Advertisement

Uncanny X-Force #20 (spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Re: Uncanny X-Force #20 (spoilers)

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:13 pm

I thought Remender should have done a better job introducing Saturnyne to those unfamiliar with the character. How did Fantomex know her, or did they meet the previous issue?

Advertisement

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 369 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:07 pm

Rebis wrote:I thought Remender should have done a better job introducing Saturnyne to those unfamiliar with the character. How did Fantomex know her, or did they meet the previous issue?

i think its one of those they met in the past off panel.. cause the last issue it was the "epilogue" for the last story line, and sending Warren and Genesis to the school.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 37 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:09 pm

According to wiki:

Fantomex is a superb marksman and has been seen using special "mutant-killing" bullets. They were designed by Sir James Braddock (the father of Psylocke and Captain Britain) and are unique because the bullets themselves appear to have distorted faces. He carries a variety of guns and other weapons.

I don't recall when this was revealed, but there's clearly a connection with the Braddocks.. so extending that to Otherworld isn't a big leap.

I would hope Remender will get into it more as the arc progresses.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:11 pm

Holland Oats wrote:According to wiki:

I don't recall when this was revealed, but there's clearly a connection with the Braddocks.. so extending that to Otherworld isn't a big leap.

That's a fairly bizarre connection given Fantomex's origins in The World and Cap't Britain's revelation about Fantomex not existing in any other dimension and his condemnation of him for that.

That's Marvel's wiki though, or just in general wikipedia? I ask because the latter isn't always totally reliable for comics info.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:26 pm

Rebis wrote:
That's a fairly bizarre connection given Fantomex's origins in The World and Cap't Britain's revelation about Fantomex not existing in any other dimension and his condemnation of him for that.

That's Marvel's wiki though, or just in general wikipedia? I ask because the latter isn't always totally reliable for comics info.

The latter, and there's no source link. And I'm pretty well-versed in Fantomex info.. I love the character. But I don't recall reading about any of that prior to the wiki. So yeah..

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 627 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:31 pm

Rebis wrote:I did not like. :-(

First off, the art was hideous. Not to my taste, to be sure, but also unclear and muddy in some panels to the point of being painful to decipher. Even Dean White's colors weren't up to his usual standard here, it looked like a rushed job, or maybe he just felt he had to approach the new artist's work differently. Either way, it was not great.

I felt the internal reasoning of the magic squad kidnapping Psylocke and sentencing Fantomex to death made no sense at all, in one sentence they speak of the evil of Apocalypse in dozens of realities and in the next they seem to downplay the threat as perceived by Fantomex. The abbreviated "trial" scene was just plain silly, and made me think the Captain Britain folks are either vastly incompetent or under some other's control.

When you add in magic and wizards and giant troll creatures that seem to be the type of threat the Otherworld overlords should have no trouble handling but they can't, and this may be a good jumping off point for me, at least for a little while.

Every part of this. It was really awful.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:31 pm

Holland Oats wrote:
The latter, and there's no source link. And I'm pretty well-versed in Fantomex info.. I love the character. But I don't recall reading about any of that prior to the wiki. So yeah..

Yeah, I'm not saying it isn't true, I'm just trying to figure out when that would have been both for the character's chronology and also which comics referenced it.

Interesting, if true. Someone would probably remember if the early issues in Remender's run mention this, I sold my run. :oops:

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:46 pm

Marvel seems to have the same info about him, so I guess chances are it's legit. Maybe it was revealed during his time under the heading Nation X:

Nation X

Fantomex hunts down a Predator X.
Added by Peteparker
Next encountering the X-Men after being hired by a young mutant boy to kill a Predator X, Fantomex is crucial in helping to subdue the New U-Men until they released a mutant fighting influenza HX-N1, forcing the X-Men to flee. Fantomex is later seen wooing Psylocke.

There's more appearances for him between New X-Men and Uncanny X-Force than I realized.

e_galston
Staff Writer

Postby e_galston » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:09 pm

yeah he appeared during Fractions run a bit...

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:14 pm

Next time I'm digging through my shortboxes to look for stuff to sell or trade, I'm going to pull my singles of Morrison's New X-Men and re-read them in sequence for fun. It's been years since I read them. I had a full run of Weapon X too, but I sold that for crazy money on eBay a couple years ago.

e_galston
Staff Writer

Postby e_galston » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:18 pm

what i don't understand about Betsy/Brian's dad making "mutant killing bullets" has he ever been shown as "hating mutants"

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:26 pm

e_galston wrote:what i don't understand about Betsy/Brian's dad making "mutant killing bullets" has he ever been shown as "hating mutants"

I guess his origins, having been germinated as a weapon using sentinel technology (that's never been really expanded on), and his desire to transcend his origins and designated purpose. I don't know why Sir James B would be wanting to kill mutants, but he could have been involved in the Weapon Plus program somehow.

I read where someone elsewhere was questioning this same tidbit of info on Fantomex and said he thought it might be related to old Excalibur issues by Ellis where Sir James B developed weapons later used on Genosha? I don't know anything about that personally, but they were speculating that Remender meant to connect his story to that.

Hopefully we will learn more about Fantomex in upcoming issues shortly, as each character is said to get their arc and this one is Fantomex's presumably. I know RR mentioned recently in an interview that one of Fantomex's 3 brains is dead now and it will be explored how that will affect "Charlie Cluster 7".

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:38 pm

Rebis wrote:
Yeah, I'm not saying it isn't true, I'm just trying to figure out when that would have been both for the character's chronology and also which comics referenced it.

Interesting, if true. Someone would probably remember if the early issues in Remender's run mention this, I sold my run. :oops:

I'm almost positive this isn't from Remender's run on UXF.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:39 pm

Rebis wrote:Next time I'm digging through my shortboxes to look for stuff to sell or trade, I'm going to pull my singles of Morrison's New X-Men and re-read them in sequence for fun. It's been years since I read them. I had a full run of Weapon X too, but I sold that for crazy money on eBay a couple years ago.

I have the New X-Men Omnibus.

I love it. Except the binding is shitty. So much gutter loss. Makes me want to get the new printing in the fall.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:44 pm

Holland Oats wrote:
I'm almost positive this isn't from Remender's run on UXF.

Me too.

Holland Oats wrote:
I have the New X-Men Omnibus.

I love it. Except the binding is shitty. So much gutter loss. Makes me want to get the new printing in the fall.

I bet, I do hate it when they make those gutters too tight though.

That was one of the first runs I read when I got back into comics, at least mainstream comics, after so many years because I liked most of Morrison's work up to then and was an X-Men reader as a kid.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand