Advertisement

Uncanny X-Men #19 (Screw Dazzler and her crappy music Spoile

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Uncanny X-Men #19 (Screw Dazzler and her crappy music Spoile

Postby Punchy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:35 am

After last issue’s tight character focus on Cyclops, Brian Michael Bendis gets into plot-mode with this issue, as the long-simmering X-Men Vs SHIELD storyline bubbles over, at the same time as several other subplots reach interesting turning points. Whilst I loved last issue, it was great to get the big picture finally moving.

The issue opens up with 2 short scenes that, as I said, give 2 of this book’s subplots new impetus. The first sees the recently fired Hijack approached by Maria Hill and SHIELD, who demand that he tell them where Cyclops’ base is, but unfortunately, he has no idea. What I found most interesting here is the levels of paranoia that Hill has reached, how she thinks that Cyclops fired Hijack on purpose so she could find him as another level of manipulation. Everyone is playing everyone here, and at this point, it’s hard to guess why Scott Summers does anything. Hell, Maria Hill might not actually think this, it could just be a ploy to get Hijack to talk. This book is messing with my mind!

The other scene continues Mystique’s evil plans, as we finally discover what’s up with the original Dazzler. She’s not dead (hooray!) but she’s drugged up to her eyeballs, is blindfolded and, most crucially of all because of her powers, has her ears bunged up so she can’t hear any sound. Mystique explains to Sabretooth that she’s keeping her alive so she can use her to make the Mutant Growth Hormone that’s funding the takeover of Madripoor, and we actually see her get injected. This is all kinds of fucked up, I love it. Ever since Bendis’ run began, Mystique has been this crazy wildcard in the middle of Cyclops and Wolverine and SHIELD, and it’s great to see everyone keep overlooking her as her plans actually work out. When she finally does reveal herself… it’s going to be epic.

The main meat of the story involves Cyclops and his X-Men doing what they do best, going to meet a new Mutant and try and recruit them. There’s an interesting bit of tension between Cyclops and Tempus beforehand, it could be because of her crush on him, but more likely it’s due to whatever happened to Tempus when she time-travelled in #17. Just like with Mystique, when those details come out, it’s going to be great. The X-Men head to site of the new Cerebro spike, which is Chicago, but when they arrive, there’s no Mutant there, just a Sentinel who spits smaller Sentinels out of it’s mouth. We’ve seen this group of X-Men go up against Sentinels loads of times already, but this time, the evil robots have something new up their sleeves… they can stop mutant powers. Goldballs can’t use his balls, Magik can’t teleport them away, Cyclops can’t use his blasts.

Luckily, they can’t block everything, as Tempus is able to make a time-bubble, and Magik uses her sorcerer powers to create a massive flame dragon. Magik working with Doctor Strange has really paid off, and I liked how this issue used the same technique to depict the magic spells that Bendis used before when writing Strange in the Avengers. With the Sentinels destroyed, everyone has their powers back, but really, the X-Men lost here, as the good citizens of Chicago turn on them. The Sentinels are just as much a PR weapon as a physical one. Cyclops ends the issue by declaring war on whoever it is that’s been attacking them with the Sentinels, whether it’s SHIELD or not, he doesn’t care, he’s going after them. We of course know that the person behind these attacks is mysterious bubble-head man, and we see him again here, watching Cyclops, and tinkering with another Sentinel. I have no idea who this dude is, but I can’t wait to find out.

Chris Bachalo’s art was once again excellent, I love his unique layouts in action scenes, the page where Cyclops just went to town with his optic blasts were fantastic. And also, Goldballs has a costume! It’s great! This issue kick-started the conflict we’ve all been waiting for, Cyclops has declared war and shit just got real.

Advertisement

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 587 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: Uncanny X-Men #19 (Screw Dazzler and her crappy music Sp

Postby Grayson » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:53 am

Maria Hill repeatedly referring to Cyclops as a terrorist really bothered me in this issue. Every now and then you forget just how terrible of a character she is but you can always count on being reminded.
ImageImageImage

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 1 post
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Re: Uncanny X-Men #19 (Screw Dazzler and her crappy music Sp

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:45 pm

I thought about trying this issue, but Bachalo's art is such a turn-off to me. I just finished reading Spider-man: Shed on Marvel Unlimited and was grossed out that every character has a grumpy, wrinkled face and everything that isn't a human character is some permutation of a brick.

If Bachalo and Immonen switched books right now, that would be ideal for me.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand