Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 226 posts

Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby GHERU » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:54 pm

Keb wrote:That shit is nuts.

And you complain about Hickman books...

to be fair, I wasn't all that impressed with The Filth the first time I read it, and this time even less so
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

Advertisement

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 226 posts

Postby GHERU » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:55 pm

Arion wrote:
I must read it.

not really, no
Imagine The Invisibles without anyone around to try and keep Morrison on task
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:25 pm

I highly recommend The Filth, Arion!

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:49 pm

GHERU wrote:not really, no
Imagine The Invisibles without anyone around to try and keep Morrison on task

Oh no, now I'm conflicted.
What about the art?

Victorian Squid wrote:I highly recommend The Filth, Arion!

GHERU, meet Victorian Squid. Victorian Squid, meet GHERU.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:07 pm

Arion wrote:
Oh no, now I'm conflicted.
What about the art?

GHERU, meet Victorian Squid. Victorian Squid, meet GHERU.

It's one of Morrison's more underrated books, but it's from the time when he was still full of ideas and hallucinations. I think you would appreciate the ways he manipulates context in it It's not an easy or entirely comfortable read, again maybe something you might like about it.

the art is rich with detail.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 82 posts

Postby misac » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:14 pm

Fantastic Four by Hickman the last one – This felt like a bunch of one shots tied together instead of a series. But I still really liked it because it was Reed centric, tied up loose ends/set up things for the future. Hickman “cleaned” up after himself and I appreciate that. He even dealt with the Nu Earth bullshit, I would have preferred a Reed/Sue issue than that.

One of the things I didn’t get was that early in the trade they remove a tumor from Willie Lumpkin’s brain but they don’t do it to the Wizard. Who also has a tumor that might be making him eviler.

Art was great. Ron Garney I really like. Ryan Stegman is someone I like but he always seems to be on something I don’t want to pick up, so I enjoyed this. But Giuseppe Camuncoli (breakdowns) and Karl Kesel (finishes) stole the show for me. Maybe cause it was Mr. Fantastic and Black Panther but I really liked it. I’d like to see them work together regularly. Really looking forward to Reed and T’Challa palling around in New Avengers. Reed is so fucking great!

FF by Hickman the last one – This was tying lose ends too Loved the issue set in Wakanda with the kids. Dragon Man carrying a zebra. And the moloids, “It’s like a bath.” “But Bigger.” “But Better.” They were fun in this trade.

The whole trade was really fun but things did get serious with the set up for Infinity I assume. I didn’t like that Sue didn’t get any love. She was just around. Ben got an issue in Fantastic Four and Johnny and the kids were featured in this.

Art was great except one issue, the kids had giant bug eyes. The Wakanda issue was my favorite. I don’t remember what was the last book I read with Nick Dragotta and I thought he was so great and it continues here. The scene with Spidey when the meet the Inhumans was really funny.

Might have to get the Avengers hardcovers, they still haven’t solicited the trades.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:25 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
It's one of Morrison's more underrated books, but it's from the time when he was still full of ideas and hallucinations. I think you would appreciate the ways he manipulates context in it It's not an easy or entirely comfortable read, again maybe something you might like about it.

the art is rich with detail.

I know Morrison can be difficult sometimes, but I always forgive his youthful excesses.

ziza9
Designer Interactive

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Finally...

Postby ziza9 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:39 pm

GHERU wrote:re-reading The Filth

I re-read it once a year. It's my favorite Morrison work. I think the excess of idea ejaculation (just came up with that) almost makes it more enjoyable for me than The Invisibles.
Dark Angel Saga > AvX

Punchedugly.blogspot.com

ziza9
Designer Interactive

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Finally...

Postby ziza9 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:49 pm

Hit up the Goodwill Bookstore in Culver City again this week. Grabbed Invincible (because everyone keeps telling me I need to get into it) Volume 2: Eight is Enough, Wildcats Vicious Circles (so long single issues, hello more room in the closet), and this,

All for $3 total.

Cowboys is another Vertigo Crime mini-hardcover. Good solid modern hard boiled crime drama. Mix in lots of sex, violence, and behind the scenes manipulation and it was a solid late night read.
Dark Angel Saga > AvX

Punchedugly.blogspot.com

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 37 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:26 am

thefourthman wrote:Image
Sin City Vol 2: A Dame to Kill For

God, I forgot how much I love this stuff. the ham fisted noir dialogue, the amazing contrast in the art, the interplay of the various stories in the background. Seriously great comics.

Next up:
FF Vol 1: Fantastic Faux

What the hell is up with the numbering? I get it, but it doesn't tell anyone where to go to see the beginning of the story. THey should have made the Fantastic Four Volume 1, a Fantastic Four/FF Vol 1 or something.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 843 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:08 pm

Spider-Man 2099 Vol. 1 - Nothing spectacular, just a fun read. Peter David creates an exciting new world for a different take on what Spider-Man is and supposed to be. Honestly, with the concepts of corporations taking over entire cities and the widening gap between the upper and lower class, Spider-Man 2099 is just a relevant today as it was originally and I would love to see this series make a return in the near future.
ImageImageImage

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:56 pm

ziza9 wrote:
I re-read it once a year. It's my favorite Morrison work. I think the excess of idea ejaculation (just came up with that) almost makes it more enjoyable for me than The Invisibles.

Idea ejaculation . I love it.
I'll go get some tissues now.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 294 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:23 pm

Godland vol. 1: Hello Cosmic

Everyone told me to read this and as neat as it is, I'm not sold entirely. I love love love the art and the concepts seem pretty cool but I've never been a fan of Casey's writing. I don't know why but I don't love this series. If I have the time/money, I'll invest in vols. 2 and 3 but right now this doesn't sit high on a list of priorities.

The Invisibles vol. 1: Say You Want a Revolution

Partly inspired by RU reading the Filth, I decided to give the Invisibles another go. It's weird reading this series some 7 or 8 years after I read it the first time. I'm not wholly impressed with everything Morrison is telling me in this go-round, but I am really picking up a lot of the metafictional storytelling elements of the series. As ever, enjoyed the second story immensely and I'm looking forward to Apocalypstick.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:45 pm

I'm going to put small press comics here too because it's the only thread for comic reading that gets any action these days and if there were a similar small press comics thread no one would read it.

A new comic by Cara Bean about her experiences being a high school art teacher for the first time. Funny and touching. Probably some good advice for young teachers too. It's always interesting to see how people draw themselves as cartoons. Ms Bean has a nice, clean style that I want to see more of.

Luckily I have her two books about her obsession with gorillas too!

I have these for sale in the shop, or of course if anyone here is interested.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:30 pm

Keb wrote:Godland vol. 1: Hello Cosmic

Everyone told me to read this and as neat as it is, I'm not sold entirely. I love love love the art and the concepts seem pretty cool but I've never been a fan of Casey's writing. I don't know why but I don't love this series. If I have the time/money, I'll invest in vols. 2 and 3 but right now this doesn't sit high on a list of priorities.

The Invisibles vol. 1: Say You Want a Revolution

Partly inspired by RU reading the Filth, I decided to give the Invisibles another go. It's weird reading this series some 7 or 8 years after I read it the first time. I'm not wholly impressed with everything Morrison is telling me in this go-round, but I am really picking up a lot of the metafictional storytelling elements of the series. As ever, enjoyed the second story immensely and I'm looking forward to Apocalypstick.

I read Say You Want a Revolution such a long time ago. I need to re-read it.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand