Advertisement

7/2 -- What Chappy read on his lunch break -- le Spoils!

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 171 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

7/2 -- What Chappy read on his lunch break -- le Spoils!

Postby chap22 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:54 pm

NIGHTWING 146 -- Tomasi's first arc wraps up in fine fashion, as Nightwing tracks Creighton to his lair, Talia is double-crossed, Nightwing whoops ass and saves Talia AND Mother of Champions, Creighton is rejuvenated (shades of the Vulture from the 90s) and 'Wing whoops him too, MoC says goodbye to her latest round of children, births one normal child and is given a choice, and some actual repercussions of the whole event are discussed by our hero and guest-star Superman (i thought this was a REALLY nice touch at the end); more great art from Kramer, more great character work from Tomasi, ulimate competence and confidence from Nightwing, some solid action, and more nice nods to Nightwing's history and extended "family"; i still have never seen a better single issue of this book than #25 by Dixon, but i will say this may already be the best arc this book has ever had; LOVED it

TRINITY 5 -- the battle with Konvikt finally wraps up and Graak escapes, WW and Bats steal most of the good moments this issue, but Supes gets some good bits too; in the backup, Jose finally dons the Gangbuster threads again, and takes out the 3 D-list villains we saw last issue, vowing to continue to protect Tarot; loved it

BATMAN 678 -- part 3 of Batman: W.T.F. continues along as usual...Bats has been doped up w/ crytal meth and heroin by the Black Glove and all his scenes have a fever dream quality as he makes a personal quest to rediscover "Batman" (i guess that's what happened...who the fuck knows with Morrison?); Nightwing gets beat up by a chick and put into Arkham after getting doped w/ thorazine, Robin's on the run, Alfred's still beat up, and Bat-Mite makes another appearance on the last page as Bruce dons the single ugliest costume ever, that of the Batman of Zur en Arrh; i understood maybe half of it, and i can't put my finger on why i'm enjoying this story, i just know that i finally am; loved it

so 3 for 3 on my lunchtime reading. in other good news, my LCS picked up a bunch more copies of Madame Xanadu #1 and finally got in my copy of Batman Confidential 17, so i picked those up today too in addition to the rest of my list. more reviews to come later!
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Advertisement

zombiemichaeljackson
rubber spoon

Liked in: 0 post

Re: 7/2 -- What Chappy read on his lunch break -- le Spoils!

Postby zombiemichaeljackson » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:44 pm

chap22 wrote:BATMAN 678 -- part 3 of Batman: W.T.F. continues along as usual...Bats has been doped up w/ crytal meth and heroin by the Black Glove and all his scenes have a fever dream quality as he makes a personal quest to rediscover "Batman" (i guess that's what happened...who the fuck knows with Morrison?); Nightwing gets beat up by a chick and put into Arkham after getting doped w/ thorazine, Robin's on the run, Alfred's still beat up, and Bat-Mite makes another appearance on the last page as Bruce dons the single ugliest costume ever, that of the Batman of Zur en Arrh; i understood maybe half of it, and i can't put my finger on why i'm enjoying this story, i just know that i finally am; loved it

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had no clue what the fuck was going on in this issue, although I think a lot of the confusion comes from the art and not the writing. He draws Dick and Tim almost exactly the same, and there were a couple points where I wasn't sure that Bruce was Bruce.

And yes, that costume is absolutely hideous.

I liked the issue, and I'm still curious to see where this is all going, but I still can't shake the feeling that it's more interesting than actually good.

Mr. Batman

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby Mr. Batman » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:14 pm

Yeah, Batman's kind of hard to follow for me too.

troysshr
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 426 posts
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Postby troysshr » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:23 pm

Mr. Batman wrote:Yeah, Batman's kind of hard to follow for me too.

Same here, between this and Final Crisis, Morrison has me bashing my own brains out trying to figure out what the hell is going on in his books. The writing was really awesome this issue but the art was not all that great. It was very confusing telling Dick and Tim apart and when Bruce was Bruce and so forth.
ImageImageImage

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Re: 7/2 -- What Chappy read on his lunch break -- le Spoils!

Postby superfictious » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:27 pm

twoheads wrote:I'm glad I'm not the only one who had no clue what the fuck was going on in this issue, although I think a lot of the confusion comes from the art and not the writing. He draws Dick and Tim almost exactly the same, and there were a couple points where I wasn't sure that Bruce was Bruce.

And yes, that costume is absolutely hideous.

I liked the issue, and I'm still curious to see where this is all going, but I still can't shake the feeling that it's more interesting than actually good.

That's the feeling I got from the preview, but I'm hoping things will fall in line when I read the whole issue. I can take not knowing about the baddies, but not being able to tell which character is which is annoying.

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 6 posts

Postby rdrsfn82 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:51 pm

Put me on the list of folks confused by Batman as well. I think most of the art was intentionally hard to follow, at least in the parts with Bruce, but I couldn't tell if that was Nightwing or Tim reading the diary until the writing made it clear later on. Overall I think I like the idea of the story but the execution seems to be purposely off putting and hard to follow. Reading this book is like being in Batman's head while confused and unsure of reality.

I'd also like to say that I really enjoyed Trinity as well. It was fun and everyone got a moment to shine. I'm loving the back up story and I really like the way the two connect together. The parts with Batman being Batman and Le Fey being shocked by it were awesome. I can't wait to see where this book goes.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 210 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:03 pm

i get morrison wants to use obscure parts of batman continuity but is it really necessary to just throw us in the deep and relying on the internet to get an idea of whats going on?

zombiemichaeljackson
rubber spoon

Liked in: 0 post

Postby zombiemichaeljackson » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:07 pm

Vic Mackey wrote:Image

i get morrison wants to use obscure parts of batman continuity but is it really necessary to just throw us in the deep and relying on the internet to get an idea of whats going on?

Holy crap! What issue/year is that from? Any chance at a plot synopsis?

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:12 pm

all the details you want are in this link:
http://planetzor.blogspot.com/2007/10/b ... -arrh.html

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby superfictious » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:24 pm

Anyone read Squadron Supreme?

Mr. Batman

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby Mr. Batman » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:38 pm

Vic Mackey wrote:Image

What an ugly costume....!

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:04 pm

Black_Kryptonian wrote:Anyone read Squadron Supreme?
yes

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby superfictious » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:18 pm

Vic Mackey wrote:yes

How was it?

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:25 pm

Black_Kryptonian wrote:How was it?
different. i read it 3 times yesterday and its definitely not the squadron supreme i remember. it seems that instead of ripping off the JLA they've gone on to their own marvel characters, they're totally different in both character and powers but you can definately draw the parallels quite easily. time seems a bit disjointed due to the 5yr gap between ultimate power and this, especially in regards to nick fury being a role model of sorts while he was arrested in UP.

since its a 5-issue mini i'll probably stick by it though. its interesting enough to at least do that much for me. a lot better writing from chaykin than on his guy gardner series 2 years ago and turino's art is nice, not all that but pleasant to the eye.

im not very good with reviews but i hope that helped you.

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby superfictious » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:29 pm

Vic Mackey wrote:different. i read it 3 times yesterday and its definitely not the squadron supreme i remember. it seems that instead of ripping off the JLA they've gone on to their own marvel characters, they're totally different in both character and powers but you can definately draw the parallels quite easily. time seems a bit disjointed due to the 5yr gap between ultimate power and this, especially in regards to nick fury being a role model of sorts while he was arrested in UP.

since its a 5-issue mini i'll probably stick by it though. its interesting enough to at least do that much for me. a lot better writing from chaykin than on his guy gardner series 2 years ago and turino's art is nice, not all that but pleasant to the eye.

im not very good with reviews but i hope that helped you.

Sure did. Thanks, VM.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand