Advertisement

Uncanny Avengers #10 (Gandhi didn't have the power Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 164 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Re: Uncanny Avengers #10 (Gandhi didn't have the power Spoil

Postby chap22 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:04 pm

Grayson wrote:
I love that book but I can't wait for Pacheco to take over as the artist.

seconded.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Advertisement

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:06 pm

chap22 wrote:huh. if anything his art is the weak link on that book IMMO.

Always been a fan of JRJr's art. And I feel like White's just adding depth and three dimensionality to his work. He seems like a pretty polarizing artist.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 164 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:18 pm

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:
Always been a fan of JRJr's art. And I feel like White's just adding depth and three dimensionality to his work. He seems like a pretty polarizing artist.

I have grown less and less enamored of his art since about the time of JMS's Spidey. I loved him back in the late 70s, 80s, and up into the 90s, but the blockier and more stylized his work has gotten over the years, the less I've liked it. the last thing I really liked him on was probably Hulk under Jenkins, and that was only a few issues.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 847 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:30 pm

The problem that I have with Romita Jr. and his current style is the same problem that I have with guys like Steve Dillon. I like their art but not when it comes to conventional, mainstream, superhero comics.
ImageImageImage

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:51 pm

Grayson wrote:The problem that I have with Romita Jr. and his current style is the same problem that I have with guys like Steve Dillon. I like their art but not when it comes to conventional, mainstream, superhero comics.

I would LOVE to see Romita's art outside of a superhero comic. I can't even imagine what that'd look like.

With Dillon, I already know: the same five faces over and over and over again.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 369 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:13 pm

chap22 wrote:I love the story Remender's telling. it's huge. it feels daunting. the heroes are already up to their necks in bad, bad shit and I don't know how they'll get out.

now if only plot was all that a story required...

because Jesus CHRIST the characterization and interpersonal dynamics in this book are so sophomoric and irritatingly grating that it makes the book a chore to read. Wanda and Havok's interaction this issue? cheesy. Rogue all of a sudden crushing on over-protective Thor...wut? and Rogue's general completely shrewy bitchiness to everyone else? blargh. the only thing that felt close to "real" was Jan and Cap's conversation (which even that verged on over-the-top) and Wolvy's description of Sunfire to Ozymandias. everything else was crap.

What Chap says here is absolutely correct. The overall story going on in this series is great, but the individual characters -- yeah WTF? It seems like every month I question whether or not I want to keep reading due to the horrible characterization. The desire to see where all of this is going and to see what happens keeps me coming back.

Thank you Troy for the sig

gurkle
Faster Pussycat

Liked in: 0 post

Postby gurkle » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:31 pm

I bought it for a while because I was glad to see Scarlet Witch back in an Avengers book after years of being the Marvel Punching Bag, but I just don't think it works. The basic plots are OK, but the arguments over mutant metaphors are really tone-deaf and long. (I feel like you have to be a really deft writer to pull this off, and the "don't call me a mutant" speech sounded a lot like a speech Peter David wrote much more deftly in X-Factor a couple of decades back.) Plus the whole thing of characters being jerks to each other is tiresome, and especially tiresome for the Witch, whose official MU characterization has gone from "crazy" to "potentially crazy and a self-hating mutant." (Adam Warren's little Scarlet Witch/Domino manga-style story the other month demonstrated that she's much better off in lighter stories where her confusing power set can be treated as a joke.)

Remender is trying some things that I kind of enjoy, like the bombastic narration captions (I wonder if he picked this up because he used to ink Avengers during the Kang Dynasty era) and the basic plots are OK, as I said, I just don't know if he was ready for a book this big... or maybe it's just that Marvel put the concept together too haphazardly to cash in on Avengers vs. X-Men. Anyway I hope either that they rotate in some characters who are really good at being jerks (Quicksilver?) or just drop the idea of everyone hating each other.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 274 posts

Postby Draco x » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:19 pm

Another good review from Punchy.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:24 pm

Grayson wrote:The problem that I have with Romita Jr. and his current style is the same problem that I have with guys like Steve Dillon. I like their art but not when it comes to conventional, mainstream, superhero comics.

That's an interesting point. I like Romita Jr. on Kick-Ass, somehow the imperfection of his lines and the untidiness complement the nature of the character. But on mainstream superhero titles sometimes he looks a bit too 'unfinished'...

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand