Advertisement

Uncle Rich has a Legion rumor.

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 214 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Re: Uncle Rich has a Legion rumor.

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:41 pm

guitargod694 wrote:
Electric blue Superman disagrees.
And while it ended up working out fine, JLI was a pretty big deal, too. Since it took away almost all of the usual suspects for a Justice League roster.

Perhaps not reboots... but 'fuck with's to be sure.

Also, like you said, Legion has been published almost continuously for 40 years.
Other than you not liking what they do with it... what's your effing point?
If DC was trying to kill it off by ruining it... they could just do it.

"Comic book steadily loses readership over last 20 years despite efforts to re-invigorate the franchise" is hardly a headline unique to Legion....

Superman Blue was a storyline. A storyline that lasted a little too long, but a storyline no less.

If this was just me complaining about a book selling 50K-70K a month, that would be one thing. I might disagree with the direction, but it obviously was popular. But Legion is sold 16,460 or so copies for the latest figures. So something's obviously going wrong. Otherwise, they wouldn't be screwing with it the way it is.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Advertisement

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:51 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:I don't think the LOSH has moved away from its "core concepts" so much as the rest of the entire world has, and in the larger world of science fiction as well. People no longer extrapolate the same naive visions of the distant future as they did in the LOSH's pulp prime. It's an anachronism, losing relevancy more and more each day outside of a nostalgic few.

If there's problem with the Legion's future, it's that Levitz dosen't seem to have any grasp how to tell a modern SF story. The book still feels like an 80's vision of the future instead of a 21st century vision of the future.

I don't think Legion has an irrelevant vision of the future. I felt that last Star Trek film was able to present a modern SF story, yet stayed true to it's optimistic roots.

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:57 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:I keep reading this thread title as saying Rich has a lesion and a tumor, and I become momentarily concerned for him.

Appropriate, since a lot of people think of Uncle Rich as a cancer on the industry.

- Sons of the Desert

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 35 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:57 pm

The problem with the Legion of Superheroes is the same problem that most of DC's other failing properties have. There's no draw to the book.

In order for a comic book to succeed in today's market, it either needs A-list talent (or B-list talent on the rise) or A-list characters. The Legion is neither of those.

Under Mark Waid, a prolific writer writing what's arguably the best book on the stands, the Legion was a 30-40k title. Once Waid left, sales quickly tanked.

Until Levitz is gone from Legion and replaced by talent that today's market cares about, it will never exceed the 20k mark. It doesn't matter what the premise of the story is, it doesn't matter what iteration of characters the book is using, it doesn't matter how bright or dark the setting is. The Legion of Superheroes no longer has the draw to support a series without the help of topnotch talent.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:02 pm

dairydead wrote:
Ok. That has absolutely nothing to do with what i said. :smt102

So if a book's sales start tumbling following a major reboot then that doesn't mean the readers rejected the changes made?

- Sons of the Desert

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1170 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:07 pm

BlueMole wrote:The problem with the Legion of Superheroes is the same problem that most of DC's other failing properties have. There's no draw to the book.

In order for a comic book to succeed in today's market, it either needs A-list talent (or B-list talent on the rise) or A-list characters. The Legion is neither of those.

Under Mark Waid, a prolific writer writing what's arguably the best book on the stands, the Legion was a 30-40k title. Once Waid left, sales quickly tanked.

Until Levitz is gone from Legion and replaced by talent that today's market cares about, it will never exceed the 20k mark. It doesn't matter what the premise of the story is, it doesn't matter what iteration of characters the book is using, it doesn't matter how bright or dark the setting is. The Legion of Superheroes no longer has the draw to support a series without the help of topnotch talent.

I think we need to wait for Jeph Loeb and Greg Land to leave Marvel. Only they can save the Legion.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:08 pm

BlueMole wrote:The problem with the Legion of Superheroes is the same problem that most of DC's other failing properties have. There's no draw to the book.

Bingo. The Legion's concept isn't wrong. Levitz just isn't the right creator for the job anymore.

The same thing happened when Waid left. DC gave the book over to Shooter, which failed because his writing skills aren't what they were. Readers started going elsewhere, or turned to the abortion Johns was cooking up with his "classic Legion" knockoff.

- Sons of the Desert

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:10 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
I think we need to wait for Jeph Loeb and Greg Land to leave Marvel. Only they can save the Legion.

Hey, Loeb > Levitz right now.
Besides, despite all the crap at Marvel, Loeb still did a pretty good Superman.

- Sons of the Desert

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 238 posts

Postby dairydead » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:27 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
So if a book's sales start tumbling following a major reboot then that doesn't mean the readers rejected the changes made?

not categorically, no . not even close. That's still a huge assumption on your part.
The Firelord to Hawk's Galactus

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:39 pm

dairydead wrote:not categorically, no . not even close. That's still a huge assumption on your part.

It holds more water than your "you're assuming that the Legion ever "worked" comment."

Why don't you go do some actual research on Legion history, then come back.

- Sons of the Desert

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 553 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:56 pm

Jude should run a report and see how much server space we could reclaim if we shut down all these boooorriinnng endlessly repetitive go-nowhere Legion bitch-fest threads :lol:

Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 124 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:51 pm

Juan Cena wrote:

If there's problem with the Legion's future, it's that Levitz dosen't seem to have any grasp how to tell a modern SF story. The book still feels like an 80's vision of the future instead of a 21st century vision of the future.

I don't think Legion has an irrelevant vision of the future. I felt that last Star Trek film was able to present a modern SF story, yet stayed true to it's optimistic roots.

Or even before the 80s...

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:11 am

Arion wrote:
Or even before the 80s...

Perhaps. But either way, Levitz's 30th century seems barren of any of the kinds of SF concepts that have developed since the mid-80's. And he doesn't have a grasp of what's going on in the world of modern science and tech. And while he might be able to exploit the Legion's continuity, he's average at world building at best.

- Sons of the Desert

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:13 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:Jude should run a report and see how much server space we could reclaim if we shut down all these boooorriinnng endlessly repetitive go-nowhere Legion bitch-fest threads :lol:

The mods should just merge them all on sight. Then threadkick Nac.

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 46 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:35 pm

Zero wrote:
The mods should just merge them all on sight. Then threadkick Nac.

Nah, easer to tell people just do not go in the thread to bitch about a person thread.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand