Advertisement

Uncanny Avengers #18.NOW (Spoilers to come, be warned)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 72 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Uncanny Avengers #18.NOW (Spoilers to come, be warned)

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:48 pm

Hello, folks!

As always: No spoilers for the first day, but be careful what comes next -- I can't control it.

But I tend to come on here anymore simply to praise some of the best stuff (IMO, obviously) that I read on release day, so here I am, about Uncanny Avengers #18.NOW.

If you've been reading it and enjoying this series, don't stop now -- Chapter 1 of "Avenge the Earth" was effing good!

Rick Remender's got all the voices of these characters down, now, and he's killing this stuff! And while I'm not the biggest fan of Daniel Acuna around, I have to say, his art works nicely on Planet X!

Also: If you're looking for a jumping-on point, while there is some backstory that you will not entirely understand, this was a pretty decent effort at giving new readers a chance to jump on -- give it a shot, if you've been thinking about it. There's a ton of fun stuff in here!

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 104 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Re: Uncanny Avengers #18.NOW (Spoilers to come, be warned)

Postby Punchy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:33 pm

Where do you go after blowing up the entire world? Well, in Rick Remender’s case you jump forward 5 years or so to Planet X for an incredibly exciting issue that moves headlong into the next stage of this massive epic story. Although the fact that Remender has shaken things up so much that it’s now too obvious that everything will go back to normal, this is still a really great ride.

This issue takes place on Planet X, the new world that the Mutants went to after they were Raptured by the Scarlet Witch. Everyone seems to have pretty much accepted what’s happened, that the Earth deserved to go and tha the Mutants are better off without the humans. Everyone that is except the last remaining Avengers, who are Havok, Wasp and Beast. In this future, Havok and Wasp’s flirtatiousness has led to full-on love, and even marriage, and the daughter that we’ve seen Havok’s letters to in the last few issues is theirs. Wasp and the daughter, Katie are the only humans left in the world, and as such, they have to stay hidden.

In this issue, we see Havok and Wasp attempt to once again shut down the Tachyon dam, which will allow Immortus to finally get through and reset time back to before all of this went down. But they don’t have much luck, and are chased down by Magneto’s new X-Force, which basically seems to be the old Brotherhood Of Evil Mutants. Blob, Pyro, Toad, Avalanche etc. I liked the fact that Magneto (and his cool future-beard) wasn’t trying to stop Havok just because he’s working for Eimin, no, he’s doing this in memory of Wanda. He doesn’t want her death to have been in vain, which is a cool character detail. Of course, if Havok is allowed to succeed, it could mean Wanda had never died at all.

This issue is basically one big action-chase sequence, and it’s very good stuff. Daniel Acuna’s art has never looked better either, Planet X looks beautiful.

In the end, Havok is able to destroy the Tachyon Dam, but in the process, Wasp is captured by Magneto. Havok returns to his secret base, where Beast is looking after Katie. Beast reveals that even though the Dam has been destroyed, the day has not fully been won, as it’s still intact at the time period they want to go back to. The rules of time travel hurt my brain, but that kind of makes sense. But there is still a chance, as Immortus can come back to this moment, and help from here. Only when help does arrive, it’s not Immortus… it’s Kang. I know they’re the same person, but you know what I mean. Kang arrives with his new team, which includes not only Thor, but a bunch of the heroes we saw Immortus try and recruit before. Earth X Spider-Girl is there, Iron Man 2020, Stryfe, and some others I don’t recognise.

This was a great way to introduce us to the next stage, Remender doesn’t bog us down with exposition, instead we’re right in the moment with Havok and Wasp, and even though we know it’s all temporary, it does feel real. This series just gets better and better for me. I can’t wait to see how much crazier Remender will get.

Johnny Smith
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 179 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Postby Johnny Smith » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:02 pm

Punchy wrote:Where doKang arrives with his new team, which includes not only Thor, but a bunch of the heroes we saw Immortus try and recruit before. Earth X Spider-Girl is there, Iron Man 2020, Stryfe, and some others I don’t recognise.

They are: Kang, Thor, Ahab, Venom (May Parker of Earth X), Iron Man 2020, Doctor Doom 2099, Magistrate Elizabeth Braddock (from Remender's last Uncanny X-Force arc), Abomination Deathlok (new character from an Earth where all superhumans were converted into Deathloks and became a global police force), and Stryfe.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 104 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:55 pm

Johnny Smith wrote:
They are: Kang, Thor, Ahab, Venom (May Parker of Earth X), Iron Man 2020, Doctor Doom 2099, Magistrate Elizabeth Braddock (from Remender's last Uncanny X-Force arc), Abomination Deathlok (new character from an Earth where all superhumans were converted into Deathloks and became a global police force), and Stryfe.

Thanks, I thought that might have been the future Psylocke from UXF, but wasn't sure.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 429 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:23 pm

Glad to be moving on. The apocalypse twins story was really long and drawn out (enjoyable though). This one was fun.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand