Advertisement

Venom #22 (Tomorrow is a new day Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Venom #22 (Tomorrow is a new day Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:33 pm

Rick Remender’s final issue of Venom is just as good as the previous 21 and change have been, and it’s a fine way to bow out, focussing heavily on a fascinating central character and his inner demons. The plot here is simple, it’s Flash chasing down Jack O’Lantern one final time, but the thing that makes the story work is the narration from Flash and the, no pun intended, flashbacks to his childhood and how his father fucked him. These scenes were incredibly powerful, and you really feel for the character. I just can’t believe that Flash Thompson, the 1-dimensional bully from Stan Lee and Steve Ditko’s Spider-Man run has evolved into this, one of the most complex and interesting heroes in Marvel’s stables. It was a process that started before Remender, but he took the growth of the character, threw in a symbiote and against all odds, made a fantastic comic. I legitimately care what happens to Eugene Thompson now, and there aren’t many superheroes you can say that about, I like Batman, sure, but I don’t really care about his personal life as if he was real.

This issue was a summation really of everything this book has been about under Remender, a conflicted, deeply trouble man struggling with his past and the monsters both real and psychological within him. I’m sad to see Remender leave, but he’s going out on a high note, plus, he’ll still be writing the character in Secret Avengers, and the incoming Cullen Bunn has already demonstrated he can handle this book brilliantly in the previous arc. I’ve been praising this book for month’s now, and if you still haven’t been paying attention, this final Remender issue may ironically give you a great jumping-on point as to what Venom is about these days. If nothing else, the artwork from Declan Shalvey should appeal to everyone, but as I said, this was a great finale to a great run, well done Rick, now let’s see what Cullen has up his alien sleeves.

Advertisement

troysshr
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 445 posts
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Re: Venom #22 (Tomorrow is a new day Spoilers)

Postby troysshr » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:54 pm

Dammit, I knew there was something missing from my stack of comics!! I didn't get this today, now I gotta hope my sorry ass local comic shop can reorder me one for next week! SHIT FUCK DAMMIT!!
ImageImageImage

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 327 posts

Postby Draco x » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:37 pm

When I heard this was the last confronation between Flash and Jack, I finally thought that Flash was going to kill that annoying twit as he was just as expendable as his predecessors. Unfortunately, Flash decided not to kill the new Jack O Lantern which was a disappointment for me as there is a possibility that someone may bring him back for another story. With any luck, Jackass O Lantern will shanked in prison so that I can finally get my wish of him getting deep-sixed fulfilled.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 136 posts

Postby doombug » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:51 pm

I really really love the small retcon that they added into Flash's family life. It explains the bullying without excusing it and shows how he's become the character that he is today.

I'm really excited to see where Cullen takes things next.

George_Kaplan
rubber spoon

Liked in: 0 post

Postby George_Kaplan » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:50 am

Punchy wrote:he plot here is simple, it’s Flash chasing down Jack O’Lantern one final time, but the thing that makes the story work is the narration from Flash and the, no pun intended, flashbacks to his childhood and how his father fucked him.

Um..I haven't gotten the issue yet, but do you mean that literally? I mean, I knew Flash's dad was an abusive asshole but did Remender just reveal that he was a child molester as well?

MistaT
penile prisoner

Liked in: 8 posts
Title: ThreadKilla

Postby MistaT » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:55 am

draco x wrote:When I heard this was the last confronation between Flash and Jack, I finally thought that Flash was going to kill that annoying twit as he was just as expendable as his predecessors. Unfortunately, Flash decided not to kill the new Jack O Lantern which was a disappointment for me as there is a possibility that someone may bring him back for another story. With any luck, Jackass O Lantern will shanked in prison so that I can finally get my wish of him getting deep-sixed fulfilled.

I actually like the new Jack O Lantern, definitely the best one to wear the costume so far. I really like the candle in the hollowed out skull of his victims trademark that he does, its a nice touch.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 136 posts

Postby doombug » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:25 am

George_Kaplan wrote:Um..I haven't gotten the issue yet, but do you mean that literally? I mean, I knew Flash's dad was an abusive asshole but did Remender just reveal that he was a child molester as well?

it's obviously supposed to say fucked with him.

Flash's dad was an abusive prick but thankfully he didn't molest his son.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:13 am

George_Kaplan wrote:Um..I haven't gotten the issue yet, but do you mean that literally? I mean, I knew Flash's dad was an abusive asshole but did Remender just reveal that he was a child molester as well?

Oops, it's mean to say 'fucked him up'.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:59 pm

MistaT wrote:
I actually like the new Jack O Lantern, definitely the best one to wear the costume so far. I really like the candle in the hollowed out skull of his victims trademark that he does, its a nice touch.

In all fairness, he is more interesting than Macendale, Levins and Beck but I think Berkheart was the best incarnation myself. Overall, I could care less if I never saw the new Jack ever again or if another loser shows up to take his place.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:01 pm

doombug wrote:I really really love the small retcon that they added into Flash's family life. It explains the bullying without excusing it and shows how he's become the character that he is today.

I'm really excited to see where Cullen takes things next.

Actually it was always established that Flash's dad was an abusive drunk many years ago in the Spider books.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand