Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

covalesky
User avatar
Expert Post Whore
 
Posts: 5290
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:48 am


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby covalesky » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:27 pm

GHERU wrote:About to finish Elephentmen Vol 1
interesting read, I like what it is setting up, but I am hoping for a more cohesive story in future volumes

recommended



This gets praise left and right. Maybe i should give it a go. What is it about?

Advertisement

GHERU
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 38359
Likes: 4 posts
Liked in: 9 posts
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:03 pm
Location: Fucking Akron


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby GHERU » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:38 pm

covalesky wrote:

This gets praise left and right. Maybe i should give it a go. What is it about?

so far, its about the post war lives of genetically designed animals who were created soley for the purpose of waging war. They walk on two legs and are ~a foot taller than humans, and now they are just trying to live their lives.

hard to explain
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:02 pm

Up to Preacher V7, 3 more to go.

Arion
User avatar
Twenty-Something
 
Posts: 17591
Likes: 1 post
Liked in: 7 posts
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:53 am
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Arion » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:27 pm

GHERU wrote:I hated Sebastian O
found it trite and trying too hard, same with Kill Your Boyfriend

but, you see hints of Morrison's eventual genius baried in both


I really liked both, there is a lot of homoerotic stuff in them.

GHERU
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 38359
Likes: 4 posts
Liked in: 9 posts
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:03 pm
Location: Fucking Akron


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby GHERU » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:16 am

Arion wrote:
I really liked both, there is a lot of homoerotic stuff in them.

Yea, but, IMO, all that was there more for shock value and "look how cool I am" than to move the story forward
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:34 am

GHERU wrote:Yea, but, IMO, all that was there more for shock value and "look how cool I am" than to move the story forward


I can't remember if I ever read Kill Your Boyfriend, but I would think that those themes would make perfect sense in Sebastian O, because historically the idea of the dandified or homosexual male was an offense to the social power structures in the Victorian Age, and could itself be cause for imprisonment (shades of Oscar Wilde). It's hard to imagine why those themes wouldn't be woven into the context of such a story, even if it weren't written by Morrison in the early '90s when he often used them in his stories in different ways.

Not a great story, though, just okay. I didn't really care that much about Sebastian O.
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Keb
User avatar
<( ' . ' )>
 
Posts: 39100
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: Right near de mountains, boy!
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Keb » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:43 am

covalesky wrote:This gets praise left and right. Maybe i should give it a go. What is it about?

Talking genetically engineered animals bred for war and now rehabilitated and living in LA 200 years in the future and shit.

Art is spectacular. Stories are solid as well. The progression is relatively slow but it's still enjoyable. In fact, pacing is my only big beef with the series. The collected editions look fantastic!

GHERU wrote:About to finish Elephentmen Vol 1
interesting read, I like what it is setting up, but I am hoping for a more cohesive story in future volumes

recommended

So you finally got around to reading it? Yeah the story builds up very slowly but Starkings has a really big map of everything that happened and how it all ties in together. The story moves in a way that it picks up threads continuously, similar to early issues of Invincible. If you are willing to stick with it, I would say read the 2nd and 3rd trades, then 0 (which is awesome and details the war) and then 4 and 5.

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:13 am

Man, volume 7 of Preacher just stalls out when he becomes sheriff. Haha, two pages after I type that the shadowy John Wayne figure shows up and tells Jesse he's "bin treadin' water".

No shit!

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34186
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Punchy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:15 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Man, volume 7 of Preacher just stalls out when he becomes sheriff. Haha, two pages after I type that the shadowy John Wayne figure shows up and tells Jesse he's "bin treadin' water".

No shit!


Is this the 'Salvation' arc?

It kind of pays off, with something really fucking disgusting.

Grayson
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 7252
Likes: 8 posts
Liked in: 6 posts
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:34 am
Location: The Darkest Timeline
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie


Online


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Grayson » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:35 pm

Just ordered the third volume of the Sixth Gun and it should be here by the middle of the week. I guess tonight I will finally get around to reading the Walking Dead Book 2 which is perfect timing for the mid-season premiere tomorrow night.

Image
ImageImageImage

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:59 pm

Punchy wrote:
Is this the 'Salvation' arc?

It kind of pays off, with something really fucking disgusting.


Yep, I figured he was porking the beef. It was pretty gross, especially as a vegetarian. (Worst thing about meat to me, though, is the smell of it cooking.) I did like the R Crumb-style Mr Magoo glasses the meatman wore even under his Klan robe.

But v7 wasn't my favorite volume, at any rate. You know he's gonna have to whack the meatman, and you know he's gotta get back to Tulip and Cass. To be honest, I find long-lost mother stories a little depressing.

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:15 pm

I see why I never made it through all of The Preacher before. Nine volumes to get to that? Grief.

You could cut about a third of that and not lose much, but still the pay-off for your dedication is slim pickens. (And not the dead actor, that would have been better.)

Jesse Custer and Tulip didn't seem any "realer" to me at the end than they did in volume one, they didn't grow on me at all as characters so their happy ending left me with the taste of meh in my mouth. I actually feel a little remorse at having spent so many hours this weekend reading the whole run.

Arion
User avatar
Twenty-Something
 
Posts: 17591
Likes: 1 post
Liked in: 7 posts
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:53 am
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Arion » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:42 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
I can't remember if I ever read Kill Your Boyfriend, but I would think that those themes would make perfect sense in Sebastian O, because historically the idea of the dandified or homosexual male was an offense to the social power structures in the Victorian Age, and could itself be cause for imprisonment (shades of Oscar Wilde). It's hard to imagine why those themes wouldn't be woven into the context of such a story, even if it weren't written by Morrison in the early '90s when he often used them in his stories in different ways.

Not a great story, though, just okay. I didn't really care that much about Sebastian O.


Yes, the figure of the homosexual was essential for the story.

And I sort of enjoyed how sex is used as a way to subvert the rules of society in Kill Your Boyfriend.

I invite everyone to read my reviews on both Morrison projects:

http://artbyarion.blogspot.com/2011/09/ ... rison.html

http://artbyarion.blogspot.com/2011/09/ ... rison.html

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:21 pm

Arion wrote:
Yes, the figure of the homosexual was essential for the story.

http://artbyarion.blogspot.com/2011/09/ ... rison.html


Yes, I can't even imagine the story making any sense any other way, which to me makes it essential, indeed.

KYB, I never read.

Arion
User avatar
Twenty-Something
 
Posts: 17591
Likes: 1 post
Liked in: 7 posts
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:53 am
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Arion » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:18 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
Yes, I can't even imagine the story making any sense any other way, which to me makes it essential, indeed.

KYB, I never read.


Glad to know you agree with me.
Did you like my review?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 55 guests

Advertisement