Advertisement

TWIP Marvel Now! Special 2

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

nietoperz
User avatar
The Goddamn Bat-min
 
Posts: 42847
Likes: 261 posts
Liked in: 232 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:36 pm
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Title: Forum Manager


Re: TWIP Marvel Now! Special 2

Postby nietoperz » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:52 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
For me, I don't even care about it. Doctor Spiderpuss is a bad guy. If he's willing to wipe out all life on earth, why wouldn't he be willing to get rapey with MJ? My problem is with the bullshit defense of it as "not rapey." Yes it is.


That, coupled with straw man #2, to whit: "Mind switches don't happen in real life, so it isn't comparable to rape." In other words, "this is fiction, therefore it doesn't matter how skeevy the story is, don't question, just sit back and accept."
Image

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Re: TWIP Marvel Now! Special 2

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:55 pm

nietoperz wrote:
That, coupled with straw man #2, to whit: "Mind switches don't happen in real life, so it isn't comparable to rape." In other words, "this is fiction, therefore it doesn't matter how skeevy the story is, don't question, just sit back and accept."


Yeah that argument doesn't hold water, of course the reader is supposed to imagine it as experiences the characters are having, not mythologically or something.

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34476
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 89 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Re: TWIP Marvel Now! Special 2

Postby Punchy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:17 pm

nietoperz wrote:
That, coupled with straw man #2, to whit: "Mind switches don't happen in real life, so it isn't comparable to rape." In other words, "this is fiction, therefore it doesn't matter how skeevy the story is, don't question, just sit back and accept."


I don't see how that's a straw man, when I've actually made that argument, I ain't made of straw!

Of course it's wrong for Superior Spidey to try and sleep with MJ, but to label it RAPE and write long op-eds about it is taking things too far in my opinion. Besides, it never actually happened, all of the cries of rape were based on supposition.

S.F. Jude Terror
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 76837
Likes: 578 posts
Liked in: 955 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:44 pm
Location: Up Your Ass
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror


Re: TWIP Marvel Now! Special 2

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:18 pm

Punchy wrote:
I don't see how that's a straw man, when I've actually made that argument, I ain't made of straw!

Of course it's wrong for Superior Spidey to try and sleep with MJ, but to label it RAPE and write long op-eds about it is taking things too far in my opinion. Besides, it never actually happened, all of the cries of rape were based on supposition.


You're assuming we're talking about penetration, I'm calling "rapey." He's not fucking her, but he was kissing her. That's rapey.
Image
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34476
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 89 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Re: TWIP Marvel Now! Special 2

Postby Punchy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:21 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
You're assuming we're talking about penetration, I'm calling "rapey." He's not fucking her, but he was kissing her. That's rapey.


Is it 'rapey' when a masked superhero kisses someone who doesn't know their identity?

Was it rapey when Spider-Man kissed MJ in the first movie, she didn't know he was Peter Parker, she didn''t want to be kissed by Peter Parker (yet)!

Was it rapey when Superman used to kiss Lois Lane, a woman who had no interest in Clark Kent?

nietoperz
User avatar
The Goddamn Bat-min
 
Posts: 42847
Likes: 261 posts
Liked in: 232 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:36 pm
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Title: Forum Manager


Re: TWIP Marvel Now! Special 2

Postby nietoperz » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:25 pm

That's entirely different, and you know it! :lol:
Image

S.F. Jude Terror
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 76837
Likes: 578 posts
Liked in: 955 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:44 pm
Location: Up Your Ass
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror


Re: TWIP Marvel Now! Special 2

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:26 pm

Punchy wrote:
Is it 'rapey' when a masked superhero kisses someone who doesn't know their identity?

Was it rapey when Spider-Man kissed MJ in the first movie, she didn't know he was Peter Parker, she didn''t want to be kissed by Peter Parker (yet)!

Was it rapey when Superman used to kiss Lois Lane, a woman who had no interest in Clark Kent?


Again... Mary Jane specifically had a relationship with Peter Parker. The only reason she would be kissing Spider-Man is that she believes he is Peter. But he is not Peter. Therefore Doc Spiderpuss is deceiving her in order to get the kiss, and it is rapey. Those other situations are different.

MJ didn't know who Spider-Man was in the first movie, and she wanted to kiss him fully aware of that.

Lois Lane had interest in kissing Superman, and Superman is Superman.

If Mary Jane found out she was kissing Doctor Octopus, she would be horrified and disgusted.
Image
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

superfictious
User avatar
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa
 
Posts: 10399
Likes: 86 posts
Liked in: 180 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:38 pm
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com


Re: TWIP Marvel Now! Special 2

Postby superfictious » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:28 pm

Is it rapey when you make out with a girl and feel her "special surprise" rubbing against your leg?

S.F. Jude Terror
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 76837
Likes: 578 posts
Liked in: 955 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:44 pm
Location: Up Your Ass
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror


Re: TWIP Marvel Now! Special 2

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:30 pm

False Prophet wrote:Is it rapey when you make out with a girl and feel her "special surprise" rubbing against your leg?


I would say so, yes. That's something girl should be up front about.
Image
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34476
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 89 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Re: TWIP Marvel Now! Special 2

Postby Punchy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:30 pm

nietoperz wrote:That's entirely different, and you know it! :lol:


Is it? Silver Age Lois pretty much hated Clark, but he pretends to be someone else and gets to kiss her.

I'm just saying, you label one ridiculous comics concept as rape, then how far down the rabbit-hole do you have to go?

Any superhero who kisses someone whilst wearing a mask is a RAPIST!

superfictious
User avatar
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa
 
Posts: 10399
Likes: 86 posts
Liked in: 180 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:38 pm
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com


Re: TWIP Marvel Now! Special 2

Postby superfictious » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:33 pm

Everyone acknowledges Silver Age Superman was a dick about crap like that.

And I doubt that cape-chasing whore Lois would've cared if she knew it were Clark.
Last edited by superfictious on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

S.F. Jude Terror
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 76837
Likes: 578 posts
Liked in: 955 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:44 pm
Location: Up Your Ass
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror


Re: TWIP Marvel Now! Special 2

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:34 pm

Times were different back then too.
Image
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

BlueStreak
User avatar
The Red Stands for Irony
 
Posts: 12262
Likes: 4 posts
Liked in: 29 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:06 pm
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak


Re: TWIP Marvel Now! Special 2

Postby BlueStreak » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:34 pm

Superman always has been a borderline rapist. There's a reason there's so many Elseworlds that involve Superman having a psychotic break and unleashing hell on the planet.
Image

superfictious
User avatar
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa
 
Posts: 10399
Likes: 86 posts
Liked in: 180 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:38 pm
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com


Re: TWIP Marvel Now! Special 2

Postby superfictious » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:36 pm

Superman 2 is the most famous retcon rape in the history of cinema.

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34476
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 89 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Re: TWIP Marvel Now! Special 2

Postby Punchy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:37 pm

Kwik Kwestion:

Were there calls of RAPE when Skrull Hank Pym slept with and impregnated Tigra in Avengers: The Initiative? Who then kept the baby!

Or do only Spider-Man fans get so melodramatic?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: NoctourneM, Yahoo [Bot] and 124 guests

Advertisement