebrity.

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Re: I'm thinking of dropping the Bat-books.

Postby MoneyMelon » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:43 am

nietoperz wrote:I don't know, though. Dropping my favourite character is a big step. What say you guys?

I know how you feel.

I dropped Spider-Man a few months ago.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:43 am

For the next few months my spare comic cash is kind of earmarked. Final Crisis looks great, as do the Spectre / Question and Superman / LSH mini-series. Also, Ambush Bug. And as I'm already getting Buffy and Angel, the Spike mini is kind of a must.

Then there are the FC one-shots from the skip week. Superman Beyond by Morrison? Yes please.

Also, Matt Wagner's new Madame Xanadu series from Vertigo looke REALLY good...

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:44 am

I really want Rogues Revenge as well, but I think I may have to pass on it for financial reasons...

L Independant
25 To Life

Postby L Independant » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:49 am

I've been thinking about reading comics again, but can't justify the $3/issue price. That, and the number of nerd books (on economic development and environmental sustainability) in my Amazon Wish List (where I keep track of everything I come across) is in the hundreds. :( I rarely buy new books, and it's still expensive. I did pick up Rawls' Theory of Justice for free at the book store the other day. Yay for old printings and tattered copies!

I'd be picking up Morrison and Dini if not for all of that. :(

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby misac » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:08 pm

Is Batman RIP running through all the Bat-titles? What's Superman Beyond?

I trust Dini, I think Hush will be good in his hands.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:24 pm

In August, there's no issue of Final Crisis - rather three one shots, one of which is called Superman Beyind. It's written by Grant Morrison, and it's in 3-D!

Severed Djed
Bastard #1

Postby Severed Djed » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:51 pm

misac wrote:Is Batman RIP running through all the Bat-titles?

I think the story's contained in Batman, but there will be ripple effects in the other books as the characters react to what's going on.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:12 am

The solicits show that Robin and Detective are tying-in to the story...

Daniel
Great Scott!!!

Postby Daniel » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:45 am

Houman, are you getting Fables? If not get it. If you are, you should try out House of Mystery by Vertigo when it comes out, by the same writer.
starlord wrote::shock: That's the first time paper has ever given me an erection!

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:21 am

I'm not, sadly. I missed the Fables bus, as it were, and I regret it. I want to get the trades, but that'll have to wait for more affluent times.

I thought about House of Mystery, but Madame Xanadu looks more interesting (plus I'm a huge Matt Wagner fan from way back).

Severed Djed
Bastard #1

Postby Severed Djed » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:58 pm

nietoperz wrote:The solicits show that Robin and Detective are tying-in to the story...

Well, so much for that idea...

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand