Advertisement

Well, When You Put It That Way: This Week’s Hugo Controversy

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 202 posts

Postby LOLtron » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:36 pm

Can we all agree, fake or not, that "Vox Day" is a stupid name?

Source: Another Day, Another Hugo Controversy

[Last night in The Outhousers Writers Room]
[The below may or may not have actually happened, I’m not all that good at distinguishing reality from fantasy]
[Not that Jude is in a lot of my fantasies]
[Shut up!]

RU: I have to say, a lot of this internet outrage is getting pretty old. Not that the Teen Titans cover wasn’t awful, but, much like any kind of discourse in this country (and therefore the world), once people “pick a side” there really is no convincing them of any other POV.

Jude: Tell me about it. The other day I wrote a test algorithm based on past gender debates just to see how predictable the debate would be and after just a few modifications, it scored a 85.46%. That’s a solid B!

RU: Shouldn’t you have been doing work at work?

[Jude and RU laugh hysterically]

RU: Its just so boring nowadays, I wish some one would throw a firecracker at the internet comic book community just to change things up.

Jude: Didn’t Vince Coleman get in trouble for that in '93?

RU: Wow, a 20 year old baseball reference. That’s how we get the new comic book readers.

Sds: Ummmm, guys, you see this?

RU / Jude: DIBS!!

[RU throws a vegan chocodile out the door. Jude rushes after]

RU: RU WINS!

---

This Year’s Hugo Awards can’t seem to get away from putting their foot in one pile of shit or the other. First it was people complaining because Jonathan Ross (some sort of British comedian) volunteered to host the awards for free, something that really appeals to the Jew in me. Thankfully Ross was pulled from the show favor of, I don’t know, a Muppet farting rainbows? Who cares?

But now, whoa nelly, it's like the Hugos said to themselves:

Man with bad teeth #1: Hugos, we really haven’t done much for The Outhousers, how can we throw them a bone?

Man surviving on boiled cabbage: Misogyny?

Man with bad teeth #2: Been done to death.

Man surviving on boiled cabbage: Racism?

Man with bad teeth #1: done and done, my good man.

Man surviving on boiled cabbage: Anti-Semitic?

Men with bad teeth: Closer…

Ginger woman with 10,000 freckles: Is there any way we can combine all three?

Enter Vox Day (seriously, what a fucking stupid name), Hugo nominated writer for Best Novelette for Opera Vita Aeterna. I’m not going to go into everything BleedingCool did on Mr. Day, but wow – dude is the real deal.

Racist? Check :

If Americans can find the courage to consciously reject the myth of the melting pot and expel the Mexicans from the American Southwest, the Arabs from Detroit and the Somalis from Minneapolis, they can reclaim their traditional white Anglo-Saxon Protestant culture.

Misogynistic? Check:

I'm just curious what basis the moral relativists have for condemning rape in the first place. If I deem the slaking of my desire for lust - or violence, if you prefer that theory of rape - to be an intrinsic good, who are you to condemn it? Certainly, one could argue that it is a violation of private property rights, but then, what of those moral relativists who reject the notion of private property. If all property is held in common, then how can a woman object if I decide to make use of that which belongs to me?

Anti-Semitic? Check:

As for the myth of the American melting pot, it should suffice to point out that the idea was popularized by a Russian Jew who emigrated to England, never lived in the United States and was a fervent believer in the cause of establishing a Jewish homeland.

I must say, Hugo Awards, well done.

I haven’t read the story Vox is nominated for, and I’m not really planning on it. Not because of any boycott or whatever, but because I don’t care. But I will give the benefit of the doubt that it was worthy of being nominated, if only for purposes of this argument. Speaking of arguments:

In before the jackasses – THIS IS NOT A 1ST AMENDMENT ISSUE! I know that Vox’s fans or those that agree with him will try and turn this into some sort of free speech debate. It's not. No one has impeded Vox’s ability to say assholey things, be an asshole, or even publish his asshole blog. Free speech isn’t freedom from consequence. What the real question is: Should a person’s past, political beliefs, previous publications, or general personality disqualify their work from being recognized?

In all honesty, I don’t know. My knee-jerk reaction always seems to fall on the side of whether or not I agree with, condone, or care about what those previous violations were. That’s probably the human reaction anytime something like this happens. In a perfect world someone's work should stand on its own merits and not be beholden the creator's personal beliefs. On the other hand, fuck Mel Gibson.

For now, all I’ll say is that Vox Day (seriously, you’re a writer and this is the name you came up with?) appears to be a tool-bag of the highest order, but should that disqualify his work, Opera Vita Aeterna, from being recognized?

Discuss.

Written or Contributed by GHERU

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

achilles
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 142 posts
Title: Much Eviler Than GOSD!

Re: Well, When You Put It That Way: This Week’s Hugo Controv

Postby achilles » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:11 pm

Well, at least it's easy to remember... :smt102
Achilles is the kind of evil that hollows out a volcano for a lair, and sends killer robots after his enemies.---Lord Simian

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 208 posts

Postby GHERU » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:36 pm

achilles wrote:Well, at least it's easy to remember... :smt102

There's a guy at work with no vowels in his last name

I'm not a fan
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 105 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:01 pm

The fact that Vox Day and another writer supposedly had their supporters nominate themselves in ballot stuffing campaigns is probably even more douchy.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 105 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:03 pm

achilles wrote:Well, at least it's easy to remember... :smt102

His initials are interesting as well.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

S.F. Jude Terror likes this post.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 363 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:38 pm

Juan Cena wrote:The fact that Vox Day and another writer supposedly had their supporters nominate themselves in ballot stuffing campaigns is probably even more douchy.

I don't see how what Larry Correia did or this Vox person for that matter constitutes "ballot stuffing"

Author's in the past have asked their fans to support them in the awards on their blogs, is it suddenly a crime?

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 208 posts

Postby GHERU » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:58 pm

Rockman wrote:
I don't see how what Larry Correia did or this Vox person for that matter constitutes "ballot stuffing"

Author's in the past have asked their fans to support them in the awards on their blogs, is it suddenly a crime?

it is when we don't like the guy
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

2 people like this post.

uos spo6
Birdman

Liked in: 4 posts

Postby uos spo6 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:37 am

Im confused. Does Vox Day fall on April 22nd every year?

Is attempting to intellectualize bigotry a requisite of celebration or can I just buy some flowers and eat a cake or something?

2 people like this post.

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 306 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:40 pm

I worked in a library for years. One summer, I decided to read some sci-fi I might not otherwise have attempted. I decided to pick from the list of Hugo Award winners.

O... M... G.

The three I tried were the worst, most poorly written pieces of garbage I have EVER read in the genre. And that is saying something, because even before that I had read some steaming piles. But OMG.

At that point I decided the Hugo Awards were BS, and never tried one thereafter.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 363 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:41 pm

Chessack wrote:I worked in a library for years. One summer, I decided to read some sci-fi I might not otherwise have attempted. I decided to pick from the list of Hugo Award winners.

O... M... G.

The three I tried were the worst, most poorly written pieces of garbage I have EVER read in the genre. And that is saying something, because even before that I had read some steaming piles. But OMG.

At that point I decided the Hugo Awards were BS, and never tried one thereafter.

:lol:

jay042
A Quagmire

Liked in: 1 post

Postby jay042 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:32 pm

Chessack wrote:I worked in a library for years. One summer, I decided to read some sci-fi I might not otherwise have attempted. I decided to pick from the list of Hugo Award winners.

O... M... G.

Which ones did you look at?
(NSFW) Tales from the NAKED Jungle!

achilles
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 142 posts
Title: Much Eviler Than GOSD!

Postby achilles » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:29 pm

jay042 wrote:
Which ones did you look at?

This. Just so I know what to avoid. BTW, what did this VD person win for? First I ever heard of him, and yes, it it probably the stupidest pen name I've ever heard.
Achilles is the kind of evil that hollows out a volcano for a lair, and sends killer robots after his enemies.---Lord Simian

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 306 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:37 am

jay042 wrote:Which ones did you look at?

Wow... I have no idea. This was in high school in the 1980s. I honestly don't remember. I believe they were recent winners (80s or late 70s), not older ones.

jay042
A Quagmire

Liked in: 1 post

Postby jay042 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:47 pm

On the upside, the actual likelyhood of Teddy Boy actually getting the award is pretty low if histroy shows.

The Church of Scientology's publishing arm was trying real hard to promote L. Ron Hubbard's posthumously published series at the 1987 World Con in London. They had a number of events, and helped sponsor the con and hoped to cap off the PR blitz with a Best Novel hugo Award for Black Genesis. Already by then lots of people knew about the CoS and it's abuses, and the staff of the unfortunately named CONspiracy got a lot of flack over their percived close association.

When the Hugo voting was done, Black Genesis didn't have the Hugo, in fact the "No Award" category had more votes.
(NSFW) Tales from the NAKED Jungle!

Scintillant-H
Post Whore

Liked in: 79 posts
Title: Glitter Bitch
Formerly: Hal Shumaker

Postby Scintillant-H » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:59 am

I'd love to know just when rape is an "intrinsic good." Because, apparently, they have thought of this and have an answer... right?

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand