Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 1 post

Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby covalesky » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:09 pm

Finished Hell Yeah

Not what I expected. Not bad, not great either. entertaining enough.

Advertisement

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 107 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:35 pm

Keb wrote:I don't know. Why don't you write a letter to marvel and ask about that and cap's shield? :P:P

Yeah, I'll teach them how to do things properly. Those Marvel guys can't get anything right without me.

BatWatch
underclassman

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Surprisingly Delicious

Postby BatWatch » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:06 pm

Keb wrote:Final Crisis was such a let down. For all the hype it really didn't deliver.

May I recommend Seven Soldiers of Victory?

It is without a doubt Grant Morrison's finest post-Marvel DC work.

I'll add it to the pile. I always thought it looked interesting from all the promos I've seen in back issues. I didn't realize it was Morrison.
For more news, reviews, and commentary for Batman and the entire Bat Family, check out BatWatch.net
http://www.BatWatch.net

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 367 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:06 pm

It came out around the same time as Infinite Crisis/House of M and in my opinion went under the radar next to those projects.It's fun to read. If you can track down the single issues, the series becomes much more fun to read as you can start mixing up the read order because all seven titles intersect without the characters ever really interacting. Also, the Mister Miracle title ties into Final Crisis somehow.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:49 am

Secret Avengers by Rick Remender vol 1 - I like the tone of the comic with the darkness and covert shit going on but man this felt like an extension of Uncanny X-Force. Nice to see Hawkeye leading a team and there are some good characters here. I have to say I hated the twist with Ant-Man at the end as it was just too predictable. I also liked that some of the characters and ideas from Uncanny X-Force were transferred over to this title but there are just way too many factions of villains to keep tabs on in this Masters of Evil.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1075 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:50 pm

Finished The Sixth Gun Vol. 1 last night and I have to say, I didn't see the ending coming. The blend of wild west, horror, and supernatural themes continues to be an intriguing mix. Drake Sinclair is one interesting bastard and I am starting to suspect that there is a little more to Becky than we are originally led to believe. Honestly, I can't wait to read the next volume of the series but I am going to have to wait awhile before I can pick it up.
ImageImageImage

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:01 pm

covalesky wrote:Finished Hell Yeah

Not what I expected. Not bad, not great either. entertaining enough.

The only Keatinge comic I've read was Morbius # 1, and it was enjoyable.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 48 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:29 pm

I love Hell Yeah. And I love Glory. Morbius was just ok, but Joe Keatinge is on the rise.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:07 pm

The Sword vol 1: Fire - enjoyed this a lot. The story is pretty simple but still really enjoyable. The back sorry of the sword is pretty cool too. Looking forward to finishing it. The one thing I'm on the fence about is that the series really screams "adapt me into a movie!" Maybe that's just me.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:09 pm

Chris wrote:I love Hell Yeah. And I love Glory. Morbius was just ok, but Joe Keatinge is on the rise.

Well, that first issue of Morbius was quite good. So he's on my 'good' list.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 48 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:39 am

Keb wrote:The one thing I'm on the fence about is that the series really screams "adapt me into a movie!" Maybe that's just me.

Welcome to Luna Bros. Writing 101

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:34 am

I guess I'm okay with it. Most comics nowadays try to be more Hollywood inclined so one that is blatant about it doesn't bother me too much.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:58 pm

Chris wrote:Welcome to Luna Bros. Writing 101

I haven't read it . But I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with the idea of something written with the sole purpose of being translated into another medium...

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:46 am

^I don't think it's the sole purpose but whether or not it was written that way, the fact that it would be easy to adapt is pretty transparent.

Finished the second book and the series got a bit better. There are some elements to the book that I don't like, such as the personality of the villains. They all seem to have complexes that are pretty typical to villains in stories. In this book, Water, the demi-god-guy who controls water is an angry man scorned by the woman he loves (his sister, no less) and it's kinda obvious that he would be evil because of it. Each issue seems to build toward something, with the early issues focusing more on character growth and the latter issues being action. I liked that. I also enjoyed that the girl Dara is learning more about who her father was before he was her father. I'm curious to see where that element goes as the series progresses.

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 1 post

Postby covalesky » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:20 am

Keb wrote:^I don't think it's the sole purpose but whether or not it was written that way, the fact that it would be easy to adapt is pretty transparent.

Finished the second book and the series got a bit better. There are some elements to the book that I don't like, such as the personality of the villains. They all seem to have complexes that are pretty typical to villains in stories. In this book, Water, the demi-god-guy who controls water is an angry man scorned by the woman he loves (his sister, no less) and it's kinda obvious that he would be evil because of it. Each issue seems to build toward something, with the early issues focusing more on character growth and the latter issues being action. I liked that. I also enjoyed that the girl Dara is learning more about who her father was before he was her father. I'm curious to see where that element goes as the series progresses.

Luna brothers books are mediocre at best. That doesn't mean they're not entertaining. The Sword is good if you can shut down your brain while you're reading it. The last volume is the best IMHO.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand