Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 106 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Arion » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:43 pm

Punchy wrote:
A lot of people have issues with the Wanda character, how she's not allowed to go into The Dreaming by the Moon because she's biologically a man, how she dies, how when she dies she appears as an actual woman.

It's a load of nitpicky bullshit really. As Arion says, Wanda is one of the earliest transgender characters, it's ridiculous to complain about her. It's a great step forward to even have her appear at all.

Here's an article from someone who thinks the story was transphobic, some good points, but some nutty ones too: http://www.keepyourbridgesburning.com/2012/06/the-sandman-a-game-of-you/

The rules of The Dreaming must have offended a lot of people at one point or another, that doesn't make it an example of intolerance or anything like that.
To have Wanda there was a big deal, something most authors wouldn't dare to include in their stories.

Advertisement

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 328 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:03 pm

There are 10 transgendered characters in Sandman?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:52 am

Keb wrote:There are 10 transgendered characters in Sandman?

I guess, although this article seems to count someone mentioned in passing by another character, someone we never actually see as a character, which I would disagree with.

LobsterJ
Great Scott!!!

Liked in: 56 posts

Postby LobsterJ » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:35 am

Punchy wrote:
A lot of people have issues with the Wanda character, how she's not allowed to go into The Dreaming by the Moon because she's biologically a man, how she dies, how when she dies she appears as an actual woman.

It's a load of nitpicky bullshit really. As Arion says, Wanda is one of the earliest transgender characters, it's ridiculous to complain about her. It's a great step forward to even have her appear at all.

Here's an article from someone who thinks the story was transphobic, some good points, but some nutty ones too: http://www.keepyourbridgesburning.com/2012/06/the-sandman-a-game-of-you/

There are a lot of good points here but also some crazy shit, as you said. But 1. Anything written about trans people in 1991 is going to come across a little questionable 20+ years on and 2. Anything written by a straight white male is going to get attacked by this type of hateful, nitpicky tumblr type.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 64 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:11 am

If you go into any text featuring trans people looking for transphobia you will find it. Same goes for racism, sexism and any kind of prejudice you pick. If you want to find something, you'll find it.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:14 am

Zero wrote:If you go into any text featuring trans people looking for transphobia you will find it. Same goes for racism, sexism and any kind of prejudice you pick. If you want to find something, you'll find it.

Exactly.

Probably the only way to avoid being accused of whatever-phobia is to include no minorities at all! And that's probably worse!

I don't understand minority characters to never be depicted in bad lights or have bad things happen to them.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:16 am

LobsterJ wrote:
There are a lot of good points here but also some crazy shit, as you said. But 1. Anything written about trans people in 1991 is going to come across a little questionable 20+ years on and 2. Anything written by a straight white male is going to get attacked by this type of hateful, nitpicky tumblr type.

Yeah, it's like criticising Mark Twain for using the N word, it's not acceptable today, but in 18-whatever? Historical context!

Zero
Zombie Guard

Postby Zero » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:49 am

Punchy wrote:
Exactly.

Probably the only way to avoid being accused of whatever-phobia is to include no minorities at all! And that's probably worse!

I don't understand minority characters to never be depicted in bad lights or have bad things happen to them.

Well the idea is that once trans people are accepted as 'normal' rather than something special then we can treat them as we would a 'normal' character. Since we're not there yet then exceptions are made to present them in a more positive light than we would were the character a 'normal' white dude.

Personally I feel that 'normalising' minorities is best achieved by not making a fuss and simply treating everyone the same but as I've never been on the wrong side of any kind of prejudice then I tend to defer to those who know more about it than me. It's a question of accepting that we don't live in an ideal world and that until we do certain indulgences are going to be needed.

That's why we get white criminals and black judges on CSI, and why the notion of a straight pride parade is so ludicrous.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:01 am

Zero wrote:
Well the idea is that once trans people are accepted as 'normal' rather than something special then we can treat them as we would a 'normal' character. Since we're not there yet then exceptions are made to present them in a more positive light than we would were the character a 'normal' white dude.

Personally I feel that 'normalising' minorities is best achieved by not making a fuss and simply treating everyone the same but as I've never been on the wrong side of any kind of prejudice then I tend to defer to those who know more about it than me. It's a question of accepting that we don't live in an ideal world and that until we do certain indulgences are going to be needed.

That's why we get white criminals and black judges on CSI, and why the notion of a straight pride parade is so ludicrous.

CHECK YOUR PRIVILEGE!

Zero
Zombie Guard

Postby Zero » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:04 am

SHITLORD!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:05 am

Zero wrote:SHITLORD!

CISSEXIST!

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 282 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:20 am

nietoperz wrote:Some people have little or no reading comprehension skills, I guess.

Welcome to The Outhouse, Nietoperz... Hope you survive the experience!

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 282 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:25 am

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Postby Zero » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:02 am

Punchy wrote:
CISSEXIST!

Fucking Cis. I have a trans friend and we've agreed that the term Cis is detrimental to any kind of debate because all it achieves is adding another layer of narrow terminology to be used or be accused of bigotry.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:50 am

Zero wrote:
Fucking Cis. I have a trans friend and we've agreed that the term Cis is detrimental to any kind of debate because all it achieves is adding another layer of narrow terminology to be used or be accused of bigotry.

Yeah, it's dumb. We really don't need it.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand