Advertisement

Ultimate Comics X-Men #1 (Iceman has an iPad Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Ultimate Comics X-Men #1 (Iceman has an iPad Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:43 am

The final Ultimate Relaunch book is out, and it’s just as intriguing as the others. Spencer arguably has the toughest job of all the writers, as Ultimate X-Men was the book that was most messed-up and most in need of a relaunch. There’s a lot going on in this book, there’s the fact that Mutants are now more hunted than ever, there’s the revelation that Mutants were created by the US government, there’s whatever the hell it is that Quicksilver is up to, and then there’s Nick Fury’s involvement. As such, the issue moves pretty slowly, but I like what I’m seeing. I particularly loved Johnny Storm’s reaction to the big revelations, and how Spencer compared his desire to be a Mutant to white kids wanting to be black. I’m also interested to see what Spencer will do with Jimmy Hudson, he’s split off from Jean Grey’s Ultimate X team, but how long before he joins up with Kitty and everybody and becomes Wolverine? This book isn’t really about the X-Men, it’s about Mutantkind as a whole, and all the better for it. Paco Medina is a strange choice for this book, and he doesn’t really fit in with the other artists chosen for the Ultimate books, but he does a good job. Just like the other books this is a slow-starter, but it’s clearly quality. And man, that opening scene where the father kills his Mutant daughter is going to stay with me.

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand