Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 48 posts

Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby misac » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:19 pm

Avengers vs X-Men: Consequences – “Villains it is.” 8)

Cyclops is the best! I was totally behind him throughout AvX and this just made me love him even more. Great burn on Wolverine! :lol:

Can’t believe Captain America allowed him to be imprisoned there, it worked out in the end though. That was some hardcore shit!

Advertisement

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 48 posts

Postby misac » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:20 pm

Keb wrote:So today I got a book in the mail (Hickman F4 v3) and that shit full out hand puncture marks in it. Took it to the store right away. Now I have to wait for the replacement.

I was going to read that but I was totally lost what I started. I think Fantastic Four v.5 comes before FF v.3. I would have checked but it was late and just went to sleep instead.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 601 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:17 pm

Should I pick up the first volume of The Massive if my LCS has a copy this week?
ImageImageImage

comicsareblood
Faster Pussycat

Liked in: 0 post

Postby comicsareblood » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:48 pm

This is a great thread.
There's SO much I need to buy.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 533 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:55 pm

comicsareblood wrote:This is a great thread.
There's SO much I need to buy.

Welcome to the Outhouse! Hope you survive the experience!
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 1 post

Postby covalesky » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:31 am

Grayson wrote:Should I pick up the first volume of The Massive if my LCS has a copy this week?

Yes, then review it for us here.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 141 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:45 am

So, I'm currently preparing a PhD proposal which involves Promethea and The Invisibles, so I'm re-reading those books right now. I'd forgotten how much I loved The Invisibles in particular.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 194 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:41 am

nietoperz wrote:So, I'm currently preparing a PhD proposal which involves Promethea and The Invisibles, so I'm re-reading those books right now. I'd forgotten how much I loved The Invisibles in particular.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

good luck

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:43 am

misac wrote:
I was going to read that but I was totally lost what I started. I think Fantastic Four v.5 comes before FF v.3. I would have checked but it was late and just went to sleep instead.

Yeah it's like Fantastic Four vols 1-4 then it becomes FF for vols 1-2, then it splits off in two with F4 vol 5 and FF vol 3 or something.

I bought F4 1-4 and FF 1-2 and will probably buy the rest later.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 92 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:23 am

Grayson wrote:Should I pick up the first volume of The Massive if my LCS has a copy this week?

A friend of mine bought the first 8 issues and I read them. I didn't like them. Why?

Because while the artist of the first arc wasn't anything special he still had some good moments, the current artist is kind of bad. Besides, the story is moving so slowly that gives a whole new meaning to the term 'decompression'.

Wood has put a lot of thought into the series, he has created a world with lots of thing in it, and that's good, but he hasn't worried about creating characters. So basically you get a book about interesting ideas and concepts regarding an alternate future and that's it. For a reader to feel engaged into the story you need characters, you need a certain level of emotion. Or else it just feels like you're reading an awfully boring academic paper. And believe me, in my university I've read so many of them that I got sick and bored to death of this kind of stuff.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:52 pm

Just finished re-reading Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E. for the thirteenth time. Always fun. I get a real kick out of Elsa Bloodstone's flashbacks to childhood.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 92 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:57 pm

nietoperz wrote:So, I'm currently preparing a PhD proposal which involves Promethea and The Invisibles, so I'm re-reading those books right now. I'd forgotten how much I loved The Invisibles in particular.

That's amazing, my university would never accept comics for a PhD proposal.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 141 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:10 pm

Keb wrote: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

good luck

Would you believe Promethea, The Invisibles, The Vampire Lestat and Buffy The Vampire Slayer? No guarantee I get accepted, but I've got a pretty good shot.

Either way, the Masters thesis I'm working on is about Sandman. 8)

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:22 pm

nietoperz wrote:
Would you believe Promethea, The Invisibles, The Vampire Lestat and Buffy The Vampire Slayer? No guarantee I get accepted, but I've got a pretty good shot.

Either way, the Masters thesis I'm working on is about Sandman. 8)

Promethea alone is pretty dense and full of stuff, so I don't see how anyone could pass it up. It's my favourite comic of all time ever. Invisibles is just as packed. I re-read it last fall but I didn't enjoy it as much. Kind of felt like I grew out of it.

We chatted about the Sandman thesis a year ago or so. I don't remember if it was here or Facebook. How is that going?

theflyingwaffle
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 10 posts

Postby theflyingwaffle » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:55 pm

I'm actually interested in picking up a new graphic novel or 2 (there is a small comic book store near my house). Any recommendations for me?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand