Saturday, July 30, 2016 • Morning Edition • "The greatest comic book website."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

This is What a Fourteen Year Old Girl Looks Like in Comics Today

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

guitarsmashley

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:34 pm

Juan Cena wrote:

Tell that to sexually abused or exploited teenaged girls.


outsider wrote:LOL, wut? Did you just make an equivalent Hitler/Nazi internet argument tactic?
TC: "Uh... this pic is kind of creepy. That girl is 14!"
LT: "It's just a comic, quit yer bitching!"
JC: "WuT ABOUT GIRLS THAT GOT RAPED?!!"

You completely jumped about twelve levels of logic and reason to "win" the discussion. :lol:


Personally I thought it was worth a "your mom" joke.
User avatar

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:40 pm

So, to reiterate:

Image

This image of a young girl is bad.

Image
Image

This image of a young girl is A-OK.

Unless I've missed complaints when she first appeared, of course.
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:48 pm

There were threads about Hitgirl, actually, that were lost in one of the early site upgrades. You must've missed them back then. Everyone got on thefourthman's case about it. (Not that the way you're framing your argument there holds any water, just for point of fact.)

And now that you mention it, images of Hitgirl have drawn out some very creepy comments here over the years too, as well. You might want to burn that straw man. :lol:
User avatar

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:04 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:There were threads about Hitgirl, actually, that were lost in one of the early site upgrades. You must've missed them back then. Everyone got on thefourthman's case about it. (Not that the way you're framing your argument there holds any water, just for point of fact.)

And now that you mention it, images of Hitgirl have drawn out some very creepy comments here over the years too, as well. You might want to burn that straw man. :lol:


I dunno, as a society we seem to be okay with letting kids watch insanely violent material (you wouldn't believe how many kids I've taught in school have seen Saw, for instance) but we seem to freak out if there's a love scene that's a little explicit.

While we're talking about society and movies/TV... think back to all of those Twilight moms lusting after underage Jacob and that's apparently okay but the folks lusting after teenage Hermonie are weird.

It's apparently no big deal for those 30 year old ladies to oogle a shirtless 17 year old boy but it would be creepy if a guy the same age oogled a 17 year old girl.

Nobama

Postby Nobama » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:06 pm

Spektre wrote:
Comic book readers have opinions and complain. It's not that big a deal. Get over it.

Sorry I blew up...
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:14 pm

HNutz wrote:
I dunno, as a society we seem to be okay with letting kids watch insanely violent material (you wouldn't believe how many kids I've taught in school have seen Saw, for instance) but we seem to freak out if there's a love scene that's a little explicit.

While we're talking about society and movies/TV... think back to all of those Twilight moms lusting after underage Jacob and that's apparently okay but the folks lusting after teenage Hermonie are weird.

It's apparently no big deal for those 30 year old ladies to oogle a shirtless 17 year old boy but it would be creepy if a guy the same age oogled a 17 year old girl.


Actually, I used to shudder involuntarily when NPR would blindside me in the morning with a "Twilight Mom" interview. :lol:

But again, you're starting to frame arguments no one made here, and making comparisons with things that aren't remotely the same, like conflating someone thinking a writer and artist choosing to put a 14 yr old character in fetishwear is a tasteless choice for them to have made with not liking love scenes in movies. :smt102

Every visual, every image, in a comic book is deliberate and designed, and the OP is in a sense asking what intended purpose this image served if not sexualization.
User avatar

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:40 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
Actually, I used to shudder involuntarily when NPR would blindside me in the morning with a "Twilight Mom" interview. :lol:

But again, you're starting to frame arguments no one made here, and making comparisons with things that aren't remotely the same, like conflating someone thinking a writer and artist choosing to put a 14 yr old character in fetishwear is a tasteless choice for them to have made with not liking love scenes in movies. :smt102

Every visual, every image, in a comic book is deliberate and designed, and the OP is in a sense asking what intended purpose this image served if not sexualization.

And I think the purpose they were trying to serve is characterization. It characterizes Kilgore further as a bad guy, and also as a boy playing at being a man, and clearly not knowing how. When taken in the context of the whole issue, both the actions which occur before and after she puts it on, and both her dialogue with Kilgore and her inner monologue "with" the reader, it characterizes Idie as a child who still doesn't know what she is or how she fits in anywhere...but who is learning. It shows her as someone who's willing to take uncomfortable steps to help her friends and to achieve her goal.

Again, it's one panel. And yes, the outfit is certainly inappropriate for a 14-year-old, but the book isn't even overly sexualizing her as a character in the actions it depicts. She's not pulling down sunglasses with mouth open and making come hither eyes like the girls on the Trouble cover...she's not vamping around Deathstroke in a negligee talking about sex like Terra...she puts on a costume to aid her in obtaining one piece of info then escaping with her friends.

I don't see it as automatically tasteless of the creative team b/c I actually read the issue. There's just more going on than 1 panel.
User avatar

Spektre

penile prisoner

Postby Spektre » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:16 pm

HNutz wrote:While we're talking about society and movies/TV... think back to all of those Twilight moms lusting after underage Jacob and that's apparently okay but the folks lusting after teenage Hermonie are weird.


User avatar

TimH

dINGO

Postby TimH » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:06 pm

HNutz wrote: think back to all of those Twilight moms lusting after underage Jacob and that's apparently okay but the folks lusting after teenage Hermonie are weird.


Women lusting after boys is just as creepy, just not quite as predator creepy. ;)

I bet the artist didn't know Idie's age and was just drawing from formula. But yeah what about the editor? Probably didn't put two-and-two together either.
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:12 pm

Oh my goodness, and the cruel mocking of gay people has begun.
User avatar

TimH

dINGO

Postby TimH » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:30 pm

Arion wrote:Oh my goodness, and the cruel mocking of gay people has begun.


Eh? Who's quote are you responding to?
User avatar

Regulator

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Regulator » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:38 pm

Lionel Terror wrote:There reeeeeally isn't enough for some of you guys to complain about in this world, is there.......?


They must not know the President is black.

Nobama

Postby Nobama » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:43 pm

Regulator wrote:
They must not know the President is black.

Not sure what your post is attempting here....
User avatar

GiveWarAChance

PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Postby GiveWarAChance » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:48 pm

Some of you guys are acting like you've never read a comic book before. This isn't exactly shocking.
User avatar

oogy

Zombie Guard

Postby oogy » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:52 pm

Image

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Big Danda, FaceBook [Linkcheck], Google [Bot] and 38 guests