Monday, September 26, 2016 • Afternoon Edition • "If you loved Hotel Rwanda, you'll love The Outhouse."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

This is Why We Make Fun of the Comics Industry

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

LOLtron

Rain Partier

Postby LOLtron » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:20 pm

This is Why We Make Fun of the Comics Industry

Shenanigans on Bleeding Cool's message boards involving a comic shop owner, a Marvel editor, and superstar writer Dan Slott validate our existence.



Source: Bleeding Cool

Sometimes, when readers first discover The Outhouse, they can be taken aback by the fact that we treat the comic book industry with disrespect and mockery, which is somewhat shocking when you're used to seeing the "big boy" websites like CBR and Newsarama verbally fellate the industry on a daily basis. To those people, let us point you to this article on Bleeding Cool, in which the comic book industry makes itself look more foolish than we ever could. It involves a comic shop owner, Bob Justice, who is critical of publisher marketing gimickry, Dan Slott, who is critical of anyone critical of Dan Slott, and Stephen Wacker, whose job at Marvel seems to consist solely of monitoring the internet for negative mentions of the company responding with laser-targeted disdain.

Go ahead, go read it, we're not going anywhere.

Folks, this is nothing new. It was an incident in which Mark Waid was (jokingly) phsyically threatening fans who called Wacker unprofessional on the now defunct Newsarama message boards in 2006 that got this reporter involved in the Internet Comics Community in the first place. Could you imagine if, on a Star Wars message board, you complained about Greedo shooting first and George Lucas showed up there and had a fifty page flame war with you and told you he was going to bang your mom? Could you imagine if you were complaining about Obamacare on a political website and Harry Reid appeared to tell you that the next person talking trash about the president would be drinking from a straw for the rest of his or her life?

No, that would be fucking insane. But in comics, it's PERFECTLY NORMAL.

That's why we love this industry. And it's why we profess that love through constant mockery.

Thank you, Dan Slott, Stephen Wacker, Bob Justice, and especially Rich Johnston (who would likely have showed up in the comments section here to whine about not being properly attributed if we didn't thank him too).

God damn, we love comics.



Written or Contributed by Jude Terror




READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!
User avatar

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:51 pm

OK, I'm sometimes critical of the humour level of the articles here, but I'm willing to give credit where credit is due when the humour hits in a good way -- congrats Jude.

:lol:
User avatar

habitual

Silly French Man

Postby habitual » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:52 pm

That James Bond emoticon was the shit!

Up yours Slott!

Hab
User avatar

Pink_Orchid

The Virgin Connie Swail

Postby Pink_Orchid » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:47 pm

That was great! :lol:
User avatar

Spektre

penile prisoner

Postby Spektre » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:33 pm

LOLtron wrote:Shenanigans on Bleeding Cool's message boards involving a comic shop owner, a Marvel editor, and superstar writer Dan Slott validate our existence.
Source: Bleeding Cool

Sometimes, when readers first discover The Outhouse, they can be taken aback by the fact that we treat the comic book industry with disrespect and mockery, which is somewhat shocking when you're used to seeing the "big boy" websites like CBR and Newsarama verbally fellate the industry on a daily basis. To those people, let us point you to this article on Bleeding Cool, in which the comic book industry makes itself look more foolish than we ever could. It involves a comic shop owner, Bob Justice, who is critical of publisher marketing gimickry, Dan Slott, who is critical of anyone critical of Dan Slott, and Stephen Wacker, whose job at Marvel seems to consist solely of monitoring the internet for negative mentions of the company responding with laser-targeted disdain. Go ahead, go read it, we're not going anywhere. Folks, this is nothing new. It was an incident in which Mark Waid was (jokingly) phsyically threatening fans who called Wacker unprofessional on the now defunct Newsarama message boards in 2006 that got this reporter involved in the Internet Comics Community in the first place. Could you imagine if, on a Star Wars message board, you complained about Greedo shooting first and George Lucas showed up there and had a fifty page flame war with you and told you he was going to bang your mom? Could you imagine if you were complaining about Obamacare on a political website and Harry Reid appeared to tell you that the next person talking trash about the president would be drinking from a straw for the rest of his or her life? No, that would be fucking insane. But in comics, it's PERFECTLY NORMAL. That's why we love this industry. And it's why we profess that love through constant mockery. Thank you, Dan Slott, Stephen Wacker, Bob Justice, and especially Rich Johnston (who would likely have showed up in the comments section here to whine about not being properly attributed if we didn't thank him too). God damn, we love comics.

Written or Contributed by Jude Terror
READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!


Come on Jude. Harry Reid would never physically threaten someone over Obamacare. The President send his Chicago thugs to do that!
User avatar

Herald

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby Herald » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:10 pm

Spektre wrote:
Come on Jude. Harry Reid would never physically threaten someone over Obamacare. The President send his Chicago thugs to do that!


"You make fun of ours on SNL, we make fun of yours on Colbert! That's the Chicago Way!!" :wink:
User avatar

superfictious

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby superfictious » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:39 pm

:lol: Yeah, I'm with Jude on this one. There's a level of unprofessionalism in the comics industry that I see nowhere else, from the top executives all the way down to interns and shop owners. And nobody has the common sense to keep their shit behind closed doors.
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:32 pm

superfictious wrote::lol: Yeah, I'm with Jude on this one. There's a level of unprofessionalism in the comics industry that I see nowhere else, from the top executives all the way down to interns and shop owners. And nobody has the common sense to keep their shit behind closed doors.


Even pro wrestlers for the most part know not to get involved with the fans in that way. :lol:
User avatar

Draco x

Fagorstorm

Postby Draco x » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:11 pm

Why does this sound like an episode of a reality tv show for some reason?
User avatar

StrongStyleFiction

Flying Mongoose

Postby StrongStyleFiction » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:44 pm

Are people whose brain never developed pass the age of fourteen the only ones allowed to work in the comic industry?

The Bass

Postby The Bass » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:56 am

God I wish I hadn't got banned from the BC forums
User avatar

Bianco

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby Bianco » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:45 am

Is it sad that I can name everyone in that photo including the boots in front of Race
User avatar

Rockman

Rain Partier

Postby Rockman » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:32 pm

I'm glad I got a mention....sort of :-D

Dan Slott classy as always. :groucho:
User avatar

holtom2000

dINGO

Postby holtom2000 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:00 pm

I miss some of those epic flame wars on Newsarama. Posting there on a Friday night was cheap entertainment!
User avatar

Bianco

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby Bianco » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:33 pm

holtom2000 wrote:I miss some of those epic flame wars on Newsarama. Posting there on a Friday night was cheap entertainment!


The Rob Liefeld rant threads always entertaining :smt026

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 89 guests