Advertisement

Uncanny X-Force #20 (spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 0 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Re: Uncanny X-Force #20 (spoilers)

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:47 pm

The new solicit and upcoming Phil Noto artwork sound great, though, so I'll either ride this arc out and hope it's worth it in the end, or skip it and read it later if it sounded good.

Advertisement

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 17 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:04 pm

Rebis wrote:
I like the Cap't Britain UK comics that are impossible to find anymore and the Alan Moore Run, but after the first dozen or two issues of Excalibur V1 I don't know much about where the characters have been.

I love the two Captain Britain oversized HC's that came out this past year, that collect that stuff.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 5 posts

Postby doombug » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:39 pm

The way Brian was acting and the trial felt off, off in that way that there has to be something else going on here. It just didn't feel like the Cap we'd been getting the last few years when he was in the MI13. :smt102 But I think that was intentional and this will not only set up his return to the Avengers but the Corps ties into that book as well.

I found it interesting how much of a dick Crawler was being too. It was strong writing, especially when Wade of all people had enough of it.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:41 pm

doombug wrote:The way Brian was acting and the trial felt off, off in that way that there has to be something else going on here. It just didn't feel like the Cap we'd been getting the last few years when he was in the MI13. :smt102 But I think that was intentional and this will not only set up his return to the Avengers but the Corps ties into that book as well.

I found it interesting how much of a dick Crawler was being too. It was strong writing, especially when Wade of all people had enough of it.

It sounds like after this short arc he's had enough and is ready to do what he came to do, take out AoA Iceman.

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 6 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:46 pm

it makes sense for AoA Kurt to be a dick, look where he came from, everyone he knows is dead, he's not on his own world anymore. He stayed to take out the people from his world that stayed in the 616. He's not there to take 616 Kurt's place. He doesn't want to be friends with everyone, he just wants to get revenge..

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 5 posts

Postby doombug » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:45 pm

Rebis wrote:
It sounds like after this short arc he's had enough and is ready to do what he came to do, take out AoA Iceman.

Fine by me, though it will be interesting to see if he keeps this current persona about him or if he lightens up a bit by the end of the next few arcs.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:49 pm

doombug wrote:Fine by me, though it will be interesting to see if he keeps this current persona about him or if he lightens up a bit by the end of the next few arcs.

I hope he keeps his prick persona.

e_galston
Staff Writer

Postby e_galston » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:57 pm

i hope he stays the way he's being portrayed. Remember AoA Nightcrawler is NOT the same character. It would be stupid to pretty much butcher the character to make him a stand in for 616 Nightcrawler. In fact it brings more story potential keeping him the way he is currently portrayed. I look forward to interactions with characters who think he's their nightcrawler only to find out he's nothing like the nightcrawler they know.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:00 am

Holland Oats wrote:I loved the issue. I fucking love Otherworld and the Captain Britain Corps, as concepts.. so I'm biased.

The art was bad, but I kind of attribute it to the inking being so heavy.. I usually like Tocchini.

I took closer look at the issue, and was there any inking? No inker is credited (I wouldn't want to take credit for that job either!), I assumed this is another case of the bigger comics publishers trying to eliminate a paid inker and either converting the pencils or using one of the digital inking programs--either way, the end result was hideous and part of why White's colors seem off as well, I suspect, as he tried to accommodate the artwork he had to work with.

If Greg Tochini inked his own pencils and they came out looking like that, then he needs to re-think things.

It's very jarring to go from the artwork we've had on the book to a muddy purple sketchy mess.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 17 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:30 pm

I guess Tocchini did it.. but on the flipside, his other work with Remender.. Radical's The Last Days of American Crime from a few years ago, was gorgeous.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:45 pm

Holland Oats wrote:I guess Tocchini did it.. but on the flipside, his other work with Remender.. Radical's The Last Days of American Crime from a few years ago, was gorgeous.

It sure didn't look like this issue! I maintain something went wrong with the process if that was the end result. It looks like it was inked by a blind man and then handed off to a colorblind colorist who accidentally mixed his reds and blues and thought he'd discovered the sound of purple. I feel bad saying that about Dean White here, who has done such a superb job on the previous issues.

e_galston
Staff Writer

Postby e_galston » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:45 pm

the sound of purple/

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:50 pm

e_galston wrote:the sound of purple/

You've never tasted the sound of purple--with little dimples in it?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:42 am

Yeesh, Greg Tocchini’s art was a bit muddled here wasn’t it? I normally like his art, but this seemed really rather rushed. This was still a strong issue though, being British I of course am a fan of Captain Britain so it was great to seem him and related concepts like Otherworld and Saturnyne show up. The whole trial of Fantomex seems really odd though, don’t they know that Apocalypse is back alive and has been raised by Fantomex to be good? Or does that not matter? I suppose he did still kill the original kid. I think the best thing about this issue was the use of AoA Nightcrawler, and how Remender demonstrated perfectly how this is decidedly not the Nightcrawler we know. He’s darker, he doesn’t like being called Elf and to him, the likes of Sabretooth and Lady Deathstrike are friends, Iceman and Cyclops enemies. It’s very exciting to have a character like this in the book, who really brings something different to the table, and will illicit strong reactions wherever he goes and whoever he meets. Oh yeah, and it’s always good to see Deadpool get his head lopped off.

Timbales
Fisty McDigger

Title: Namaste, mother fucker
Formerly: timberoo

Postby Timbales » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:46 am

He's not our Nightcrawler, he's extreme!
However, Liefeld is an enigma wrapped in a pouch-filled, muscular, footless conundrum.
Written or Contributed by ThanosCopter

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand