Advertisement

Uncanny Avengers #11 (I AM LIFE-IN-DEATH! Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Uncanny Avengers #11 (I AM LIFE-IN-DEATH! Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:44 pm

After a few issues that really knocked my socks off, this one was less good, but still a lot of fun.

I think my problem with this issue was that it started with a massive exposition dump from the Apocalypse Twins, as they explain their plans to Scarlet Witch. Now, a lot of this was useful, and it cleared up a lot of things about this title, as well as bringing in some very interesting parallels and links between the Twins and that other set of famous mutant twins, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver (and where the heck is Quicksilver, has be even been around during Marvel Now?), but I think it was too much all at once. It did bring back Red Skull into the mix though, which was good, and I do like how Remender has given this series two big villains, but they are directly opposed to each other, and the Unity Squad are caught in the middle of Mutant and Human extremes. It’s the point of this series made manifest, and it’s effective. It was also cool to see that town that Archangel blew up in Uncanny X-Force again. Hmm, maybe I did like this scene after all? I dunno, maybe I should plan these out before I just start rambling on. Naaah.

Anyways, the best scenes in this issue where the interactions between the Avengers and the Four Horsemen, the personal relationships between them made these scenes really crackle. Grim Reaper really attacked Wonder Man verbally, and Remender does his best to make sense of one of Bendis’ worse ideas when he turned Simon against the Avengers. The meeting between Wolverine and Daken was also fantastic and packed with emotions, and man, Horseman Sentry is fucked up and scary.

I also really loved the scene between Rogue and Sunfire, as their past is brought back up, and I felt Remender did a really good job at making Sunfire interesting to me, and making him more than just a pompous jerk. Remender has gotten a lot of stick for his characterisation in this book, but that scene showed he’s really good at it.

In the end, it looks like the Apocalypse Twins have won, they announce their plans to the world (and it was useful to see the other Avenger and X-men characters here, this title has felt a little bit disconnected from what’s going on elsewhere, apart from when Kitty Pryde lectured everyone) to perform the ‘Mutant Rapture’, and that Scarlet Witch is going to help them do it. It’s a good cliffhanger, but no way is Wanda really helping them.

Daniel Acuna’s art is once again strong, with an artist like him who is really quite divisive, it’s hard to know what to say, I like him, but for people who don’t, this ain’t gonna change their minds. But for me, you have to be impressed, he’s not only drawing this title, but he’s colouring it too, and every page looks great to me. It looks like next issue is going to be a Kang-focus, which should be cool, he’s a great villain, and his role in this story needs to come more to the fore in my view.

Advertisement

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 1 post
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Re: Uncanny Avengers #11 (I AM LIFE-IN-DEATH! Spoilers)

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:56 pm

I was super-happy with this. Last issue of Uncanny Avengers left me cold; too many fights, not enough plot. I felt that this one struck the proper balance. Also, knowing what the twins have planned helped the plot move along a big. It could have been a little of an exposition dump, though.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 618 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:31 pm

While I have never cared for Daken as a character I really have to hand it to Remender here, the conversation between Daken and his father was absolutely brilliant. In fact, as much as I have criticized Remender's characterization of this cast since the beginning of this series, I feel that he did a really good job with everybody in this issue even Rogue. Hopefully this is a sign that Remender has finally hit his stride and is listening to the fans when it comes to the way that these characters are being portrayed.

I am curious about what the Sentry was rattling on about during his encounter with Thor. If I read it correctly, he has been separated from the Void but now has somebody else in his head telling him what to do aside from the Apocalypse Twins. Curious who that could be. I assume it will be somebody that we have already seen like the Red Skull or Red Onslaught but it would be cool if it were somebody else.

Also, did I just completely miss him or was Banshee absent during this issue? Granted, there was a lot going on in this issue but it felt a little odd to have one of the Horsemen missing right in the middle of all the action.
ImageImageImage

Flynn the Pirate
OMCTO

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:40 pm

Grayson wrote:I am curious about what the Sentry was rattling on about during his encounter with Thor. If I read it correctly, he has been separated from the Void but now has somebody else in his head telling him what to do aside from the Apocalypse Twins. Curious who that could be. I assume it will be somebody that we have already seen like the Red Skull or Red Onslaught but it would be cool if it were somebody else.

Just thinking out loud here, but I seem to recall that Remender mentioned something about further exploring what exactly happened when old Warren/Archangel split from new Warren/Angel. Could it be that when Sentry was reformed as a Horseman of Death, that some element of Archangel merged with the empty space in Bob's head left by the Void?

Again, just thinking out loud...

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 618 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:50 pm

Flynn the Pirate wrote:Just thinking out loud here, but I seem to recall that Remender mentioned something about further exploring what exactly happened when old Warren/Archangel split from new Warren/Angel. Could it be that when Sentry was reformed as a Horseman of Death, that some element of Archangel merged with the empty space in Bob's head left by the Void?

Again, just thinking out loud...

That's a possibility. What I took away from the Dark Angel saga was the concept that the reason why Apocalypse (and Archangel) selected Horsemen, was to select an heir in case they could not finish the work that they had been tasked by the Celestials. Perhaps, unbeknownst to the Apocalypse Twins, the Sentry was selected by the Celestials to be that heir.
ImageImageImage

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 1 post
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:54 pm

Grayson wrote:
That's a possibility. What I took away from the Dark Angel saga was the concept that the reason why Apocalypse (and Archangel) selected Horsemen, was to select an heir in case they could not finish the work that they had been tasked by the Celestials. Perhaps, unbeknownst to the Apocalypse Twins, the Sentry was selected by the Celestials to be that heir.

That would make sense. Their mother did voice concern about potential problems.

I just understood that scene to mean that Sentry had more control over his actions than other Horsemen of Death. I'll reread it soon.

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 325 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:09 pm

The Death Seed is supposed to be almost an entire other "person" inside them... (Iceman just had the same thing happen to him in Astonishing)

As far as where Quicksilver has been, he was in the last issue of X-Factor checking in on his other sister.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 202 posts

Postby Draco x » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:34 pm

Well it did say at some point the Sentry would turn against his master so.....

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 287 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:31 pm

The Rogue/Sunfire scene was the best thing this issue.

Thank you Troy for the sig

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 133 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:55 pm

Stephen Day wrote:The Rogue/Sunfire scene was the best thing this issue.

Sunfire has been practically the only character I think Remender hasn't at least somewhat butchered in this book so far. his scenes have been great.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:14 pm

chap22 wrote:
Sunfire has been practically the only character I think Remender hasn't at least somewhat butchered in this book so far. his scenes have been great.

I'd agree with that.

His Rogue was much improved in that scene, it makes me hopeful that he's finally gotten a proper handle on writing her.

TS Punk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 281 posts
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Postby TS Punk » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:14 pm

I think there will be a lot more to deal with after this story line is done as far as the Sentry goes. It does seem that he has a lot more control over what he is doing right now instead of just blindly following what the Apocalypse Twins are telling him to do. I am very intrigued by this development as I was always a huge fan of the Sentry.

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 432 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:38 pm

It's interesting, I read in an interview that Remender wanted to use Ares instead of Sentry.

TS Punk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 281 posts
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Postby TS Punk » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:46 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:It's interesting, I read in an interview that Remender wanted to use Ares instead of Sentry.

I love Ares as well and hope to see him return someday but it wouldn't have made much sense here as it was Sentry that killed Ares not any of the Avengers or X-Men involved here.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:50 pm

Thunderstruck wrote:
I love Ares as well and hope to see him return someday but it wouldn't have made much sense here as it was Sentry that killed Ares not any of the Avengers or X-Men involved here.

I agree, I think Sentry fits in better in this story than Area would have.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand