Advertisement

7/2 -- What Chappy read on his lunch break -- le Spoils!

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

zombiemichaeljackson
rubber spoon

Liked in: 0 post

Postby zombiemichaeljackson » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:22 pm

Vic Mackey wrote:all the details you want are in this link:
http://planetzor.blogspot.com/2007/10/b ... -arrh.html

Cool, thanks.

Advertisement

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby rdrsfn82 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:47 am

Vic Mackey wrote:all the details you want are in this link:
http://planetzor.blogspot.com/2007/10/b ... -arrh.html

Thanks for the link. That explained a good deal about that stuff.

3MJ

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby 3MJ » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:49 am

If anyone other than Morrison wrote these issues, they'd be getting bashed so hard.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 44 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:42 am

True, but Morrison has earned the trust that it'll all work out OK in the end. Well, he has for some people. Geoff Johns could pull it off too if he ever decided to write something vaguely controversial or trippy.

zombiemichaeljackson
rubber spoon

Liked in: 0 post

Postby zombiemichaeljackson » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:43 am

Twigglet wrote:If anyone other than Morrison wrote these issues, they'd be getting bashed so hard.

Absolutely, but I've been down this road with him before, and most of the time it ends up being worth it. If he didn't have the track record that he does I'd be much more worried. Besides, I really feel like most of the blame lies in the artwork and not the writing.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 162 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:46 am

like his vertigo kid eternity series. that REALLY made my head hurt and the artwork didnt help at all.

Mr. Batman

Postby Mr. Batman » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:54 am

Twigglet wrote:If anyone other than Morrison wrote these issues, they'd be getting bashed so hard.

This is fact. He's built up his record where you can only EXPECT for it to be worth it.

diana_fan

Postby diana_fan » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:01 am

But that's the thing: No one would write them. Morrison does his own thing, and either you're on board or you're not.

AFAIC, this is as good as it gets.

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby rdrsfn82 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:03 am

There are a handful of guys that can get away with this sort of thing. Alan Moore, PAD, Geoff Johns, and Neil Gaiman to name a few. If this was someone with a track record of doing bad stories or an unknown it would be bashed, but if it's a guy with a record of mostly doing good stuff they will get a pass until the arc is done.

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 163 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:10 pm

And I think most of the people around here are fairly objective. Not completely, but mostly. I love Morrison, so I can take the stinkers without throwing a hissy fit, but I can acknowledge he does make stinkers. RIP *so far* hasn't been one of them.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 131 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:30 pm

the thing with Batman : WTF, like the other Morrison stories that i've enjoyed, if i ignore all his crazy weird psychobabble-hopped-up-on-mescalin-and-peyote bullshit, and just read it as a plot (in this case, Batman & Co. get systematically torn down by smart planner with a whole managerie of back-up villains), it's a perfectly enjoyable story. it's just that he throws in all that other crap that his more sycophantic fans love that, while it does add a certain "depth" to the story, it also leads to plot holes, bad dialogue, ridiculous leaps in storytelling, and plots so overly-complex-sheerly-for-complexity's-sake that only the BEST artists (in terms of storytelling) can properly convey it on the page.

Daniel ain't one of those artists, and it's causing the cracks that are always inherent in Grant's stories to show more. it's still enjoyable, but it is by no means "fucking brilliant" or "as good as it gets".
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Spidey-Man

Postby Spidey-Man » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:33 pm

in this case, Batman & Co. get systematically torn down by smart planner with a whole managerie of back-up villains

Wasn't that Knightfall?

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 163 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:35 pm

chap22 wrote:it's a perfectly enjoyable story.

There. I just saved you an assload of keystrokes, you Faulkner wannabe. :P

diana_fan

Postby diana_fan » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:01 pm

chap22 wrote:the thing with Batman : WTF, like the other Morrison stories that i've enjoyed, if i ignore all his crazy weird psychobabble-hopped-up-on-mescalin-and-peyote bullshit, and just read it as a plot (in this case, Batman & Co. get systematically torn down by smart planner with a whole managerie of back-up villains), it's a perfectly enjoyable story. it's just that he throws in all that other crap that his more sycophantic fans love that, while it does add a certain "depth" to the story, it also leads to plot holes, bad dialogue, ridiculous leaps in storytelling, and plots so overly-complex-sheerly-for-complexity's-sake that only the BEST artists (in terms of storytelling) can properly convey it on the page.

Daniel ain't one of those artists, and it's causing the cracks that are always inherent in Grant's stories to show more. it's still enjoyable, but it is by no means "fucking brilliant" or "as good as it gets".

WRONG.

It's that simple. Wrong. It's an amazing story.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 48 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:44 pm

chap22 wrote:the thing with Batman : WTF, like the other Morrison stories that i've enjoyed, if i ignore all his crazy weird psychobabble-hopped-up-on-mescalin-and-peyote bullshit, and just read it as a plot (in this case, Batman & Co. get systematically torn down by smart planner with a whole managerie of back-up villains), it's a perfectly enjoyable story. it's just that he throws in all that other crap that his more sycophantic fans love that, while it does add a certain "depth" to the story, it also leads to plot holes, bad dialogue, ridiculous leaps in storytelling, and plots so overly-complex-sheerly-for-complexity's-sake that only the BEST artists (in terms of storytelling) can properly convey it on the page.

I agree, and I am totally disappointed by part 3 of RIP. This is basically The French Connection II, where Popeye gets kidnapped and doped up for three weeks. Only, Batman RIP skips a number of important scenes between issues 2 and 3, and leaves readers with an overly long drug section that's basically pointless. I am looking forward to see where this story is going, but so far it has been hit and miss. The first issue was okay, but nothing special as it set up the story. The second issue was awesome -- one of the best single issues I've read this year. And the third issue is a head-scratcher. I expect next issue to kick major ass, as things get worse before they get better for our masked heroes. But I hope the storytelling returns to a more conventional, straightforward style.
Last edited by Eli Katz on Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand