Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 283 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Keb » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:46 pm

Arion wrote:
You mean the latest issue or the latest trade?

The series. I've got through the first two trades and I'm already burnt out.

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 35 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:24 pm

For shits and giggles, and I read like the first two issues and liked them back before I quit comics:

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 94 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:58 pm

Keb wrote:The series. I've got through the first two trades and I'm already burnt out.

You got tired of looking for answers and coming up with more questions instead?

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:23 pm

thefourthman wrote:For shits and giggles, and I read like the first two issues and liked them back before I quit comics:

Well that was suprisingly good. I like how the details of the world were pretty much left off camera (clearly for you to obsessively buy all the tie-ins) and the intimate story with Flash and Wayne happened in the mini. I like it.

? did the event that caused it
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
Flash saving his mom
, happen in the Flash comic, or was it a last minute reveal that never happened before?

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:00 pm

Arion wrote:
You got tired of looking for answers and coming up with more questions instead?

Yeah pretty much. I did LOST in a few months and as asinine as that got, this tops it.

That's one thing I looked about 100 Bullets. No matter how many questions you asked, you got answers.

Its not even coming up with more questions. Its like they give you answers to things that will be questioned down the line. Its getting very frustrating. My theories: Zoe knew what it all was about before the Woodrun, Jade as an adult and as a kid are displaced from each other somehow, and everything Abraham does is to protect Ike.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:36 am

About half way through this...
seems fairly predictable to me so far... Like the darker edge on Batman and Alfred is lots of fun. Still not a big fan of Finch's art.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:43 pm

thefourthman wrote:About half way through this...
seems fairly predictable to me so far... Like the darker edge on Batman and Alfred is lots of fun. Still not a big fan of Finch's art.

The villian was totally telegraphed and why was the one issue written by someone I never heard of with art by Benes? Also, the last issue totally has me even more pumped for VOl 2 of Snyder's book!

On to this :

I know I have a problem... bite me.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:47 pm

Keb wrote:Yeah pretty much. I did LOST in a few months and as asinine as that got, this tops it.

That's one thing I looked about 100 Bullets. No matter how many questions you asked, you got answers.

Its not even coming up with more questions. Its like they give you answers to things that will be questioned down the line. Its getting very frustrating. My theories: Zoe knew what it all was about before the Woodrun, Jade as an adult and as a kid are displaced from each other somehow, and everything Abraham does is to protect Ike.

Having read issue # 28 all I can say is --spoiler alert-- time travel is involved.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:55 am

thefourthman wrote:The villian was totally telegraphed and why was the one issue written by someone I never heard of with art by Benes? Also, the last issue totally has me even more pumped for VOl 2 of Snyder's book!

On to this :

Interesting. Especially the evolution of the Forbes character post Nu52. I would actually like to see where Finch was planning on taking this. It was cool to read The Return again, post the Batman Incorporated i have read and knowing who is behind Leviathan.

Currently finishing up:
The origin was fascinating, especially the first encounter with Batman... Demon is interesting seeing Ra's fight someone other than Bats. It's cool, cause I didn't really like Bane when he first showed up in Knightfall, it was like he was just a big bad character to destroy batman with no story... kind of like Venom in Spidey, initially. All brawn, no story.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:55 am

thefourthman wrote:Interesting. Especially the evolution of the Forbes character post Nu52. I would actually like to see where Finch was planning on taking this. It was cool to read The Return again, post the Batman Incorporated i have read and knowing who is behind Leviathan.

Currently finishing up:
The origin was fascinating, especially the first encounter with Batman... Demon is interesting seeing Ra's fight someone other than Bats. It's cool, cause I didn't really like Bane when he first showed up in Knightfall, it was like he was just a big bad character to destroy batman with no story... kind of like Venom in Spidey, initially. All brawn, no story.

So... the end of Bane of the Demon was disconcerting, did they do something together that I missed somewhere? IT was also cool to read Beatty and Chiang's origin spread after having read Birth of the Demon, makes a lot more sense now.

On to some awesome classic stuff by way of:

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:07 pm

thefourthman wrote:The villian was totally telegraphed and why was the one issue written by someone I never heard of with art by Benes? Also, the last issue totally has me even more pumped for VOl 2 of Snyder's book!

On to this :

I won't bite you. But if you ask nicely I'll spank you.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 76 posts

Postby misac » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:28 pm

Keb wrote:X-Men: Golgotha - this is the start of the Peter Milligan stuff. I love the art. Salvador Larocca is on point for sure. The vibe of this team feels really disassembled, almost like they don't all want to be there. I found myself getting annoyed with all the romantic tension, specifically between Rogue and Gambit and Iceman, Polaris and Havok. I dunno, I just get tired of age-old relationships. Milligan's Emma Frost might have been the only thing I really liked. All the rest of the characters are a bit off. I loved Carey's X-Men run (Supernovas and Blinded by the Light) so I decided to read this (I read some of it before) but I realized again why I decided to stop reading X-Men.

You didn't follow Carey to Legacy? I think it's really underappreciated X-Men, made me really like Rogue.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:31 pm

Keb wrote:I think because I've read it and know there's very little resolve by the end of the 4th book so I'm like "whatevs". I have been picking up on little things though like in issue one when Miss Dagney is giving them the intro slide show and there'sa slide of a man killing a goat with his little son standing there. That's supposed to be Abraham and Isaac. The intent I believe is a foreshadowing of the relationship between Ike and his dad.

It took me two volumes to feel that way. :P

misac
Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:45 pm

Books of Magic – After one of the Swamp Thing trades I really wished they’d do something with all the magic characters and this was pretty much it.

Tim Hunter has the potential to be the most powerful magician of the age and it’s up to the Phantom Stranger and his group to show him the world of magic. Each issue has one of the guys (Phantom Stanger, Mister E., John Constantine, Dr. Occult) showing him a different aspect of the magic world with lots of cameos. I’d really like to see more of Dr. Occult, wanna know what his deal is.

Art was so great!

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:07 pm

misac wrote:
You didn't follow Carey to Legacy? I think it's really underappreciated X-Men, made me really like Rogue.

Naw. I tried Brubaker Uncanny and hated every minute of it soi never bothered with the rest. Plus Xavier never interested me. Should i check it out?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand