Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Arion » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:53 pm

Keb wrote:Rereading Miller DD. Finished the first Visionaries trade. The Roger McKenzie stuff is pretty fucking bland.

My Kirby Black Panther and Eternals books arrived in the mail so I might break from DD to read them. In the middle of Visionaries 2, which is the best stuff.

Roger McKenzie... doesn't ring any bells.

Advertisement

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 283 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:19 pm

Arion wrote:
Roger McKenzie... doesn't ring any bells.

He wrote DD when Miller first came on as penciller. Obviously he wasn't very good since most people don't know him that well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_McKenzie_(comics)

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:23 pm

Finished with the Miller DD Visionaries. I like the run but the third book feels like coming down from a good trip. The Elektra stuff is so good but the story that Miller caps the run with (featuring Stick and his boys vs. The Hand) is just really rushed and could have been stretched out a little. Thought the final issue was great though. This is definitely the definitive DD for me.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 37 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:24 pm

Now read Born Again.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:17 pm

Keb wrote:He wrote DD when Miller first came on as penciller. Obviously he wasn't very good since most people don't know him that well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_McKenzie_(comics)

He could be remembered like a bad writer... I don't know what's worse... that or not being remembered at all.

BatWatch
underclassman

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Surprisingly Delicious

Postby BatWatch » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:48 pm

What's Vector about?

I've been trying to catch up with recent Batman stories. I'm doing a blog now following current Batman news and such, but I've been out of the loop on recent stories because of college or some such nonsense, so anyway, I've been reading a lot of Morrison stuff. I just finished the main arch of Batman R.I.P., but I think I have one follow up issue to read. “What the Butler saw...” I think was the name. After that, I think I'll read Final Crisis.
For more news, reviews, and commentary for Batman and the entire Bat Family, check out BatWatch.net
http://www.BatWatch.net

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:38 pm

Chris wrote:Now read Born Again.

Don't tell me what to do fucker! :x

Nah I've read it a bunch of times. It's my favorite daredevil story and my favorite work by Frank Miller.

Finished Wonder Woman: Blood. Nice reboot for a really old character. It feels in every respect like an Azzarello comic. I liked the art but felt like it was sloppy at times. The gods were cool and I'm on board for the next story at least and until Azz finishes the title at most.

Also read Wolverine: Old Man Logan. It was a decent story and future time line stories are always fun. This one felt a little off though. I like Mark Millar but sometimes he gets a little too far ahead of himself. I felt like he did here with the smuggling storyline. He downplayed the death of the president and over emphasised Wolverine's return to being a killer/hero. I kind of felt like I was reading one of his own creations and not wolverine.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:32 am

BatWatch wrote:What's Vector about?

I've been trying to catch up with recent Batman stories. I'm doing a blog now following current Batman news and such, but I've been out of the loop on recent stories because of college or some such nonsense, so anyway, I've been reading a lot of Morrison stuff. I just finished the main arch of Batman R.I.P., but I think I have one follow up issue to read. “What the Butler saw...” I think was the name. After that, I think I'll read Final Crisis.

That's good, don't forget to include a link to your blog.

BatWatch
underclassman

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Surprisingly Delicious

Postby BatWatch » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:14 pm

Arion wrote:
That's good, don't forget to include a link to your blog.

It's in my signature. Any and all constructive feedback is appreciated. So far, I haven't heard anybody say anything negative about it, and it seems to be growing at a quick rate, so I'm pretty happy with it. :band
For more news, reviews, and commentary for Batman and the entire Bat Family, check out BatWatch.net
http://www.BatWatch.net

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 1 post

Postby covalesky » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:56 pm

BatWatch wrote:
It's in my signature. Any and all constructive feedback is appreciated. So far, I haven't heard anybody say anything negative about it, and it seems to be growing at a quick rate, so I'm pretty happy with it. :band

Post the link anyway. Some of us (me) don't see the signatures, and the ones that access via mobile don't either.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:51 pm

BatWatch wrote:

Ah, got it. I'll take a look at it . Don't forget to visit mine:

www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Stalzer2002
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 27 posts

Postby Stalzer2002 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:07 pm

So, back in October, I went to the Charity Art Auction at NYCC. Before the auction started, they had a slide show of all the stuff up for bidding. Most of it was recognizable stuff, from a Simonson full body Beta Ray Bill to a Mignola BPRD cover. But there was also a page featuring a cat in a suit. I had no idea what it was from, but it looked pretty cool, so I figured that I might bid on it if it was in my range. To the surprise of nearly everyone in the room, it wound up going for well over a thousand dollars, with only a handful of pieces going for more.

So, I had to find out what it was:

Blacksad by Juan Diaz Canales and Juanjo Guarnido

Great googly moogly, it is brilliant. It's a story of a mid 20th century private eye, something straight out the playbooks of Raymond Chandler and Dashiel Hammett. But the twist is that the characters are all anthropomorphic. It's much more than a gimmick because the animals are carefully chosen to fit their personality or role in the story, from a gorilla boxer to a rooster standing in for Senator Joseph McCarthy. Even single panel background characters like lemmings carrying signs about the end of world are richly detailed and full of personality. The color ranges from subdued to leaping off the page, depending on the scene. When it comes to art telling a story, Blacksad is second to none. Fantastic on every conceivable level, this is absolutely a must read.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:07 pm

I've been looking for a copy of that for a while. I think RU had it on his video review show some months back.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:13 pm

covalesky wrote:

Post the link anyway. Some of us (me) don't see the signatures, and the ones that access via mobile don't either.

Covalesky: Signature blind since 2012...

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:30 pm

I turn them off. They can be really annoying at times.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand