Advertisement

I'm thinking of dropping the Bat-books.

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Forum Manager

I'm thinking of dropping the Bat-books.

Postby nietoperz » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:05 am

There are several reasons for this. Firstly, with Final Crisis, Ambush Bug and a few other things coming this summer, I need to make some room on my pull list. Secondly, the whole Batman: RIP thing turns me right off. Thirdly, I'm kind of undecided on Morrison's Batman run anyway. Fourthly, a five-part story featuring Hush (a villain I really don't care for) in Detective Comics.

I don't know, though. Dropping my favourite character is a big step. What say you guys?

Advertisement

DeadFett
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Medicated and X-Rated
Formerly: FormerMember

Postby DeadFett » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:50 am

Well, the only Bat book I've been reading has been Detective. I never cared for Morrison's run and dropped it awhile ago. But, like you, I have no interest in Batman RIP. As for Hush, I don't care for the villain all that much either. However, in Dini's hands, he might be interesting. I say if money is an issue then drop them until the Hush arc is over. I plan on dropping Detective until the RIP storyline is over and I'll probably go back once it's over. Even though it's your favorite character, drop the books if they're not interesting you.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:02 am

Dropped 'tec when Dini was only writing every other issue and the art was never any better than average, Morrison's book was always a non-starter. If you don't like the story there's no harm in leaving a gap in your collection if you want Bug and Crisis so much.

Severed Djed
Bastard #1

Postby Severed Djed » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:29 am

I've dropped the books for extended periods before when I wasn't happy with what was going on. Nothing wrong with it.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:09 am

Yeah, you guys are right. I just emailed my mail order guy now and dropped the books...

Shady
cheese

Postby Shady » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:36 am

Is there any chance you would jump back on the titles again and fill in that run?

The only reason I ask this question is that I'm a long time x-men collector and stopped about issue #301 (for Uncanny) and #18 (for X-Men) because the direction was frustrating to follow until the Morrison era. I then found that I didn't want such a large gap in my collection so i've been filling in the gaps since and it has been a task to do so. There are some good sides to it like issues being cheaper than regular price, but again, if your not a completist than all the more to you then.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:09 am

No, I'm not really a collector any more. I used to be, but most of my books were destroyed in a flood about seven years back.

Nowadays I just want to build up a nice library of good stories for my kids to read.

Shady
cheese

Postby Shady » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:15 am

nietoperz wrote:No, I'm not really a collector any more. I used to be, but most of my books were destroyed in a flood about seven years back.

Nowadays I just want to build up a nice library of good stories for my kids to read.

sorry to hear about that but it's nice to hear that your keeping your kids in mind when collecting. I'm sure they'll appreciate it and enjoy all the stories you have collected for them. :D

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:27 am

I hope so! Now all I need is for DC to reprint the whole Giffen JLA/I/E and 5YG LSH (amongst many, many others) and I'm all good...

L Independant
25 To Life

Postby L Independant » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:27 am

I agree with dropping them. Keep checking them on the shelf to see if they're any good and that you wanna pick them up again, or just wait on ganking a read of a TPB at some book store to determine whether you want to buy it or not.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:41 am

The problem is that I can't read them off the shelf - there's only one LCS in town and they're the guys I stopped buying from (plus they don't get in anything that's not on someone's pull). I go mail order these days.

I'll just listen to the consensus here and at the Rama to see whther or not I want to check the trades.

L Independant
25 To Life

Postby L Independant » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:44 am

Probably a wise thing to do. I believe skipping arcs is not a bad way to go, just so it makes sense when the kiddies read them later.

Shady
cheese

Postby Shady » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:56 am

nietoperz wrote:I hope so! Now all I need is for DC to reprint the whole Giffen JLA/I/E and 5YG LSH (amongst many, many others) and I'm all good...

please! I had his JLI run and loved it

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:56 am

I'm even gladder I'm making room now that I've read about Greg Rucka's Final Crisis mini starring The Spectre and The Question. That's going to be good, I think.

Shady
cheese

Postby Shady » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:00 am

L'Indépendant wrote:Probably a wise thing to do. I believe skipping arcs is not a bad way to go, just so it makes sense when the kiddies read them later.

weed out all the crap eh!?!

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand