Wednesday, November 14, 2018 • Morning Edition • "We're so sorry, DC. Please take us back."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:23 pm

Grayson wrote:
Well, I was 2 chapters into the first volume of the Hellboy Library Edition when I decided to give Saga a try. I really can't begin to say enough about how amazing the book itself is. I wish more books were collected like this. Other than that, I was just slowly making my way through the stack of books that I received for Christmas. I still have the second volume of Geoff Johns' Flash Omnibus and the New X-Men and Astonishing X-Men Omnibuses to tackle.

Keyword being "was." :P

Morrison's New X-Men and Whedon & Cassaday's Astonishing X-Men? That's great, GREAT stuff, some of my favorite X-Men runs.

What do you mean by "I wish more books were collected like this"? Every title published by Marvel, DC or Image these days gets collected faster than ever.

Grayson

Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:02 pm

Arion wrote:Morrison's New X-Men and Whedon & Cassaday's Astonishing X-Men? That's great, GREAT stuff, some of my favorite X-Men runs.

I know and I can't wait to reread them! I used to have all of the individual issues from both of these runs but unfortunately I made a really stupid decision and sold a lot of my comics several years ago. I have missed these books ever since so I was absolutely ecstatic when I opened them up on Christmas!

What do you mean by "I wish more books were collected like this"? Every title published by Marvel, DC or Image these days gets collected faster than ever.

I am talking about the actual book itself. The cover is unique and very stylish while the quality of the paper used is absolutely phenomenal. It's just a little bit smaller than one of DC's Absolute Editions allowing Dark Horse to center each page without risking the artwork spilling off the page or into the spine of the book.

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:20 am

The Hellboy and BPRD books are a very nice production in terms of paper and quality. The library editions look phenomenal but they also look heavy. As someone who reads in bed, I don't think I could handle that much weight on my chest.

Same goes for Omnibuses and Absolute Editions. People obviously read those sitting down and not in bed.

I recently sold all of my Hellboy and BPRD stuff because I was getting fed up with pacing in both series.

Astonishing X-Men is good stuff. I recently gave away my issues to my friend because she was on a Joss Whedon kick. New X-Men is the comic that got me into comics. It's ridiculously awesome.

I'm glad you're reading Saga and not Spider-Man :-D

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:50 am

Just finished volume 4 of Elephantmen. It was good but I fear that the series is falling into the trap where not much happens over the course of a lot of issues. Maybe it just feels slow. I didn't like the lack of a set artist in the opening issues but Axel Medellin really found his stride in the latter issues. This was a good read. I enjoyed the back matter a well.

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:14 pm

Grayson wrote:
I know and I can't wait to reread them! I used to have all of the individual issues from both of these runs but unfortunately I made a really stupid decision and sold a lot of my comics several years ago. I have missed these books ever since so I was absolutely ecstatic when I opened them up on Christmas!

I am talking about the actual book itself. The cover is unique and very stylish while the quality of the paper used is absolutely phenomenal. It's just a little bit smaller than one of DC's Absolute Editions allowing Dark Horse to center each page without risking the artwork spilling off the page or into the spine of the book.

I could never get rid off my comics . But I've lost a few in movings and so and the feeling is awful.

Oh, got it. I didn't know you were talking about the quality of the edition. Glad to hear it's so good.

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:08 am

Finished the fifth Elephantmen book. Enjoyed this on a lot more even though a bunch of characters died and my favorite character got his trunk cut of by crazy bitch. Was glad to see some resolve to the major storyline of War Toys well. The issue drawn by Shakey Kane was disturbing.

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:05 pm

Keb wrote:Finished the fifth Elephantmen book. Enjoyed this on a lot more even though a bunch of characters died and my favorite character got his trunk cut of by crazy bitch. Was glad to see some resolve to the major storyline of War Toys well. The issue drawn by Shakey Kane was disturbing.

Trunk ? Where did I hear that before ?

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:14 pm

Arion wrote:
Trunk ? Where did I hear that before ?

"He was hung like an elephant"?

Grayson

Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:37 pm

Keb wrote:The Hellboy and BPRD books are a very nice production in terms of paper and quality. The library editions look phenomenal

This is a big part of the reason why I want to get the Fear Agent Library Edition instead of simply picking up the trades or hunting down the single issues. From what I understand, it is collected the same as the Hellboy collections, which means that it will look really nice on the shelf next to my Hellboy book after I read them.

but they also look heavy. As someone who reads in bed, I don't think I could handle that much weight on my chest.

Same goes for Omnibuses and Absolute Editions. People obviously read those sitting down and not in bed.

I have noticed this problem too. When I try to read one of my larger books, I find that I'm constantly shifting positions and changing the way that I am sitting or laying in bed. I guess that is why it takes me so long to read one of them.

Astonishing X-Men is good stuff. I recently gave away my issues to my friend because she was on a Joss Whedon kick. New X-Men is the comic that got me into comics. It's ridiculously awesome.

When I told one of my friends that I got the New X-Men Omnibus for Christmas, he was less than impressed and even commented that he didn't think that it held up that well. I think he may have been dropped on his head recently. Reading New X-Men followed by Astonishing X-Men is just going to be over 60+ issues of absolute X-Men goodness that I can't wait to read back to back.

I'm glad you're reading Saga and not Spider-Man :-D

I'm glad that I am reading Saga too... :-D

...although I did read the first issue of Superior Spider-Man as well. :oops:

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:48 pm

:smt011

Grayson

Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:55 pm

Keb wrote::smt011

I had to give it one chance. It didn't change my opinion about the change or the direction of the book, so now I can drop it with a clear conscious knowing that I gave it an honest shot. :smt102

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:59 pm

I suppose so...

Grayson

Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:11 pm

Keb wrote:I suppose so...

If it makes you feel any better, I am looking into branching out into Atomic Robo or the Unwritten next...plus I still have to finish Irredeemable and start Incorruptible. :smt102

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:16 pm

I almost bought a bunch of Atomic Robo books yesterday. They were pretty cheap. I might go back and buy them this weekend.

Oh btw, I looked for that Fear Agent and came up short. :(

Grayson

Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:25 pm

Keb wrote:I almost bought a bunch of Atomic Robo books yesterday. They were pretty cheap. I might go back and buy them this weekend.

I have seen Atomic Robo in a couple of stores around my area but they are all full price still. If/when I start the series, I think that I'll just buy the first volume to see how much I like it and then go from there.

Oh btw, I looked for that Fear Agent and came up short. :(

I figured as much but it was still cool of you too look, so thanks! :-D

leave a comment with facebook