Advertisement

Thor: God of Thunder #11 (spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 409 posts
Title: Self Important

Thor: God of Thunder #11 (spoilers)

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:49 pm

Holy shit guys. So has Thor ever been this good? I mean I know the small bits I've read have been ok and I hear about the simonson run all the time but 11 perfect issues wrapped up into an amazing little package. Seriously this issue had too many amazing moments.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Advertisement

Star Lord
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 508 posts
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Re: Thor: God of Thunder #11 (spoilers)

Postby Star Lord » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:02 pm

Indeed one of the best Thor, no one of the best stories period that I have ever read! I plan on re-reading all 11 issues of this again tonight before I go to sleep!

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:26 pm

Yeah, Aaron did an amazing job here. How is this the same guy that wrote something so rough and real with Scalped and then so silly and fun with Wolverine and the X-men and yeah I'll say it. I liked Schism and AvX and then writes something just mind blowingly good in Thor. Oh yeah, he's just that good.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 255 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:36 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:Yeah, Aaron did an amazing job here. How is this the same guy that wrote something so rough and real with Scalped and then so silly and fun with Wolverine and the X-men and yeah I'll say it. I liked Schism and AvX and then writes something just mind blowingly good in Thor. Oh yeah, he's just that good.

was thinking the same thing. as a writer he has incredible depth.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:44 pm

I will also say that these 11 issues are better than Hawkeye and Daredevil put together.

- Les Paul

Star Lord
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 508 posts
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Postby Star Lord » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:53 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:I will also say that these 11 issues are better than Hawkeye and Daredevil put together.

Yeah Aaron is just amazing right now and goes from one end of the spectrum to the other with his writing! I sometimes can't believe it's the same guy writing all these different books. I also agree, and I love the Hawkeye and Daredevil books right now, but Thor: God of Thunder has been over it's first 11 issues, the best comic I have read over the last year.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:20 am

Agent Sasher wrote:
Yeah Aaron is just amazing right now and goes from one end of the spectrum to the other with his writing! I sometimes can't believe it's the same guy writing all these different books. I also agree, and I love the Hawkeye and Daredevil books right now, but Thor: God of Thunder has been over it's first 11 issues, the best comic I have read over the last year.

It's a good problem for marvel to have where almost every week we argue about what book is the best comic being published and the books being argued over are Marvel books.

- Les Paul

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 174 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:37 am

guitarsmashley wrote:I will also say that these 11 issues are better than Hawkeye and Daredevil put together.

Bro, I will also say that you're crazy, bro. Craaaaaaazy, bro.

But yeah, I mean fucking YEAH, Thor has been fantastic. It ain't Simonson great, but it's "miles and miles better than everybody not named Simonson" great. just an amazing, amazing first arc/two arcs. if Aaron keeps this up, it's gonna be the only real competition the Simonson run's ever had.

and it ain't just Aaron who killed it here...fucking Ribic, man...that shot of Thor pounding the two Mjolnirs together, then the 2-page spread of him unloading on Gorr. EPIC.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:48 am

chap22 wrote:Bro, I will also say that you're crazy, bro. Craaaaaaazy, bro.

But yeah, I mean fucking YEAH, Thor has been fantastic. It ain't Simonson great, but it's "miles and miles better than everybody not named Simonson" great. just an amazing, amazing first arc/two arcs. if Aaron keeps this up, it's gonna be the only real competition the Simonson run's ever had.

and it ain't just Aaron who killed it here...fucking Ribic, man...that shot of Thor pounding the two Mjolnirs together, then the 2-page spread of him unloading on Gorr. EPIC.

I hate the mans large painted posters but, his interiors are just gorgeous and erection inspiring. The double Hammer tap, the anticipation of unload and full on money shot. All just great.

- Les Paul

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:08 am

I didn't like any of the art on his Incredible Hulk, but Aaron hasn't written anything close to a bad comic has he?

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:26 am

Zero wrote:I didn't like any of the art on his Incredible Hulk, but Aaron hasn't written anything close to a bad comic has he?

His issues of Avx were by far the best of the series, Schism is probably the closest to a bad comic and I like it just fine.

- Les Paul

Jack Burton
biny little tird

Liked in: 42 posts

Postby Jack Burton » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:36 am

chap22 wrote:Bro, I will also say that you're crazy, bro. Craaaaaaazy, bro.

I agree with you here. After Simonson's Thor my favorite stuff was the Lee/Kirby run but if Aaron continues at this rate? Definite #2.

I wish comics had soundtracks because I think this one's would be epic. Half Wagner Half Metal all awesome.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 174 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:54 am

Zero wrote:I didn't like any of the art on his Incredible Hulk, but Aaron hasn't written anything close to a bad comic has he?

yes, Hulk was fucking awful on every level.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:00 am

chap22 wrote:yes, Hulk was fucking awful on every level.

It started out crazy good enough but, I did not finish it.

- Les Paul

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:13 am

Jason Aaron and Esad Ribic’s 11-issue ‘Godbutcher’ epic comes to an end with this issue, and wow, what an ending it is.

Gorr thinks he’s won, the Godbomb has been detonated and is reverberating throughout history, killing all Gods everywhere and everywhen. But of course, he doesn’t actually win, as Thor the Avenger is inside the bomb, and he’s wielding two fucking Mjolnirs and he saves the day. I know this sounds kind of basic, but just like with every other issue of this run, Jason Aaron’s amazing narration really kicks things up a gear. The way he describes everything in this story just makes these events feel truly epic, makes them feel God-sized. There were so many awesome moments in this issue, starting with Thor wielding both hammers. Then there’s the moment where Thor has absorbed Gorr’s power, the brilliantly-named ‘Necrosword’, where Thor is oozing that weird black stuff, and just looks intimidating as hell (Hel).

Of course, this comic is not just mad cosmic stuff exploding all around, Aaron grounds things in the characters. You get a really interesting final insight into who Gorr is, and the tragedy within his character, how in his desire to kill Gods, he became one himself. He’s a fascinating villain, and since I am personally an atheist, I can empathise with him somewhat. He just took it too far, and that’s what this story is all about really. Aaron doesn’t come down too much on one side or the other of the ‘are Gods necessary?’ debate, even Thor himself acknowledges that Gods should do better.

The other great character moments in this issue involve the 3 Thors interacting. It’s been a lot of fun seeing the different incarnations of the Thunder God running around in this story, but here, it’s more than just fun, and Aaron brings everything back around to Thor’s role as a hero, and how much he wants to prove himself to Odin. A character hook like that works really well in making the character relateable, even if he is ‘the greatest God who ever lived’.

It was also cool how Aaron brought everything back full circle to the opening scene of #1, where the little alien girl prays for Thor because she doesn’t have any Gods of her own. Now she does, and this epic story really does work as a standalone entity, which is all too rare in superhero comics.

Of course, Aaron’s run isn’t over, and it’s a little annoying that Thor won’t remember much of this, but I’m looking forward to seeing what he does next and if he can keep up the pace and scale of this long story. Esad Ribic’s artwork was once again excellent, his painted style really goes hand-in-hand with Aaron’s narrative tone in making this feel like an epic fantasy story, rather than a superhero tale. I love his style, and it’s perfect for Thor, I hope he sticks around, but if not, he’s done sterling work on this excellent story, and hell, it’s probably my favourite Thor story ever (although I haven’t read Simonson).

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand