Advertisement

This is What a Fourteen Year Old Girl Looks Like in Comics Today

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

guitarsmashley
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 16304
Likes: 279 posts
Liked in: 405 posts
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:53 pm
Title: Self Important


Re: This is What a Fourteen Year Old Girl Looks Like in Comi

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:34 pm

Juan Cena wrote:

Tell that to sexually abused or exploited teenaged girls.


outsider wrote:LOL, wut? Did you just make an equivalent Hitler/Nazi internet argument tactic?
TC: "Uh... this pic is kind of creepy. That girl is 14!"
LT: "It's just a comic, quit yer bitching!"
JC: "WuT ABOUT GIRLS THAT GOT RAPED?!!"

You completely jumped about twelve levels of logic and reason to "win" the discussion. :lol:


Personally I thought it was worth a "your mom" joke.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.


doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk



I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Image

Advertisement

HNutz
User avatar
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106
 
Posts: 14939
Likes: 4641 posts
Liked in: 700 posts
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:22 pm


Online


Re: This is What a Fourteen Year Old Girl Looks Like in Comi

Postby HNutz » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:40 pm

So, to reiterate:

Image

This image of a young girl is bad.

Image
Image

This image of a young girl is A-OK.

Unless I've missed complaints when she first appeared, of course.

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Re: This is What a Fourteen Year Old Girl Looks Like in Comi

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:48 pm

There were threads about Hitgirl, actually, that were lost in one of the early site upgrades. You must've missed them back then. Everyone got on thefourthman's case about it. (Not that the way you're framing your argument there holds any water, just for point of fact.)

And now that you mention it, images of Hitgirl have drawn out some very creepy comments here over the years too, as well. You might want to burn that straw man. :lol:

HNutz
User avatar
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106
 
Posts: 14939
Likes: 4641 posts
Liked in: 700 posts
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:22 pm


Online


Re: This is What a Fourteen Year Old Girl Looks Like in Comi

Postby HNutz » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:04 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:There were threads about Hitgirl, actually, that were lost in one of the early site upgrades. You must've missed them back then. Everyone got on thefourthman's case about it. (Not that the way you're framing your argument there holds any water, just for point of fact.)

And now that you mention it, images of Hitgirl have drawn out some very creepy comments here over the years too, as well. You might want to burn that straw man. :lol:


I dunno, as a society we seem to be okay with letting kids watch insanely violent material (you wouldn't believe how many kids I've taught in school have seen Saw, for instance) but we seem to freak out if there's a love scene that's a little explicit.

While we're talking about society and movies/TV... think back to all of those Twilight moms lusting after underage Jacob and that's apparently okay but the folks lusting after teenage Hermonie are weird.

It's apparently no big deal for those 30 year old ladies to oogle a shirtless 17 year old boy but it would be creepy if a guy the same age oogled a 17 year old girl.

Nobama
 
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 61 posts


Re: This is What a Fourteen Year Old Girl Looks Like in Comi

Postby Nobama » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:06 pm

Spektre wrote:
Comic book readers have opinions and complain. It's not that big a deal. Get over it.

Sorry I blew up...

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Re: This is What a Fourteen Year Old Girl Looks Like in Comi

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:14 pm

HNutz wrote:
I dunno, as a society we seem to be okay with letting kids watch insanely violent material (you wouldn't believe how many kids I've taught in school have seen Saw, for instance) but we seem to freak out if there's a love scene that's a little explicit.

While we're talking about society and movies/TV... think back to all of those Twilight moms lusting after underage Jacob and that's apparently okay but the folks lusting after teenage Hermonie are weird.

It's apparently no big deal for those 30 year old ladies to oogle a shirtless 17 year old boy but it would be creepy if a guy the same age oogled a 17 year old girl.


Actually, I used to shudder involuntarily when NPR would blindside me in the morning with a "Twilight Mom" interview. :lol:

But again, you're starting to frame arguments no one made here, and making comparisons with things that aren't remotely the same, like conflating someone thinking a writer and artist choosing to put a 14 yr old character in fetishwear is a tasteless choice for them to have made with not liking love scenes in movies. :smt102

Every visual, every image, in a comic book is deliberate and designed, and the OP is in a sense asking what intended purpose this image served if not sexualization.

chap22
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 21440
Likes: 32 posts
Liked in: 174 posts
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:08 pm
Location: Missi-by God-ssippi, a.k.a. Chapveria
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon


Re: This is What a Fourteen Year Old Girl Looks Like in Comi

Postby chap22 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:40 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
Actually, I used to shudder involuntarily when NPR would blindside me in the morning with a "Twilight Mom" interview. :lol:

But again, you're starting to frame arguments no one made here, and making comparisons with things that aren't remotely the same, like conflating someone thinking a writer and artist choosing to put a 14 yr old character in fetishwear is a tasteless choice for them to have made with not liking love scenes in movies. :smt102

Every visual, every image, in a comic book is deliberate and designed, and the OP is in a sense asking what intended purpose this image served if not sexualization.

And I think the purpose they were trying to serve is characterization. It characterizes Kilgore further as a bad guy, and also as a boy playing at being a man, and clearly not knowing how. When taken in the context of the whole issue, both the actions which occur before and after she puts it on, and both her dialogue with Kilgore and her inner monologue "with" the reader, it characterizes Idie as a child who still doesn't know what she is or how she fits in anywhere...but who is learning. It shows her as someone who's willing to take uncomfortable steps to help her friends and to achieve her goal.

Again, it's one panel. And yes, the outfit is certainly inappropriate for a 14-year-old, but the book isn't even overly sexualizing her as a character in the actions it depicts. She's not pulling down sunglasses with mouth open and making come hither eyes like the girls on the Trouble cover...she's not vamping around Deathstroke in a negligee talking about sex like Terra...she puts on a costume to aid her in obtaining one piece of info then escaping with her friends.

I don't see it as automatically tasteless of the creative team b/c I actually read the issue. There's just more going on than 1 panel.

Spektre
User avatar
Swedish Pinata of Death
 
Posts: 3966
Likes: 194 posts
Liked in: 253 posts
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:14 am


Re: This is What a Fourteen Year Old Girl Looks Like in Comi

Postby Spektre » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:16 pm

HNutz wrote:While we're talking about society and movies/TV... think back to all of those Twilight moms lusting after underage Jacob and that's apparently okay but the folks lusting after teenage Hermonie are weird.



Lindsay Lohan As Sexy Hermione On Snl by SexyPix
- Continuity is or it is not. There is no such thing as soft continuity.
- A character IS his continuity.
- Continuity is consistency of the characteristics of people, plot, objects, and places seen by the reader or viewer.

TimH
User avatar
cheese
 
Posts: 1430
Likes: 101 posts
Liked in: 236 posts
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:08 am


Re: This is What a Fourteen Year Old Girl Looks Like in Comi

Postby TimH » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:06 pm

HNutz wrote: think back to all of those Twilight moms lusting after underage Jacob and that's apparently okay but the folks lusting after teenage Hermonie are weird.


Women lusting after boys is just as creepy, just not quite as predator creepy. ;)

I bet the artist didn't know Idie's age and was just drawing from formula. But yeah what about the editor? Probably didn't put two-and-two together either.

Arion
User avatar
Twenty-Something
 
Posts: 18350
Likes: 16 posts
Liked in: 107 posts
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:53 am
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com


Re: This is What a Fourteen Year Old Girl Looks Like in Comi

Postby Arion » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:12 pm

Oh my goodness, and the cruel mocking of gay people has begun.

TimH
User avatar
cheese
 
Posts: 1430
Likes: 101 posts
Liked in: 236 posts
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:08 am


Re: This is What a Fourteen Year Old Girl Looks Like in Comi

Postby TimH » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:30 pm

Arion wrote:Oh my goodness, and the cruel mocking of gay people has begun.


Eh? Who's quote are you responding to?

Regulator
User avatar
Motherfucker from Hell
 
Posts: 2932
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:12 am


Re: This is What a Fourteen Year Old Girl Looks Like in Comi

Postby Regulator » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:38 pm

Lionel Terror wrote:There reeeeeally isn't enough for some of you guys to complain about in this world, is there.......?


They must not know the President is black.

Nobama
 
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 61 posts


Re: This is What a Fourteen Year Old Girl Looks Like in Comi

Postby Nobama » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:43 pm

Regulator wrote:
They must not know the President is black.

Not sure what your post is attempting here....

GiveWarAChance
User avatar
FROGMAN
 
Posts: 8811
Likes: 201 posts
Liked in: 981 posts
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:06 am
Location: Watching you
Title: Unliving Legend
Formerly: GivePeaceAChance


Re: This is What a Fourteen Year Old Girl Looks Like in Comi

Postby GiveWarAChance » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:48 pm

Some of you guys are acting like you've never read a comic book before. This isn't exactly shocking.
Image

oogy
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 8093
Likes: 409 posts
Liked in: 127 posts
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 6:39 pm
Formerly: oogyboy, Elwood P Dowd, OH USER #535


Re: This is What a Fourteen Year Old Girl Looks Like in Comi

Postby oogy » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:52 pm

Image
Image

Stephen Colbert wrote:Everybody knows I don't see race. People tell me I'm white and I believe them because I get pretty good service at the Cracker Barrel.

Ron Swanson wrote:You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], sdsichero and 84 guests

Advertisement