Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Arion
User avatar
Twenty-Something
 
Posts: 18228
Likes: 15 posts
Liked in: 96 posts
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:53 am
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Arion » Mon May 20, 2013 11:51 am

Keb wrote:It's good classic Marvel. This, Miller's Daredevil and Simonson's Thor are all in the same vein. Character-driven sagas that definethe history and set building blocks for todays comics.

I have the Armor Wars trade (and the prologue) but I also queued up the entire Michelinie/Layton runs on unlimited.


I'm especially interested in it because I'm usually appealed by stories about alcoholism (either in books or films).

Advertisement

Keb
User avatar
<( ' . ' )>
 
Posts: 39906
Likes: 159 posts
Liked in: 294 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: Right near de mountains, boy!
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Keb » Mon May 20, 2013 9:39 pm

Arion wrote:
I'm especially interested in it because I'm usually appealed by stories about alcoholism (either in books or films).

Ever watch Rescue Me?

Keb
User avatar
<( ' . ' )>
 
Posts: 39906
Likes: 159 posts
Liked in: 294 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: Right near de mountains, boy!
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Keb » Mon May 20, 2013 9:46 pm

Secret Warriors vol 2: God of Fear, God of War by Hickman, Vitti and McGuinness

Still a good story but it feels a bit like a slow crawl now. Prefer Casselli over this artist too. Good build up but I didn't really like the last issue. Felt weird. The Dark Reign List story was really cool.

Keb
User avatar
<( ' . ' )>
 
Posts: 39906
Likes: 159 posts
Liked in: 294 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: Right near de mountains, boy!
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Keb » Tue May 21, 2013 6:56 am

Secret Warriors vol. 3: Wake the Beast by Hickman & Caselli

Basically this keeps the pace of the first two books going. In typical Hickman fashion, this build up to something big. I kind of wish something would happen that in some way significantly advances the plot. This one delved into secret histories and introduced us to the Soviet equivalent of SHIELD and Hydra. Art is still great and of the things I consistently like about this book.

Arion
User avatar
Twenty-Something
 
Posts: 18228
Likes: 15 posts
Liked in: 96 posts
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:53 am
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Arion » Tue May 21, 2013 12:15 pm

Guys, in case someone missed my post yesterday I've started a campaign in Indiegogo
Image

So feel free to check it out: http://igg.me/p/413732/x/3203177

Grayson
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 8319
Likes: 461 posts
Liked in: 852 posts
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:34 am
Location: The Darkest Timeline
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Grayson » Sun May 26, 2013 12:18 pm

Image


Young Avengers Vol. 1: Sidekicks - Got my hands on a copy of the first hardcover of Young Avengers last night. I remember liking it when I first read it but honestly, I had forgotten how much I liked it. Heinberg really did a great job creating interesting new characters for the Marvel Universe, especially Kate Bishop, who easily steals the spotlight in this book. Even though Iron Lad was only around for the first six issues of this series and the Children's Crusade mini, it's hard to think about Kang the Conqueror anymore without thinking about Iron Lad as well. With Kang playing such an important part in Uncanny Avengers, I would if we will hear anymore from Iron Lad as well.

Cheung art's is gorgeous as always. Too bad he doesn't work faster because I would love to see him working on a high profile, on-going series like Uncanny Avengers.
ImageImageImage

theflyingwaffle
User avatar
Mad Hatter
 
Posts: 286
Likes: 3 posts
Liked in: 12 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:01 am


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby theflyingwaffle » Sun May 26, 2013 9:29 pm

I just finished reading "The Bean: Riddles and Shrooms" by Thomas Hanson. I met him at Phoenix Comicon yesterday. He was a real nice guy, and a pretty awesome artist. "The Bean" reminds me a lot of Jeff Smith's "Bone", which is awesome since "Bone" is one of my favorite graphic novel series of all time.

I also picked up a few other trade while at the con. "Criminal Macabre: No Peace for Dead Men", "Grimm Fairy Tales Presents: The Jungle Book Vol. 1" and "Grimm Fairy Tales Presents: Robyn Hood Vol 1". I got to meet Christopher Mitten the artist of "Criminal Macabre", as well as both the artist and writer of "Robyn Hood". All were really nice guys.

As an unrelated note, I would like to say that Mike Mignola, the creator of Hellboy was kind of a jerk. I don't know if he just has a big head or something, but he came across as extremely arrogant. I could have got an autographed print by him, but I decided not to just because of his attitude. Kind of a shame because I like Hellboy a lot.

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon May 27, 2013 1:39 pm

Arion wrote:Guys, in case someone missed my post yesterday I've started a campaign in Indiegogo
Image

So feel free to check it out: http://igg.me/p/413732/x/3203177


Who's your lead person to promote your campaign? This isn't meant to sound discouraging, but it seems like someone needs to be doing the full-time job of promotion that most successful campaigns require. Crowd-funding sites typically don't do much if anything to help on that end, but you need to have a very large crowd of motivated people to succeed with a campaign like this one.

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon May 27, 2013 1:47 pm

Read Cleveland by Harvey Pekar and Joseph Remnant. Joseph Remnant is really talented, and seemed like a nice guy when I met him. But I feel depressed now, Harvey Pekar always makes me feel crummy.

covalesky
User avatar
Expert Post Whore
 
Posts: 5290
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 1 post
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:48 am


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby covalesky » Mon May 27, 2013 2:52 pm

Just started

Image

Arion
User avatar
Twenty-Something
 
Posts: 18228
Likes: 15 posts
Liked in: 96 posts
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:53 am
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Arion » Mon May 27, 2013 3:35 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
Who's your lead person to promote your campaign? This isn't meant to sound discouraging, but it seems like someone needs to be doing the full-time job of promotion that most successful campaigns require. Crowd-funding sites typically don't do much if anything to help on that end, but you need to have a very large crowd of motivated people to succeed with a campaign like this one.


I'm trying to do everything by myself, if it doesn't work then you'll be able to say "I told you so". But let's try to stay optimistic.

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon May 27, 2013 4:11 pm

Arion wrote:
I'm trying to do everything by myself, if it doesn't work then you'll be able to say "I told you so". But let's try to stay optimistic.


Argh, no that's not what I'm--I get plenty of shadenfreude, thank you. What I was hoping you'd say was that the other people involved in the book also had large online social groups to appeal to as well as yours!

Good luck! I'm over-pledged this week, but maybe before the end. Since we've been talking in other threads about crowd-funding and people being wary of projects that get only partial funding, what do you intend to do if you fall short of your goal by, say, half?

Arion
User avatar
Twenty-Something
 
Posts: 18228
Likes: 15 posts
Liked in: 96 posts
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:53 am
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Arion » Tue May 28, 2013 11:34 am

Victorian Squid wrote:
Argh, no that's not what I'm--I get plenty of shadenfreude, thank you. What I was hoping you'd say was that the other people involved in the book also had large online social groups to appeal to as well as yours!

Good luck! I'm over-pledged this week, but maybe before the end. Since we've been talking in other threads about crowd-funding and people being wary of projects that get only partial funding, what do you intend to do if you fall short of your goal by, say, half?


Schadenfreude? Ich sprechen Deutsch nicht.

Don't worry, you're one of my friends I know you weren't trying to say something bad.

To answer your question, I'll publish the comic even if I get less than half of the funds.

The good thing is that I'm working now so I can cover some of the printing costs. And, also, because I'm working I don't need to "get paid", so the only one who will get money is my artist (which is fair because he has done a great work).

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue May 28, 2013 12:57 pm

Arion wrote:
Schadenfreude? Ich sprechen Deutsch nicht.

Don't worry, you're one of my friends I know you weren't trying to say something bad.

To answer your question, I'll publish the comic even if I get less than half of the funds.

The good thing is that I'm working now so I can cover some of the printing costs. And, also, because I'm working I don't need to "get paid", so the only one who will get money is my artist (which is fair because he has done a great work).


That sounds solid.

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue May 28, 2013 1:01 pm

P.S. to Keb, because I know he reads this thread too.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/mark- ... sing-doors

It's a friends' campaign to republish to great looking book by Mark Rudolf about the waning days of record stores. You might dig it. Mark's very talented, also a nice person. It's getting pretty close to making its goal, I have a feeling it will go forward in some capacity at this point.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck], MSN NewsBlogs and 60 guests

Advertisement