Advertisement

Uncanny X-Men #544 (Defeatist luxury Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Shitlord

Uncanny X-Men #544 (Defeatist luxury Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:29 pm

I made a thread last week about how Cyclops is now the most interesting character in superhero comics, and this issue confirmed it, he’s just fascinating to me, in how much he’s changed, and how conflicted he is inside. This was a good send off to the first volume of Uncanny, and has me very excited for the new books. I loved the interaction between Scott and Iceman, I’ve often felt Bobby Drake has been underserved by most X-writers, so it’s great that he’s back in the forefront. Plus, as he said, he’s one of the Beatles. I must say that Hank was kind of a dick to Scott, I was on his side before, but there’s no need for the big blue dude to be such a douche. I was a bit confused by the stuff with Mister Sinister, why was he narrating about the X-Men’s history? Why did he kill himself for no real reason? I suppose this will all be explained in the new book, and at least we got to see a Summers family tree, but still… odd. Greg Land’s art is controversial we know, but he did a good job here, the double-page spread of X-History was wonderful, and I think his photo-realistic style really got across Scott’s half-smile at getting hit with a snowball.

Advertisement

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 7 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: Uncanny X-Men #544 (Defeatist luxury Spoilers)

Postby Grayson » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:05 pm

I agree with you Punchy, Hank really did come across as a giant asshole to Scott. We get it, you don't agree with Scott but why did you fly all the way to Utopia just to rub it in his face? It seems like everybody is parting pretty amicably but Hank just wants to hold a grudge.

As far as the Sinister thing is concerned...that was a little strange to me too. I know that this is a clone body that Sinister is in but I thought that the mind that occupies it is the original Mr. Sinister. To me, this read like Sinister is making new clones, testing them for flaws, fixing the flaws, breaking down the bodies, and then making an improved clone to repeat the process. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the new series.

Agent of the Bat
Outhouse World Champion

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Postby Agent of the Bat » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:08 pm

I so cannot wait to read this comic! Hopefully I can get it this weekend or sometime next week! I still need to read Regenesis as well!

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:41 pm

Hank McCoy has been an asshat for a while. I hope that when Sentinels attack the School, he's the first one to get disintigrated.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 7 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:56 pm

BlueStreak wrote:Hank McCoy has been an asshat for a while. I hope that when Sentinels attack the School, he's the first one to get disintigrated.

I wouldn't go that far but I would be willing to bet that Utopia will be one of the first places Hank will call when trouble comes knocking on the school's doorstep.

Frag
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz

Postby Frag » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:53 pm

Stupid ending to a series that has sucked for a few years now.

I'll only mention one thing, the closing line.

Scott: "I feel like I've finally graduated."

Hey dickhead. Nobody wanted to reopen the school cause you needed to take remedial Sentinel Killing 101. They wanted you to be a teacher or headmaster. You usually have graduated at that point.

I disagree with Punchy about this. Cyclops was one of my favorite characters. Now he's just awful. It started with the Emma Frost shit and then they just gave him her personality. I hope Jean comes back and lobotomizes him.

I also disagree about Hank. He didn't do anything. Scott walks up to him and says "what are you doing here?" It was an instant combative question. Then Hank responded calmly (but dickishly) and Scott goes into another "if it weren't for me, you'd all be dead" speech. He's sounding more like Magneto, but if there was a heel turn coming, it's gone on too long.
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.

Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby dairydead » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:58 pm

The President wrote:Stupid ending to a series that has sucked for a few years now.

I'll only mention one thing, the closing line.

Scott: "I feel like I've finally graduated."

Hey dickhead. Nobody wanted to reopen the school cause you needed to take remedial Sentinel Killing 101. They wanted you to be a teacher or headmaster. You usually have graduated at that point.

I disagree with Punchy about this. Cyclops was one of my favorite characters. Now he's just awful. It started with the Emma Frost shit and then they just gave him her personality. I hope Jean comes back and lobotomizes him.

I also disagree about Hank. He didn't do anything. Scott walks up to him and says "what are you doing here?" It was an instant combative question. Then Hank responded calmly (but dickishly) and Scott goes into another "if it weren't for me, you'd all be dead" speech. He's sounding more like Magneto, but if there was a heel turn coming, it's gone on too long.

i think its been a slow burn, but as far as the Marvel universe is concerned, i think he's either a villain at this point, or will be soon.
The Firelord to Hawk's Galactus

Frag
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz

Postby Frag » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:08 pm

dairydead wrote:i think its been a slow burn, but as far as the Marvel universe is concerned, i think he's either a villain at this point, or will be soon.

I'm ok with a slow burn, but with so many different creators, I don't think there is a plan to do it anymore.
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.

Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117

e_galston
Staff Writer

Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:09 pm

I kind of agree with what Hank said, Cyclops is always the one who never really gets anything done to him (except during schism). And Hank was the person who was captured by Osborn and thrown in the machine that powered Weapon Omega.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:30 pm

e_galston wrote:I kind of agree with what Hank said, Cyclops is always the one who never really gets anything done to him (except during schism). And Hank was the person who was captured by Osborn and thrown in the machine that powered Weapon Omega.

Yeah, but you just hate Cyclops.

e_galston
Staff Writer

Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:39 pm

Punchy wrote:
Yeah, but you just hate Cyclops.

uh no... when have i ever said i hate Cyclops, just because i side with logan, and think they are turning scott into a villain, doesn't mean i hate him.

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:53 pm

Cyclops is the hero the mutants need. Not the one they deserve. :P

No, but seriously, I can't wait for Beast to have to apologize for how dickish he's being. Cyclops begged him to stay with the team after Utopia. When Hank came back during Second Coming, all he did was blame Scott for everything. Like, y'know, future Sentinels attacking the X-Men. After his call to Scott in Regenesis to rub it in Cyclops' face (and there's no way Hank doesn't come off as a dick in that scene), I think it's about frickin' time Scott yelled back. I haven't read this issue yet but from everything I have read, Beast needs a serious attitude adjustment.

I can't wait until he finds out who is still running X-Force. :lol:

alaska1125
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:53 pm

Scott's team is basically the latest incarnation of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. Granted, that's always been a pretty lame name for a team, but it's true. Magneto, Emma Frost, the newest version of the Juggernaut and his sister, basically a demon...yeah, the fact that Scott is an enormous prick doesn't help matters either.

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby avengingtitan » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:54 pm

A decent story with truly awful art. Most of it just characters standing around posing for no reason. Most of them had no business even being there. Scott Proves once again why he's becoming one of the greatest villains in the Marvel Universe. Iceman was doing his best to get the prick to smile but just wasnt gonna happen. Love the Beast scene and I think we could have done without all the Sinister stuff but clearly no one could figure out how to fill the other half of the book.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

Zechs
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:51 am

SuperginraiX wrote:Cyclops is the hero the mutants need. Not the one they deserve. :P

No, but seriously, I can't wait for Beast to have to apologize for how dickish he's being. Cyclops begged him to stay with the team after Utopia. When Hank came back during Second Coming, all he did was blame Scott for everything. Like, y'know, future Sentinels attacking the X-Men. After his call to Scott in Regenesis to rub it in Cyclops' face (and there's no way Hank doesn't come off as a dick in that scene), I think it's about frickin' time Scott yelled back. I haven't read this issue yet but from everything I have read, Beast needs a serious attitude adjustment.

I can't wait until he finds out who is still running X-Force. :lol:

I really wonder who's gonna be the one to reveal X-Force and the fact Logan revived it. Will it be due to the battle with Archangel? Or will it be due to Magneto spilling the beans? Or will Hank be the one to find out? I hope it's the later because the face palm will be epic.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand