Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 374 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Keb » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:00 pm

On the other hand Sakie, you could always try that 70s Kirby stuff.

Advertisement

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1075 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:25 pm

Keb wrote:I haven't even started school yet. I've been spending my money on records though. Maybe you should get a copy of Innervisions? :P

Maybe I would know more about all this cool stuff if you were to put out a newsletter for me to subscribe too. :smt102

Honestly, I may be coming into possession of a record player relatively soon, so I may take you up on that suggestion.

Keb wrote:On the other hand Sakie, you could always try that 70s Kirby stuff.

I know, I feel like I will read the 70's Kirby stuff as soon as you read the first volume of Fear Agent. :P

Besides, I think I am leaving that for a suggestion of a nice Christmas present from the fiancé. 8)
ImageImageImage

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 374 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:49 pm

Grayson wrote:
Maybe I would know more about all this cool stuff if you were to put out a newsletter for me to subscribe too. :smt102

Honestly, I may be coming into possession of a record player relatively soon, so I may take you up on that suggestion.

I know, I feel like I will read the 70's Kirby stuff as soon as you read the first volume of Fear Agent. :P

Besides, I think I am leaving that for a suggestion of a nice Christmas present from the fiancé. 8)

You could add me to Facebook. I posted a link to a full album stream of Innervisions the other day. 8) If you do get a record player, you'll be torn between comics and vinyls.

I'll read Fear Agent as soon as I get settled into my new place. That and the Byrne FF omnibus are waiting for me.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 159 posts

Postby misac » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:59 pm

Arion wrote:
I'm sure I'd love it. I'm a big Ennis fan. I think I must have confused this earlier run with the Max title. Did Tim Bradstreet did the covers too?

http://artbyarion.blogspot.com/2012/02/ ... -john.html
http://artbyarion.blogspot.com/2012/02/ ... scott.html
http://artbyarion.blogspot.com/2012/02/ ... arles.html
http://artbyarion.blogspot.com/2012/02/ ... -paul.html

Yeah, he did the covers to the mini and the series.

Bookmarking the reviews for next week. :D

misac
Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:02 pm

LobsterJ wrote:
Yeah, at this point the only Golden Age stuff I can sit down and read and enjoy as a story and not just a cultural artifact is horror stuff.

On another topic, I just read Fairest vol. 2. God, that was embarrassing to pick up from the library. Do they think putting a naked chick on the cover of Fairest of all things is going to really spike sales? Anyhow, it was "okay" but leaves me wishing they would just stop publishing Fables et al so I could stop reading the damn things.

I read that too. It was enjoyable but I think this’ll be my last trade. I like the idea of flashbacks but I find myself not really caring at this point. :smt102

misac
Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:11 pm

Avengers Arena v.1: Kill or Die – I really liked it. It did bother me it was so much like Battle Royal and Hunger Games, I just expect more from comics and it was so blatant. I hope they explain how they snatched the kids from their respective places. It’s a tough pill to swallow that Arcade was able to kidnap someone from a SWORD base in space!

On the positive, teen angst gets to get old fast with me and it wasn’t too bad. Art was great! Kids actually look like kids.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:11 pm

Keb wrote:You could add me to Facebook. I posted a link to a full album stream of Innervisions the other day. 8) If you do get a record player, you'll be torn between comics and vinyls.

I really don't know why my mind immediately when to vinyl when you said album but I'm glad that it did. Also, Facebook doesn't appear to like "Keb" in the search bar. Sounds highly dubious to me.

I'll read Fear Agent as soon as I get settled into my new place. That and the Byrne FF omnibus are waiting for me.

8)
ImageImageImage

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:25 pm

I have two new turntables I need to sort out. See if I can rig one up in the shop. I have probably over a hundred records I've bought since my old turntable died that I've never listened to.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:13 pm

Keb wrote:I posted a link to a full album stream of Innervisions the other day

Suggestion taken and greatly appreciated. :like
ImageImageImage

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 107 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:16 pm

misac wrote:
Yeah, he did the covers to the mini and the series.

Bookmarking the reviews for next week. :D

And that's the reason why I got confused.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:53 pm

Archer & Armstrong Vol. 1: The Michelangelo Code - Ok, I am going to just go ahead and throw this out there: I am familiar with the previous Valiant works but I never read them so I don't really know very much about them. That being said, I have heard nothing but good things about the relaunched Valiant universe, particularly this title, so I decided to give it a try. Wow, I am glad that I did.

Although it's rather short, only 4 issues in length, the first volume of the new Archer & Armstrong series is an extremely fun book. Obadiah Archer is a young man, raised by his parents alongside his 22 siblings on a Christian compound and trained for only one mission; kill an ancient evil known only as "He Who Shall Not Be Named." Armstrong is a hard living immortal, who drinks and sleeps his way across the world to cope with the things he has done and seen throughout his long life. When their paths intersect, Archer's world is turned upside down and events that are all too familiar to Armstrong are set in motion that can change the course of the entire world. Fred Van Lente plays around with some interesting and familiar concepts, particularly with religion and faith, and while he doesn't dig to deeply he establishes them well enough to speak to most audiences.

I love Clayton Henry's art and I always have. His style adds to the fun action/adventure setting of the book and it really compliments the dynamic between the stoic Archer and the surly Armstrong. Plus, Buddist Nazi Monks! :shock: While I would love to see Henry working on some high profile, mainstream books, I am content to selfishly have him continue working on this little gem.

Bottom line, I have a couple of Atomic Robo trades to read first but as soon as I finish those I will head to my LCS and pick up the second volume of this series.
ImageImageImage

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:09 pm

Grayson wrote:Image

Archer & Armstrong Vol. 1: The Michelangelo Code - Ok, I am going to just go ahead and throw this out there: I am familiar with the previous Valiant works but I never read them so I don't really know very much about them. That being said, I have heard nothing but good things about the relaunched Valiant universe, particularly this title, so I decided to give it a try. Wow, I am glad that I did.

Although it's rather short, only 4 issues in length, the first volume of the new Archer & Armstrong series is an extremely fun book. Obadiah Archer is a young man, raised by his parents alongside his 22 siblings on a Christian compound and trained for only one mission; kill an ancient evil known only as "He Who Shall Not Be Named." Armstrong is a hard living immortal, who drinks and sleeps his way across the world to cope with the things he has done and seen throughout his long life. When their paths intersect, Archer's world is turned upside down and events that are all too familiar to Armstrong are set in motion that can change the course of the entire world. Fred Van Lente plays around with some interesting and familiar concepts, particularly with religion and faith, and while he doesn't dig to deeply he establishes them well enough to speak to most audiences.

I love Clayton Henry's art and I always have. His style adds to the fun action/adventure setting of the book and it really compliments the dynamic between the stoic Archer and the surly Armstrong. Plus, Buddist Nazi Monks! :shock: While I would love to see Henry working on some high profile, mainstream books, I am content to selfishly have him continue working on this little gem.

Bottom line, I have a couple of Atomic Robo trades to read first but as soon as I finish those I will head to my LCS and pick up the second volume of this series.

Sounds like Valiant has some pretty good stuff, eh?

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:21 pm

Arion wrote:Sounds like Valiant has some pretty good stuff, eh?

Unfortunately, I can't really comment about their line as a whole although I have heard good things. I picked up the first 2 issues of the new Quantum and Woody series and enjoyed them but Archer & Armstrong is a series that I have been wanting to read for awhile now. Once I have caught up I intend to branch out, try Harbinger next, and pick up the first issue of Eternal Warrior when it is released next month.
ImageImageImage

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:22 pm

Grayson wrote:
Unfortunately, I can't really comment about their line as a whole although I have heard good things. I picked up the first 2 issues of the new Quantum and Woody series and enjoyed them but Archer & Armstrong is a series that I have been wanting to read for awhile now. Once I have caught up I intend to branch out, try Harbinger next, and pick up the first issue of Eternal Warrior when it is released next month.

I found Bloodshot # 1 for 70 cents so I ordered it. I'll read it in two weeks or so.

theflyingwaffle
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 12 posts

Postby theflyingwaffle » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:23 am

Grayson wrote:Image

When I was younger and would buy random grab bags of comics I would always end up getting a bunch of Valiant comics in them which I never ended up reading because I always thought that the artwork was boring and kind of mediocre compared to what other publishers were putting out. I was unaware of the fact that they have relaunched the Valiant Universe. I may have to check out some of their new titles.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand