Advertisement

Thor #13 *spoilers*

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 159 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Thor #13 *spoilers*

Postby habitual » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:25 pm

So this comic literally doesn't miss any beats.

Malekith's escape from Hel was written perfectly, the dark elf war party and the ascent out of the Nastrond was classic Thor.

Malekith has always been one of my favorite Thor villians, he's like Loki on crack.

My only real complaint with the first arc is that it was too long. After reading this I think I'm going to be disappointed there are only 4 issues left in it.

This is the best comic I've read this week Infinity included.

Hab

Advertisement

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 59 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Re: Thor #13 *spoilers*

Postby Zero » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:06 am

I could happily read another year-long saga if it's as enjoyable and epic as the last one.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:44 am

Jason Aaron begins his next big Thor storyline, and not only is it awesome, but it’s a great new jumping on point for new readers, especially people who check out Thor: The Dark World in the Cinema and want more of Thor going up against Malekith, as the leader of the Dark Elves is the villain in both the new movie, and this new arc.

In fact, the whole first half of this comic is devoted to Malekith, and a mission to rescue him from his imprisonment in Niffleheim. A squad of Dark Elves try and bust him out of a pit of snakes, and have to fight some giant spiders, which is pretty awesome, Aaron always brings the Heavy Metal fantasy to this book. In the end, Malekith is free, but of his rescuers, only the brilliantly-named Scumtongue has survived, and even then, he has had to cut off his own tongue and become ‘Scumtongue the tongueless’ which is even cooler. Malekith then proceeds to eat the hearts of the giant spiders. Even though I’m not that familiar with this particular villain, it’s still obvious he’s a bad dude.

We then cut to a far lighter scene, but still great stuff, as Thor enjoys a feast with The Warriors Three and Lady Sif. The dialogue between these characters is fantastic, and once again, it’s clever on Aaron’s part to use these characters, as they are fairly significant parts of the Thor movies, as well as being just plain awesome in their own rights. The feast, and relentless mockery of Volstagg (The Voluminous) is interrupted by a Dark Elf having a freak out, and sensing that his home, Svartalfheim, is burning.

The Warriors Of Asgard immediately head out to see what’s what, and what’s what is of course, Malekith, who upon discovering that the Dark Elf race has gone a bit soft in his absence, has slaughtered entire villages of women and children. As I said, a bad dude. Thor and the gang confront him, and whilst there is a bit of clunky exposition about who Malekith is (I didn’t mind it too much, as I personally needed it, but I imagine some Thor aficionados will have really disliked it), Malekith once again shows how dangerous he is, by dismembering an Elf right in front of our heroes. Thor manages to save her, by using Mjolnir to cauterize her stump, but Malekith has escaped, off to kill the rest of the Dark Elf people (on an awesome looking winged white tiger, as I said, Aaron can bring the metal, this whole book is like a 1970s album cover), and the chase is on.

This was a great first issue of what looks to be an exciting story, the villain is awesome, and as I said, it’s perfect for new readers coming in from the movies, the villain is the same, the supporting cast and sense of humour is there, and as an added bonus, this issue contains a map of the Nine Worlds, which is certainly useful.

The artwork for this arc comes from Ron Garney, who did some really good work with Aaron on Wolverine, and they continue that chemistry here. Garney’s style is not as painterly and epic as Ribic’s was, but it definitely suits this more traditional, superhero story. All in all, this was another great issue of Thor, and that rarest of beasts… a perfect opportunity for newbies. Get on it!

troysshr
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 413 posts
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Postby troysshr » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:24 pm

This book is in BEAST MODE!!

I have to say in all confidence that there has yet to be a bad issue of this comic, 13 issues into this run and it has been amazing month in and month out. Jason Aaron has become THE Thor writer as far as I am concerned and although it is not as mesmerizingly beautiful as Essad Ribics artwork, Ron Garney was no slouch with this issue! I loved the splash spread of the World Tree and the Nine Realms at the end of the issue, thinking that would make a helluva piece for my back tattoo!
ImageImageImage

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 311 posts

Postby Draco x » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:13 pm

Malekith has always been one of my favorite Thor enemies so I am glad to have him back.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand