Advertisement

Well, That's certainly a Twist (Blue Beetle Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 438 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Well, That's certainly a Twist (Blue Beetle Spoilers)

Postby Stephen Day » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:54 pm

The biggest problem I've had with the current Blue Beetle series is that the story has seemed to be too much of a rehash of Jaime Reyes' first series which ended not too long ago. Well, that changed this weeks issue #5.

Paco, Jaime's best friend, was stabbed by Jaime's Blue Beetle suit last issue. This issue Jaime saves Paco by injecting him with a bit of his suit's Reach technology. This issue ends with Paco being possessed by that technology. The final page has him wearing a black and red version of Jaime's Blue Beetle armour and being sent out to kill Jaime. On top of this, La Dama tried to use magic to capture Jaime and his scarab -- definitely an ability I don't recall her showing in the previous series.

OK, at this point I have to say I'm reasonably happy. I've been enjoying this series despite my complaints about it. I'm willing to say with this issue that enough new things are being done that it doesn't feel like a rehash anymore. It took five issues to reach this point and I'll admit that I think it shouldn't have taken this long, but now that we are here, I'm pleased.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Advertisement

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Re: Well, That's certainly a Twist (Blue Beetle Spoilers)

Postby Stephen Day » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:33 pm

Bump

Benderbrau
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Proud Underachiever

Postby Benderbrau » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:37 pm

I haven't been following this but isn't it weird that Didio replaced all the new age heroes with there silver age predecessors except for Blue Beetle who was in some respects the least popular of the successors?
"Dude, I bow down to you, you are the worlds greatest ballbuster." -Jude Terror
"Sorry, nate! I think you automatically lose all arguments from now on, simply due to the fact that the only person willing to back you up is batshit insane!" - Dragavon
"Everything I know I learned from reading your posts." - Nietoperz

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1479 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:50 pm

Benderbrau wrote:I haven't been following this but isn't it weird that Didio replaced all the new age heroes with there silver age predecessors except for Blue Beetle who was in some respects the least popular of the successors?

Yeah, I do not understand why they erased Dan Garrett and Ted Kord. Bad enough they killed Ted but then they erased him from existence.

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 405 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:12 pm

Benderbrau wrote:I haven't been following this but isn't it weird that Didio replaced all the new age heroes with there silver age predecessors except for Blue Beetle who was in some respects the least popular of the successors?

Creator's Pet :wink:

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 405 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:15 pm

Stephen Day wrote:Paco, Jaime's best friend, was stabbed by Jaime's Blue Beetle suit last issue. This issue Jaime saves Paco by injecting him with a bit of his suit's Reach technology. This issue ends with Paco being possessed by that technology. The final page has him wearing a black and red version of Jaime's Blue Beetle armour and being sent out to kill Jaime. On top of this, La Dama tried to use magic to capture Jaime and his scarab -- definitely an ability I don't recall her showing in the previous series.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:19 pm

Herald wrote:

Benderbrau
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Proud Underachiever

Postby Benderbrau » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:37 pm

Herald wrote:
Creator's Pet :wink:

Wasted post. I have no plans to click on that
"Dude, I bow down to you, you are the worlds greatest ballbuster." -Jude Terror
"Sorry, nate! I think you automatically lose all arguments from now on, simply due to the fact that the only person willing to back you up is batshit insane!" - Dragavon
"Everything I know I learned from reading your posts." - Nietoperz

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 275 posts

Postby doombug » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:50 am

Jaime is a good character but honestly? The original version of the book under Rogers/Giffen and Sturgess was so much better than what Bedard has been doing. I'm sorry but it is.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:54 am

doombug wrote:Jaime is a good character but honestly? The original version of the book under Rogers/Giffen and Sturgess was so much better than what Bedard has been doing. I'm sorry but it is.

Oh, I'm not saying that the current book is better, I agree that it's not as good as the first series. It's just that I feel that if they were going to reboot the series that my preference is for them to do new stuff with Jaime. All I'm saying is that I'm glad that it seems like that is what is being done finally.

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:01 am

I actively disagree Stephen. I feel like you had one of the best supporting casts in comics and actually had a fun "teen" superhero book in that first volume of Blue Beetle.

Sadly Bedard or editorial have really fucked with that and destroyed what was so fun and original about the first book.

Plus I really feel like ignoring the legacy that Ted/Dan left behind that now doesn't exist kind of hurts Jaime as well.

Greg
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 7 posts
Title: AKA The Hidden Hands of Horror

Postby Greg » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:09 am

Jaime became a bit of a fan favorite in Brave and the Bold and showed up on Smallville and had a pilot type thing, no? Jaime has become more "popular" than his predecessor.
*Sig by Cat-Scratch!

CountD: Greg, thank you for your insights.
Benderbrau: Greg: Unwrapping the riddles of the black man since 2006

Starlord: I swear if you were gay and I wasn't married we'd make the perfect fuck buddies.

Greg: I'd do many things. Coke is not one of them.
Benderbrau: Greg hates all things white.

Benderbrau: Emma, you could learn a thing or two from Greg. Greg does threesomes. That's bi done right.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:11 am

doombug wrote:I actively disagree Stephen. I feel like you had one of the best supporting casts in comics and actually had a fun "teen" superhero book in that first volume of Blue Beetle.

Sadly Bedard or editorial have really fucked with that and destroyed what was so fun and original about the first book.

Plus I really feel like ignoring the legacy that Ted/Dan left behind that now doesn't exist kind of hurts Jaime as well.

I actually don't think we disagree as much as you think we do on this matter. I agree with your first point completely. I agree somewhat with your second point. With the current series, the fun teen book aspect of Blue Beetle has been fucked up, but I don't agree that it's been destroyed. I also fully agree with your third point.

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:56 am

and from a writing standpoint....this is lazy. i've been following tony's career for years. talked with the man for the first 11 issues of rebels, this isn't that caliber of writing. he's phoning it in and that bothers me a lot.

Marius665
Society Member

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Marius665 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:52 pm

I've never read either series with Jaime.

Maybe I'll pick up the first TPB's for both volumes.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand