Monday, October 23, 2017 • Midnight Edition • "We're so sorry, DC. Please take us back."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Today's Issue of Deadpool Costs More Than The Price of a Movie Ticket

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron

Rain Partier

Postby LOLtron » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:18 am

Why wait for Friday to pay an obscene amount of money for entertainment?

Deadpool hits theaters this Friday, so fans around the world have been saving up for months in order to afford an overpriced movie ticket, but Marvel Comics has thrown a last minute monkey wrench into the mix! Today's Deadpool #7, billed as a special 25th anniversary issue, will cost readers $9.99, more than the cost of a single movie ticket at many theaters. Will Deadpool fans need to choose: purchase a ticket to the film, buy the comic, or pay for that life-saving surgery for grandma? Maybe this is Ike Perlmutter's way of trying to sabotage Fox's film.

The price isn't too shocking for readers used to shelling out $4.99 for typical lackluster Marvel efforts, especially when considering this comic contains 81 pages of new material. However, it does illustrate one of the primary problems with the mainstream comic book industry today. Instead of releasing one or several Deadpool comics at an affordable price with hopes of hooking new readers, Marvel is more interested in producing an expensive "special" edition of their regular comic designed to capitalize on the addict collector mentality of existing readers and bilk them for more dollars than usual. In the short term, this results in more profit for Marvel. In the long term, it does nothing for sustainable growth in the industry.

But hey, if you've got money to burn, head down to your local comic shop today and pick up a copy of Deadpool #7. When Donald Trump wins the presidency, he's going to make us all rich anyway, and we can afford all the five and ten dollar comics we want, right? Right??

DPOOL2015007-DC11-fc8c1.jpgDPOOL2015007-int4-1-3454a.jpgDPOOL2015007-int4-2-aa897.jpgDPOOL2015007-int4-3-db715.jpgDPOOL2015007-int4-4-6171d.jpgDPOOL2015007-int4-5-41f4e.jpgDPOOL2015007-int4-6-cd83a.jpgDPOOL2015007-int4-7-62b98.jpgDPOOL2015007-int4-8-f2bb3.jpgDPOOL2015007-int4-9-7781e.jpgDPOOL2015007-SECRET-ac01d.jpgDPOOL2015007-int4-10-bc7de.jpgDPOOL2015007-DC51-8ad77.jpgDPOOL2015007-DC61-a2737.jpgDPOOL2015007-DC71-11638.jpgDPOOL2015007-DC81-dc967.jpg

Written or Contributed by Jude Terror

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Supersoldier Washout

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby Supersoldier Washout » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:24 am

Terror and Slapstick?
Why would anyone pay money for this?

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:43 am

Because they don't care that grandma needs that new hip ?

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:54 am

Supersoldier Washout wrote:Terror and Slapstick?

b/c Stingray.

crawley

Flying Mongoose

Postby crawley » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:53 am

My Deadpool ticket was $19. I appreciate the hyperbole, but it doesn't actually translate.

outsider

Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:56 am

crawley wrote:My Deadpool ticket was $19.
Did that come with a dime bag? :shock:

Eric Ratcliffe

Staff Writer

Postby Eric Ratcliffe » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:00 pm

Because the current Deadpool book is actually really good?

crawley

Flying Mongoose

Postby crawley » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:01 pm

Slapstick would work awesome as an Image comic. He should be the only superhuman inhabiting the world. Make it a fumetti and just draw him into the panels Roger Rabbit style.

If I could pitch Marvel, the first 2 words out of my mouth would be "Slapstick MAX"

DarthEwok

rubber spoon

Postby DarthEwok » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:07 pm

crawley wrote:My Deadpool ticket was $19. I appreciate the hyperbole, but it doesn't actually translate.

Yes, your willingness to pay too much for a movie ticket proves that this comic isn't expensive.

I just summed up the "logic" of your post. This is the kind of logic that comic fans use to discuss things on the Internet - and the type of logic that rational people here have to continually tolerate.

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:11 pm

$19 for a movie ticket ?! :shock: Well excuuuuse us, Mr Rockefeller. :P

Supersoldier Washout

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby Supersoldier Washout » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:12 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:$19 for a movie ticket ?! :shock: Well excuuuuse us, Mr Rockefeller. :P

And I thought the prices here in Chicago were insane!
:lol:

outsider

Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:12 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:$19 for a movie ticket ?! :shock: Well excuuuuse us, Mr Rockefeller. :P
I think we found one of those people that buy tickets to watch Dr. Who, Star Trek: TNG and the Met Opera in the movie theater. :lol:

crawley

Flying Mongoose

Postby crawley » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:48 pm

As you can see, I totally lied guys, it was only $18.90. And this movie theatre doesn't even have those fancy recliner la-z-boy seats. Poke fun all you want, that's what a god damn movie costs.

DarthEwok wrote:Yes, your willingness to pay too much for a movie ticket proves that this comic isn't expensive.

I just summed up the "logic" of your post. This is the kind of logic that comic fans use to discuss things on the Internet - and the type of logic that rational people here have to continually tolerate.

Whoa, slow your role, there, easy rider.

Logic of my post?

Logic - the science that investigates the principles governing correct or reliable inference.

Jude's inference was not reliable. Factually. I've even presented evidence.

Yes, I appreciate the exaggeration, I understand that comics cost too much. However, it does not LITERALLY translate.

Herald

Not a Kardashian

Postby Herald » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:52 pm

crawley wrote:Image

As you can see, I totally lied guys, it was only $18.90. And this movie theatre doesn't even have those fancy recliner la-z-boy seats. Poke fun all you want, that's what a god damn movie costs.

But you did go to a fancy IMAX theater, not a regular theater. So there IS a mitigating circumstance.

Poke poke poke! :smt102 :P

DarthEwok

rubber spoon

Postby DarthEwok » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:56 pm

crawley wrote:Image

Whoa, slow your role, there, easy rider.

Logic of my post?

Logic - the science that investigates the principles governing correct or reliable inference.

Jude's inference was not reliable. Factually. I've even presented evidence.

Yes, I appreciate the exaggeration, I understand that comics cost too much. However, it does not LITERALLY translate.

I go to matinees, and haven't paid more than $7 for a movie in years.

But I understand that your experience is the only one on earth. I suppose you can keep going on and on, and posting screen shots (LOL), about how Jude's headline was an exaggeration (provided you want IMAX, and to sit in a La-Z-Boy, so on, so on).

leave a comment with facebook