Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 863 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Grayson » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:43 pm

Atomic Robo Volume 3: Atomic Robo and the Shadow From Beyond Time - I have already talked about how I enjoy the fact that this series doesn't feel the need to follow a conventional time line from one volume to the next and this volume is another excellent example of that. Atomic Robo and the Shadow From Beyond Time follows Atomic Robo and an almost entirely new cast of characters, including H.P. Lovecraft and Carl Sagan, through 4 different eras in his life. The drama at the center of each of these eras revolves around a Lovecraftian horror from beyond the borders of our universe.

Once again, Brian Clevinger crafts a wonderful story fusing science, adventure, humor, and mystery into a brilliant and fun world that completely sucks you in while Scott Wegener's art continues to remain consistently complimentary to the heart of the story. If you are experiencing fatigue from the big 2, I would highly recommend Atomic Robo.
ImageImageImage

Advertisement

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:48 pm

theflyingwaffle wrote:
When I was younger and would buy random grab bags of comics I would always end up getting a bunch of Valiant comics in them which I never ended up reading because I always thought that the artwork was boring and kind of mediocre compared to what other publishers were putting out. I was unaware of the fact that they have relaunched the Valiant Universe. I may have to check out some of their new titles.

Because you have such fond memories about Valiant..?

theflyingwaffle
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 12 posts

Postby theflyingwaffle » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:10 pm

Arion wrote:
Because you have such fond memories about Valiant..?

My logic is, since it has been relaunched, maybe it has improved from when I was a kid. In other words, I might give the new valiant comics a shot and see if I like them.

theflyingwaffle
Mad Hatter

Postby theflyingwaffle » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:16 pm

Criminal Macabre-No Peace for Dead Men.
Pretty entertaining. I was unfamiliar with the series and bought this on a whim. Had some cameos from other Dark Horse characters like Goon and Hellboy. Also featured werewolves, vampires, zombies and so forth. Also really liked the gritty artwork. Worth checking out if you are into the paranormal dective type genre.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:22 pm

theflyingwaffle wrote:My logic is, since it has been relaunched, maybe it has improved from when I was a kid. In other words, I might give the new valiant comics a shot and see if I like them.

For me, it was never that I didn't like the artwork or the characters, it was just that I was younger and characters like X-O Manowar or Bloodshot didn't appeal to me as much as the more popular characters from DC or Marvel. Plus, while the previous Valiant line was in it's prime I didn't have as much money to spend on comics so it was easier to buy books that featured characters that I knew.
ImageImageImage

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:23 pm

theflyingwaffle wrote:
My logic is, since it has been relaunched, maybe it has improved from when I was a kid. In other words, I might give the new valiant comics a shot and see if I like them.

Ah, got it.
I think the problem with old Valiant comics is that they had a very irregular lineup of artists, on one hand you had masters like Barry Windsor-Smith and on the other hand you had people that nobody knew back then and certainy no one remembers now.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:53 pm

Archer & Armstrong Volume 2: Wrath Of The Eternal Warrior - I know I said that I was going to wait until I read both of the Atomic Robo trades that I have but I found this at a comic store up the street and I had to pick it up. :oops:

Wrath of the Eternal Warrior picks up soon after the first volume ends. Archer & Armstrong are left with no time to catch their breath of process everything that has recently happened to them. Unfortunately, their actions indirectly led to the death of the current Geomancer and this death has drawn the attention of Armstrong's brother, the Eternal Warrior! Now on the run, Archer & Armstrong must try to evade the Eternal Warrior long enough to find the Geomancer's successor while also racing against a rogue faction of the Sect who are obsessed with bringing about the end of all existence. Fred Van Lente continues to make the world of Archer & Armstrong an extremely fun and exciting place while he also dips his toes into some high concept ideas. Personally, I am torn between wanting him to jump further into these concepts and being content with skirting around them. I'm sure that as the story continues to progress, Van Lente will need to go deeper eventually so for now, I will be content because everything else works so well.

Truth be told, I am a little disappointed that Clayton Henry didn't return for the second volume of this series. He did such a great job with The Michelangelo Code and I have always been a fan of his work, that it was a little difficult for me to discover that he wasn't the permanent artist. Having said that, Emanuela Lupacchino did a fantastic job stepping in and picking up where Henry left off. Stylistically speaking, her art really isn't that different from Henry so the change isn't distracting at all.
ImageImageImage

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:21 pm

Grayson wrote:
For me, it was never that I didn't like the artwork or the characters, it was just that I was younger and characters like X-O Manowar or Bloodshot didn't appeal to me as much as the more popular characters from DC or Marvel. Plus, while the previous Valiant line was in it's prime I didn't have as much money to spend on comics so it was easier to buy books that featured characters that I knew.

I never bought anything from Valiant because I never saw any Valiant books here in Perú. I only learned about their existence a few years ago.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:28 pm

Arion wrote:I never bought anything from Valiant because I never saw any Valiant books here in Perú. I only learned about their existence a few years ago.

It's easy to take things like that for granted with the Internet and websites like Amazon now.
ImageImageImage

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:35 pm

Grayson wrote:
It's easy to take things like that for granted with the Internet and websites like Amazon now.

Well, today I can buy every title I want from DCBS, if I tried to go to a Peruvian comic store I'd probably buy only the most popular stuff from Marvel and DC. You don't even find Image titles here (except for The Walking Dead). Nobody here knows any indy publisher.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:02 pm

Arion wrote:Well, today I can buy every title I want from DCBS, if I tried to go to a Peruvian comic store I'd probably buy only the most popular stuff from Marvel and DC. You don't even find Image titles here (except for The Walking Dead). Nobody here knows any indy publisher.

That's crazy. I grew up in a pretty small town but for awhile we had a really cool Pawn Shop that was also a Pet Store and the owner's son had a small comic shop in the back, so I was able to get my hands on some pretty cool stuff. When they closed, it was either the local drug store that had a small selection of Marvel, DC, and Image or drive an hour to the next closest comic store.
ImageImageImage

theflyingwaffle
Mad Hatter

Postby theflyingwaffle » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:48 pm

Arion wrote:
I never bought anything from Valiant because I never saw any Valiant books here in Perú. I only learned about their existence a few years ago.

I didn't know you were from Peru, Arion. It always amazes me how message boards and forums attract people from all over the world. It's kind of cool.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 297 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:52 pm

Got the latest Chew book but it went in the box (which is now in the car... WEDNESDAY!) so I'll have to wait that one out. Got what I think is the latest Gødland book (5) as well. We'll see what happens. As it stand I'm just reading some Hickman Avengers stuff. Got through the first 13 issues.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:34 pm

Keb wrote:Got the latest Chew book but it went in the box (which is now in the car... WEDNESDAY!) so I'll have to wait that one out. Got what I think is the latest Gødland book (5) as well. We'll see what happens. As it stand I'm just reading some Hickman Avengers stuff. Got through the first 13 issues.

Damn, I knew it was coming up but it seems like you were just telling us about it a couple of week ago. Hopefully everything goes smoothly for you.
ImageImageImage

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 297 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:16 am

Grayson wrote:
Damn, I knew it was coming up but it seems like you were just telling us about it a couple of week ago. Hopefully everything goes smoothly for you.

Thanks Sakie.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand